Need Some Macro Help

I could use some figuring out correct macros for my personal situation.

Background: I'm 59, 5'-0" female, mostly inactive (desk job, not into exercising other than walking). Currently at 209, high was 242. So, still in the obese category. I have no particular goal in mind at this point - just trying to lose/eat better which I'm having good success at doing. Doctor is extremely happy with my progress as am I. Have been consistently losing between 0.5 to 1 lb a week (give or take) since mid 2018 but got serious about it in October 2018.

FYI I do weigh my food as much as I can. At home, all the time. At work, I have a small scale on my desk and use it where feasible.

I've calculated my TDEE at 1733 and deducting 500 calories a day come up with 1233 calories to eat if I want to lose a pound a week. I've been more or less using this as a range - some days eating a bit less, some a bit more and it's been working for me based on my weight loss history thus far. I feel satisfied on this calorie count, so no problem there at all.

However, my macros? That's another story. I'm confused what ratio I should be using. I can't find it for the calorie count of 1233 I would be eating daily - though I see it for the TDEE. I'm not very math minded, and can't wrap my head around making the conversion.

No matter how I play around with it I just can't seem to get those number to match what I wind up eating. I NEVER come near the protein it specifies for one thing. I mean, nowhere near it. I find I'm more satisfied when my diet has a more rounded ratio of fat/carbs/protein than having one of those macros set a lot higher than others.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    It will tell you in the nutrition tab on your diary if you have manually adjusted your calorie intake in goals. They will be based on the MFP default ratios though, you can change them in Goals (the percentages) and see the grams in the Nutrients tab of Nutrition.
  • sivyaleah
    sivyaleah Posts: 51 Member
    Thanks very much! I'll go look now :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    You may want to look at upping your protein as a post menapausal woman. It will help with muscle retention even if you are not doing any resistance work. (I would encourage you to do some)

Something around 0.6- 0.8g per lbs mid ‘normal’ BMI range would be good for protein.
    I’m an inch taller, had 1200cals, and set my macros to 40c 30p 30f. That split kept my protein and fat in a good range.

Don’t be too worried about hitting your macros exactly, just be aware of your range. Some days I get 80g others 100g of protein.

Cheers, h.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    It sounds like you're doing great: Kudos! :flowerforyou:

I believe in setting macros based on healthy goal weight (well, really based on lean body mass, but most of us don't know our lean body mass, so I adjust the factors and estimate).

I agree with middlehaitch, as always, about the 0.6-0.8g protein per pound of healthy goal weight, as a minimum. (Mid-normal-BMI-range is a fine approximation for healthy goal weight.) Protein is important while losing weight, and as we age, especially. It's worth working on.

I also believe in 0.35-0.45g fat per pound of healthy goal weight, as a minimum, with a reasonable fraction of that coming from sources like nuts, seeds, avocados, olive oil, and the like (i.e., monounsaturated (MUFA) and polyunsaturated (PUFA) sources).

I let carbs fall where they land, to balance calories. I also believe in eating plenty of varied, colorful veggies and fruits, for the micronutrients and extra fiber. 5 servings daily is a good basic minimum target. I love me some veggies, so usually eat 10+ servings in practice.

This is a good thread about setting macro goals: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

This is a great thread about where to get more protein on reduced calories: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

Find foods you enjoy on the linked spreadsheet from that thread; eat more of those, and less of something that's less effective in meeting your goals.

Gradually remodel your eating in a positive direction by reviewing your food diary, and adjusting a little at a time. You can get where you want to be!

P.S. I'm 5'5", mid-130s pounds, age 63. A bit over 3 years ago, at age 59, I was obese and had been that way for decades. You can do this.