1st Workout!

So...I did a thing and joined a local gym. Where there are TV's all over with different shows, people walking around with earbuds in rocking out on treadmills, elliptical machines and folks doing strength training on all sorts of big hunks of metal that I still have yet to figure out how to operate. Muscles, tight pants, sweat and that weird feeling if you dare make eye contact with anyone in passing. I havent stepped foot in a gym in ages!!!!! By visual observations of seasoned gym-goers I am learning gym "ettiquet". Did anyone else feel out of place starting out?? I'm a 5'7 326 pound very out of shape momma and while I did see others of similar stature, it was still somewhat intimidating! All awkwardness aside, I managed to do 1/2 hour on treadmill and 10 minutes on the elliptical. Yeah, me!! Anyway, any insight on how to get passed this awkward feeling, please let me know.

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Good for you! I have felt out of place at every gym I have been to the first few times I went, and again if I started using a different area of the gym (pool, free weights, etc.). Don't let that feeling deter you. Don't focus on other people, just do your thing. You should feel less awkward after going a few times. If there is equipment you are interested in but don't know how to use, ask the front desk if someone can show you or look online.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    d3tm97f8r4dy.gifoutstanding keep up the fantastic work <3
  • vetklep88
    vetklep88 Posts: 7 Member
    I know how that can be lol. Most of the people that are training at my gym are pretty buff dudes. But in the end we all go for our own goals. Just focus on that. We all have to start somewhere.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    awesome! keep it up!
  • msdelgrosso18
    msdelgrosso18 Posts: 5 Member
    Way to go and you got this!!!!
  • daygirl5000
    daygirl5000 Posts: 38 Member
    B) Good for you
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Big first step to facing the intimidation factor. The fact you got out there and rocked it, says so much about you! Way to go! What a wonderful accomplishment! Keep up the awesome job! :smile:
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Awesome job taking the first step! The only insight I have is that it gets easier each time. The best way to get over the awkwardness is just to keep going.
  • LisaMinn1
    LisaMinn1 Posts: 8 Member
    You've got this! The first step is the toughest. I started again yesterday too. Don't worry about others, honestly most are 100% focused on themselves. Grab your earbuds, make a playlist of great songs and work out. Each workout is going to make you feel more confident. Talk to others in the locker room. You might find a buddy to workout with. I got tired of just working out alone and a buddy will definitely motivate you to hit the gym more often.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    The feeling awkward / self-conscious when joining a gym thing is pretty common and a frequent topic here so you're definitely not alone.

The thing that might help is to remember that you're really not that interesting =). In all seriousness everyone there is so focused on themselves. They all have their own goals, missions and stuff to deal with that you probably don't even pop up on their radar. 99% of the time all their thinking about is their next set or getting their work out done and taking off.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I've been in and out of gyms for most of my life and a regular gym goer for the last 6 years. In the last 6 years I have belonged to 5 different gyms. Each change was awkward at first because everything was new...didn't know anybody, etc. It usually takes me about a month or so to get acclimated. So it's not just noob gym goers who have that issue...I think most people are uncomfortable walking into a new place whether that's a new job, the gym, new church, etc.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    I've been really into consistent training for some time now. I am inspired by folks who are in great shape and working hard to stay fit. I am also inspired by those who not in great shape and are getting started. I fall in between on that spectrum, but am moving consistently toward the fit part. I admire anybody who puts their apprehension aside and steps out of their comfort zone to get started. As a somewhat social person, I get to know people over time that I see regularly. Most of the folks in really good shape were not always that way. They had to start somewhere. A handful have always been fit. It's been my experience that virtually no one actually "looks down" on somebody getting started.

I've also found that the days I "don't want to go" many times turn out to be the most rewarding. Congrats on your first great decision. Now go make the next one.