2»

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    How male are you?

This made me :laugh:.

Depends on who you ask. Right, @TackleWasher?

You're more male than I @quiksylver296

I mean, you lift more than I can, carry a weapon and have trucknutz.....

I do NOT have trucknutz!

Those other things, though...

Someone protests a bit too much.....
    I know I’m going to regret asking this - but purely for the benefit of a dense Brit - what are trucknutz??

... around here you will sometimes see a pair of molded plastic (or even steel) testicles hanging off the rear end of a truck... "trucknutz". ;)

https://www.amazon.com/HOLIDAY-SPECIAL-Flesh-Combo-Nutz/dp/B002M40S7C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1550252772&sr=8-4&keywords=truck+nuts
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options

... around here you will sometimes see a pair of molded plastic (or even steel) testicles hanging off the rear end of a truck... "trucknutz". ;)

https://www.amazon.com/HOLIDAY-SPECIAL-Flesh-Combo-Nutz/dp/B002M40S7C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1550252772&sr=8-4&keywords=truck+nuts[/quote]

OMG that’s hilarious!! 🤣 I just would not have guessed that. Wow.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    jenkae1012 wrote: »
    If you want gains, getting in enough of the right nutrients at the right time is important, but as many has mentioned, a lot of it has to do with your weight lifting routine. If your a beginner at stregth/weight training, you first should focus on improving strength and endurance, then as a result of going heavier, muscle growth/toning slowly occurs.

Regarding the necessary nutrients - leucine, glutamine, creatine, protein (obviously) and what most people don't know is a high glycemic carbohydrate to add to your post workout protein shake - such as Maltodextrin, dextrose, waxy maize, etc.

A carb & protein shake with your BCAAs will aid in protein synthesis, recovery, and set the stage for muscle growth. The carbs help shuttle all the nutrients to where they need to go. If you don't include a hi-glycemic carb into your post workout shake, then unfortunately your body doesn't take in all the protein and amino acid nutrients and therefore all that hard work you just did in the gym isn't going to result in as much muscle growth as you'd expect.

[edited by MFP Mods]

Much of this is just not true. BCAAs supplements are useless based on all the most current research. There is adequate BCAAs in dietary protein. Protein is also insulinogenic and nutrient and timing combining is largely irrelevant for all but the smallest percentage, <1%, of elite athletes.

OP you've gotten much great advice in this thread. It's really simple. Get adequate protein in a balanced diet and do resistance training. If you want to supplement protein, go ahead. Pick one with a good amino acid profile and one you like the taste. It doesn't matter if it's specifically for women. Protein is Protein and not gender specific. Some are more expensive and marketed to women but that is just marketing woo. And, as others have said, protein in the absence of resistance training doesn't build muscles by itself.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    ... besides, the idea that you need to jack up insulin to induce muscle synthesis is a myth.

"As it turns out, this extra insulin boost from high-glycemic carbs is probably not necessary. While insulin is needed for protein synthesis, it seems that the low amounts stimulated by protein alone are sufficient for the creation of new muscle. In fact, the researchers found post-exercise insulin levels that were thirty times higher than resting insulin levels did not seem to affect protein synthesis."

References:

1. Vandré Figueiredo, et. al., “Is carbohydrate needed to further stimulate muscle protein synthesis/hypertrophy following resistance exercise,” Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 2013, 10:42.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Any protein will help repair muscle that has been broken down during exercise...if you don't lift enough times a week or use progressive overload you're wasting money taking it. It's not a magic powder.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    jenkae1012 wrote: »
    If you want gains, getting in enough of the right nutrients at the right time is important, but as many has mentioned, a lot of it has to do with your weight lifting routine. If your a beginner at stregth/weight training, you first should focus on improving strength and endurance, then as a result of going heavier, muscle growth/toning slowly occurs.

Regarding the necessary nutrients - leucine, glutamine, creatine, protein (obviously) and what most people don't know is a high glycemic carbohydrate to add to your post workout protein shake - such as Maltodextrin, dextrose, waxy maize, etc.

A carb & protein shake with your BCAAs will aid in protein synthesis, recovery, and set the stage for muscle growth. The carbs help shuttle all the nutrients to where they need to go. If you don't include a hi-glycemic carb into your post workout shake, then unfortunately your body doesn't take in all the protein and amino acid nutrients and therefore all that hard work you just did in the gym isn't going to result in as much muscle growth as you'd expect.

[edited by MFP Mods]

toning happens when you lose fat over exisiting muscle. weight lifting alone doesnt do that. and there is no need for a post workout protein shake or a need to add those ingredient either. you also dont need BCAAs. you can get what you need through food alone. so no