Replies

• Fitnessgirl0913
    Fitnessgirl0913 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    I work in an office where sewers and junk took is always on hand and either breakfast or lunch is provided at least a few times a month but it is rarely healthy. How do I turn down these things that I am expected to eat without causing issues or hurting someone's feelings?

Working in an open sewer and landfill sounds unpleasant and hazardous. Definitely do not eat your meals there. Have you talked to your local OSHA office about this?

Oh, you. xD

Now I'm actually wondering what that word was supposed to be. "took" is obviously supposed to be "food" but what would sewers be?

Sweets?

I'm the worst about auto-correct fails, so I have nothing but sympathy for the OP :lol:

Yessss, thank you. That must be it. I generally only post on the forums when I'm on a computer partially for ease of typing, but also because I'm so rotten with autocorrect too.

It's even worse when you create a post making light of an autocorrect fail and end up with an autocorrect fail yourself.

This is why 80% of my posts are edited. Of course I usually notice after they've already been quoted... :laugh:

I am horrible with auto correct and my most unfortunate ones always seem to happen when I am texting a client on an agency issued phone :# However most of my clients are used to my clumsy fingers by now so they just laugh it off but if I get a new client it can be quite embarrassing.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I just say....oh thankyou!!! I will be in there in a moment.
    Of course I never do :D
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Store bought items for non-birthdays or celebrations - I have no problem whatsoever just saying "no thanks" and walking away. If you get emotional about me not eating a donut that you just randomly bought on your way into the office, you have issues.

Store bought items for birthdays or celebrations - This is infrequent and it means something to someone, so I make an effort to eat something.

Homemade items - tough call. If I am reasonably comfortable that you don't hate us all and want to poison us and that you don't prepare the food on the same surface where your cat walks after it uses its litter box, I will probably eat it.

A good mental image will always do the trick of "keep away goodies". Meow :s
  • austinwb8
    austinwb8 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I work in an office where sewers and junk took is always on hand and either breakfast or lunch is provided at least a few times a month but it is rarely healthy. How do I turn down these things that I am expected to eat without causing issues or hurting someone's feelings?

You have to pick your battles. I just had to sample a cupcake made by may assistant. I tried talking my way out of it politely but finally gave in. If it was someone else's, I would have stood my ground.

A bite won't hurt anything.....just put in a little extra work in the gym to erase it....
  • wyeth84
    wyeth84 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    or take a small tiny piece and toss it when nobody is watching. That's my trick when I really can't ignore it or just say no.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    If you get emotional about me not eating a donut that you just randomly bought on your way into the office, you have issues.
    THIS

• kcgcchit
    kcgcchit Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ok just found out...seriously right this minute...the bosses wife is going to bring in these stupendous donuts every Friday...OMG...this is going to be torture
  • LisaLethal
    LisaLethal Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I will usually just throw in a little white lie... "Oh shoot, I'd love to... but I just ate." Or a good ol, "Ah dang, I would totally but what I brought is going to go bad if I don't eat it today." Now the planned potlucks are a bit tricky. I usually sign up for a healthier dish, and load up on that and try to find a few other items that are high in protein or load my plate with veggies so it looks like I'm partaking. No one really notices what you have or don't have on your plate, or if you mention, "Gee thanks I'll get one in just a few when I'm done working on this."... they will typically forget all about you. :)
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Try working in an elementary school...kids would constantly offer me cupcakes for birthdays. I would take one say, "thank you, I'll save it for lunch" and then dump in teachers' lounge trash can.

No hurt feelings.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Try working in an elementary school...kids would constantly offer me cupcakes for birthdays. I would take one say, "thank you, I'll save it for lunch" and then dump in teachers' lounge trash can.

No hurt feelings.

