Pre Workout Nutrition and Supplements

How do y’all like to get prepped for your workouts? Fasted? Little something? A bunch of carbs? Some fats and protein? What kind of pre workout supplements y’all take?

Replies

• jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    A banana and ghost legend pre
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Espresso and candy
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Black coffee.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    If in the morning, then either black coffee or pre-workout (currently using C4). If in the afternoon, then it is a couple hours after lunch and I eat dinner afterwards. Sometimes I will do coffee with a scoop of protein about an hour or 2 before or pre-workout if I am feeling tired. I don't do well eating anything more than a light snack before working out.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Let the science lead you...

https://youtu.be/AaHORiSeDl8
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited February 2019
    Caffeine + beta alanine + citrulline malate + Creatine HCl
    Occasionally ephedrine SO4 + gauifenisen (BRONKAID)
    Empty stomach/no food (personal preference)
  • Iain__Fraser
    Iain__Fraser Posts: 26 Member
    A banana for me. At weekends ON preworkout. Also, the occasional red bull sugar free.💥
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    It all depends as others have said.

Personally I have my protein about 2 hrs prior to work out, then have some carbs about an hour out. 30 mins I have a carb drink with EAAs, which is also what I have intra as well.
  • letsgain01
    letsgain01 Posts: 106 Member
    edited February 2019
    I don't. I get up, use the potty, grab water, work out. If it isn't the first thing I do, I will not do it.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    nothing, I eat a meal about an hour - 1.5 hours pre workout, then another meal post workout.

When I have the caloric budget (ie - when not cutting), then pomegranate or pomegranate juice and a square of 90% dark chocolate. And sit back and watch them pumps pumping.
  • karlpm
    karlpm Posts: 78 Member
    Nothing for me, get up get to gym and drink water through out.

I'll go a BCAA and caffeine drink if I've been training consistently heavy for a while and I'm feeling tired.

I get up at 4:15 and train at 5:10 so its more sleep that affects my performance.
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    jenkae1012 wrote: »
    How do y’all like to get prepped for your workouts? Fasted? Little something? A bunch of carbs? Some fats and protein? What kind of pre workout supplements y’all take?

Good question! I guess it depends on what your goals are. I'm currently in a cutting phase, so no carbs for me pre-workout. But I do make sure to eat a protein meal/snack at least 1.5 to 2 hours prior to working out. I like to have protein and some fats in that small meal. And since my body is used to eating every 2 to 3 hours, I feel like I'm in somewhat of a fasted state when I'm getting started at the gym.

I make a pre-workout drink 1 hour before gym time, which includes Leucine, Glutamine, Creatine, L-Citruline Malate, 100-150mg of Caffeine powder, & Beta-Alanine. Sometimes I'll shake those powders with my non-carbonated sugar-free Rockstar drink and yumm!!!

What does cutting and not carbs pre-workout have to do with each other? Are you attempting to get glycogen depleted? Are your workouts several hours long?

Also, there is not proven demostrable advantage to training fasted for fat loss in a cut. Results training fasted or not depend on overall calorie intake. You seem to be making in much harder than it has to be. If those are your preferences, fine, but they don't give you any fat loss advantage and the lack of carbs are potentially detrimental to workout performance.

Yea I read that and was gonna just let it slide lol. But I agree if anything while cutting the carbs should be targeted before and after the session. But this would be a very advanced/end game prep strategy anyways.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    edited February 2019
    Baked beans and cheese on toast and a nespresso, just a simple whey protein powder in fruit smoothies.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    I typically workout best fasted. Typical routine:

Stop eating around 8-9pm, only black coffee and water the next morning
    Take preworkout and head to gym for lifting at lunch, so about 12-1pm
    Take protein shake after workout breaking the fast and then eat something for lunch
    After work go to the gym for a cardio session (this is a more recent addition while I do a cut)
    Take a protein shake and eat dinner
    Rinse/repeat

Obviously there's plenty of days where things have to be adjusted on the fly but at least with that I have kind of a base for how my body seems to prefer things.
  • Glad everyone has tons of ways to get into the gym! Whatever works best for you to get to the gym and kill it. Even if you’re not feeling it that day, you find a way and get there and give it your best. Keep working hard everyone!
  • herpjunkie111
    herpjunkie111 Posts: 1 Member
    Morning session workout for me starts at 5:00 am so my morning pwo is 2 cups black coffee, 100 grams of carbs and 30 grams of protein (homemade shake) plus beta-alanine and leucine tablets. I typically stay away from the store bought pwo during bulk and honestly don't like them during cuts, who knows what's really in there and afte two weeks or so you build a tolerance to it. Also seems to cause dependence issues. Learn to wo without that crap. ECA stack better for cuts anyway.
  • Interesting topic!
    I see most of people replied here drinking coffee before workout. I do not drink it at all. I like green tea more.
    Recently I read an article about natural pre workout supplements.
    There a lot of useful information for the begginers, so if someone interested, check it out.
  • doug39250
    doug39250 Posts: 2 Member
    I just downloaded this app it’s nice to see so many people sharing what works for them. My usual pre work out is a cup of egg whites and a bagel an hour before the gym. 30 minutes before I go I have creatine citraline beta alanine and some taurine.