Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Exercising while doing chemotherapy

2»

Replies

• tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    edited January 2019
    Man, you were lucky (if there is such a thing on Chemo) as I couldn't stand to eat much of anything.

The chemo gave me a hyper sensitive sense of smell, combine that with the constant metallic taste in my mouth after Cisplatin, and I was on a steady diet of starlight mints and Coke or Mt Dew for about a week after my in patient chemo.

Then, all I could stand to eat was chili with about a 1/2 bottle of hot sauce so I could taste something other than metal in my mouth.

Lather, Rinse, Repeat on a three week cycle.

It's a great weight loss regimen, but I'd not even recommend it to my ex-wife.
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Thanks @AnnPT77 - meant to add that and lost it in multitasking.

Exercise was one of the best therapies for me and I found myself lost in the work instead of focusing on the pain and/or nausea. Just don't push it too hard.

There are several sources for hyperpalatable foods on various cancer sites, but in general think of any calorie bomb foods. My go to was KFC mashed potatoes and gravy - it's a combination of high sugar/salt and carbs:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/cancer/in-depth/cancer/art-20047536

I drank gallons of mint tea and had black licorice and hard rock candy mints on hand at all times.

"Jello-juice" - jello before it hardens is another good one. Syrupy thick and easy to keep down. Mix with a protein supplement to make it more worthwhile. I find this one great for all patients experiencing nausea.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    it won't help completely but if you can do it, ginger can help. ginger tea, gum, strips, NA beer, ale.

otherwise, zentrip helped a lot with nausea too
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »

When I was first diagnosed I conducted a bit of research and discovered a statistical anomaly concerning elite level athletes, scientists, business professionals, etc. Essentially that an unusual number of people at the top of their field faced incredible challenges and overcame these. I would imagine this diagnosis made them realize that life is short and time is not to be wasted.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Wow you guys are warriors.

I am not a survivor. I helped my dad through his treatments. I spent countless hours sitting at the hospital with him waiting for and getting his treatments and therefore hearing everything that was suggested.

Light exercise was suggested. Walking in particular. But listen to your body. My brother would take my dad to the gym for light treadmill workouts and it did wonders for his mental wellbeing just getting out in the world doing normal things.

As for nausea, I gave him lots of peppermint tea. I think we tried dandelion tea but he didn't like that at all. Luckily my dad didn't have a ton of nausea. Oh although he'd get a drip of anti nausea meds when getting his chemo so maybe that's why.

Good luck, keep fighting. It's an evil disease.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    I know all chemo protocols are different, and anyone who can do any physical activity through theirs, I commend you. I had to wear a bag for 96 hours of straight chemotherapy, so there was not an ounce of energy left in me by the time it was done. Walking from the bedroom to the bathroom left me breathless.

As for nausea, zofran is usually the drip they give you while you are being administered chemo, but there is also another med that is great for nausea that I took like candy which was thorazine. With the thorazine, I rarely if ever felt nauseous the entire 5 months of treatment.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    spartan546 wrote: »
    I want to thank you all for advices and tips. I am currently having chemotherapy and Immunotherapy...doing extremely well. My strength is back, training is back on track, still teaching full time, and the nauseas , well, let's just say I keep a garbage can close to my lifting platform. But it doesn't stop me; slows me down, that's all.
    Much love. See you next comp.

Thank you for taking the time to get back to us: I've been wondering how you were doing. I'm sorry you haven't completely conquered the nausea (or at least come closer than you have so far ;) ), but happy you're finding it possible to continue working out. Cheering you on from a distance, now & future!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    spartan546 wrote: »
    I want to thank you all for advices and tips. I am currently having chemotherapy and Immunotherapy...doing extremely well. My strength is back, training is back on track, still teaching full time, and the nauseas , well, let's just say I keep a garbage can close to my lifting platform. But it doesn't stop me; slows me down, that's all.
    Much love. See you next comp.

Thank you for taking the time to get back to us: I've been wondering how you were doing. I'm sorry you haven't completely conquered the nausea (or at least come closer than you have so far ;) ), but happy you're finding it possible to continue working out. Cheering you on from a distance, now & future!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    My father's "workout" when he was on chemo consisted of going to the tennis club and reading a book or the news paper. He didn't have the energy to do more than that. He never got back to playing tennis though. It was found too late.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    If nausea is one of the side effects of your treatments, I would ask the oncologist about medication that combats it. I know there was a pill that is available when I was treated but I never needed it through my treatments.

Fatigue is something I would monitor by logging.

For training, I would utilize the AU(arbitrary number) where you take the minutes and multiply by the perceived exertion you rate. If the AU doesn't drastically change, then you are training the right amount. It should slowly grow over time to show adaptation though.

I would also log or your fatigue and stress dailly so you can adjust volume and eccentially weight on the bar if needed.

Utilizing RPE in your training will help training for the term as you receive treatment.

I utilized many of these tactics and was able to play baseball as a catcher throughout my treatments and in between surgeries.

Wish you the best.

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    I have zero advice to offer, but warm thoughts/wishes for strength sent your way.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited February 2019
    She posted recently that she's all clear now.

She's my shero.