Ya, I once had a neighbor who was an elementary school teacher - she used to share her Valentine's Day candy around our apartment complex.
  • Troutrouter1968
    Troutrouter1968 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Be a jerk at the office and no one will ever offer you anything. Works for me.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    kali31337 wrote: »
    By boss often brings Dunkin Munchkins to the office. I may have told him I was so happy that he didn't today and if I would have kicked him in the shins....they sit right outside my cube and I have to walk by them EVERY TIME I leave my cube...

Those donuts are here today. Nope! I'm ignoring them and will drink my water. Luckily i'm taking a half day today so I only have 30 minutes of temptation left. To reward myself, I'm take the mile walk home instead of taking the train since the weather is BEAUTIFUL today!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I say no most of the time but have certain things I'll almost always say yes to...like donuts from one particular (local) place. Now, I might have to change my M.O. if they were bringing in those donuts weekly. But for now, that works out well because it's every couple of months. The rest of the stuff I just pass on.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    If someone offers me something directly I just say no thanks. Most of the time people just leave something in the kitchen area and people help themselves.

I have a rule that I mostly follow - no sweets until after dinner. This has helped me avoid eating most of the treats people bring in. One of my co-workers is a really good baker. Occasionally I will snag a cookie she makes and bring it home to eat in the evening. But most of the time they are all gone before I get a chance!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    I used to work in a bakery. I just ignored most of what was being made. Luckily I'm not too big on sweets.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    There's always food being brought into my office...I've never noticed any kind of expectation that everyone should eat it...it's just there if you want it. If there were, I don't really see any big deal in saying, "no thanks...I already ate" or whatever.

I've learned after years of doing this that there are temptations everywhere. Sometimes I indulge and other times I just ignore them and walk away. In most cases, I don't find what's being brought into the office to be of particularly good quality...mostly commercial stuff. Also, it's sitting there in the open with the 95 other people in the office rummaging through the doughnut box which is kind of gross. I'm more tempted when someone brings in homemade stuff, but even then I often wonder about the sanitary conditions at their home and in their kitchen. I've been to a lot of people's homes, and they don't have the same sanitary standards I do.

100% this for when I worked in an office.
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    It's a daily struggle for me too. I work in a large public library where it's common to have leftover cakes, cookies, donuts, chips from programs where the patrons didn't consume everything (and the lucky staff gets what's left). Not to mention all the celebrations, retirement parties, and whatever else people feel like dumping into the break room. I just take a small piece of something I like, track it, and call it a day. For instance, yesterday we had a whole stockpile of Valentine's Day sweets and Entenmanns cakes. I took one Italian style bakery cookie (because I absolutely love those and consider them a treat), and ignored the rest. It takes a lot of discipline but it can be done.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I used to work in a bakery. I just ignored most of what was being made. Luckily I'm not too big on sweets.

I have only worked around food once and it was retail, not freshly baked. But I found that to be the case for me also. I could have all of the cookies, brownies, danish, etc... and I never ate it. A lot of my coworkers had something on every break and complained they were gaining weight from that. The smell in the store which was pleasant to customers kind of made me nauseous or I just didn't notice it. I've always been a lover of sweets but being around it all of the time made it less appealing to me! I actually lost weight in the year that I worked for that company. Even now if I am faced with good chocolate, ice cream, or a donut, it's generally tempting - but I am not interested in any of the goods my former employer sold.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options

I have only worked around food once and it was retail, not freshly baked. But I found that to be the case for me also. I could have all of the cookies, brownies, danish, etc... and I never ate it. A lot of my coworkers had something on every break and complained they were gaining weight from that. The smell in the store which was pleasant to customers kind of made me nauseous or I just didn't notice it. I've always been a lover of sweets but being around it all of the time made it less appealing to me! I actually lost weight in the year that I worked for that company. Even now if I am faced with good chocolate, ice cream, or a donut, it's generally tempting - but I am not interested in any of the goods my former employer sold.

Exactly this! Although the smell was enticing so to speak, it eventually became ugh. This sometimes happens at home too! I'll cook a huge elaborate meal and barely eat any of it since I've been smelling it while cooking.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    My problem too, thanks for the ideas!!!