how many calories does zumba burn?

2»

Replies

• How accurate are HRM with a strap? My friend and I are taking the same class, but we burn very different calories 550 vs. 950??

Mine is extremely accurate if you get a good one with a chest strap..I have a polar FT4 and it takes in your demographics, age heights weight and then sets your "zone" and i have had absolutely no problems with mine.. you and your friend burn different amounts of cals bc your a different people, no two body's are similiar one could be taller heavier and your heart beats faster or slower all those are taken into account!
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/calories_burned.asp?exercise=320 Use this calculator to find out based on your weight.

I just tried this calculator to see how accurate it was and it was pretty close to what my HRM says I burn in an hour of intense zumba! I would use this to get a good estimate. However, I would definitely recommend investing in an HRM!

Interesting, this calculator is 105 cals LESS than what http://www.zumbacalories.com/ says

Hmmm....

That doesn't surprise me at all. I found MFP and most other websites were highly overestimating the calories burned during my work-outs. Best thing I ever did was invest in a HRM! Mine is a Polar FT4 with a chest strap and I think it's a much better estimate of what I'm actually burning.

On a side note, some Zumba classes are extremely boring and lame while others are the total opposite. I always encourage people to try out more than one with a few different instructors to be able to make a decision on it. I'm lucky that at my gym we have all great instructors and you're moving constantly the whole time and sweating by the second song. I've been to other classes though that I barely break a sweat and I've actually left another one halfway through because I was barely burning anything. Every instructor is different and they make a HUGE difference.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    The average person who takes a high intensity class should burn up too 1000 calories. It depends on how hard you push yourself and your instructors style of dance. I'm getting my license in Zumba in two weeks so if you have any other questions feel free to ask.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    The average person who takes a high intensity class should burn up too 1000 calories. It depends on how hard you push yourself and your instructors style of dance. I'm getting my license in Zumba in two weeks so if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

When I work out really hard and sustained with my heart rate up above 90% sometimes up to 99%) I can burn 600 calories in an hour.

I have to say, if you're burning 1,000 calories an hour in even a high-intensity Zumba class, either your HRM is wrong, you're REALLY out of shape or you way at least 250 pounds.

That's a VERY high burn for any type of exercise and I would question it.
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 846 Member
    I did Zumba friday with my HRM on & did a medium intensity work out & burned 700 cals. Before I had the HRM I used to log about 500 als per hour. I did 30 mins on the Wii at home Saturday & HRM logged 250 cals probably because I wasn't pushing myself as much as I would in a class.
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member

When I work out really hard and sustained with my heart rate up above 90% sometimes up to 99%) I can burn 600 calories in an hour.

I have to say, if you're burning 1,000 calories an hour in even a high-intensity Zumba class, either your HRM is wrong, you're REALLY out of shape or you way at least 250 pounds.

um i work out everyday instead of sit on my *kitten* and i don't weigh 250 pounds thank you. I am just sharing information that I have heard and works for me. take it or leave it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member

um i work out everyday instead of sit on my *kitten* and i don't weigh 250 pounds thank you. I am just sharing information that I have heard and works for me. take it or leave it.

Have you worn a quality HRM with a chest strap and seen that you burned 1,000 calories in an hour? I'm not trying to insult anyone. I'm saying that isn't possible per the laws of physics. If you're not eating back your calories, you can count a million calories in an hour, but some people do and if they eat those 1,000 calories back that you're telling them they're burning, they're going to have a lot of trouble losing weight.
  • ukdiva
    ukdiva Posts: 3
    Thanks everyone! I did log it as 60 mins, high impact aerobics, which had a burn of around 600 calories! I think i will invest in a HRM though as i've also bought the Gillian Michaels 30 day shred dvd which i intend to start tonight, and i'd like to know roughly how much this burns too!
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    i burned 663 cals in my zumba class last saturday.!
This discussion has been closed.