Eating or Drink Before My Morning Workout - That is the Ques

Options
Hi I've been told that I should eat something before I work out in the morning to get my body started but here is my problem I get up at 4:45 to workout (the treamill is in the garage) and I've been trying to eat yogurt or a piece of cheese even a handful of trailmix - is this enough? Can I drink a cup of grapefruit juice (unsweetned) before my workout for the fuel to get me started?

Replies

• sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    How do you feel when you workout? I work out at 5:15 on MWF and 5:30 on TTH, and I don't have time or the desire to eat before I go. I do drink lots of water and eat breakfast pretty soon after I get back. If eating something small feels ok, I think you are fine. You don't need to eat a big breakfast, but they do say eating something kick starts your metabolism. I am just afraid I wouldn't keep anything down. :embarassed:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    In June, I got one of my fitness and health magazines in the mail, sat down to read it and it said the latest study revealed that the body burns more fat if you exercise before eating, so you shouldn't eat first.

The following month, in the same magazine, I read a study that said the body burns more fat if you DO eat before exercising, so you should eat first.

I decided to ignore them both and do what felt right to me.

If I exercise in the morning, I usually don't eat first because I'm just not hungry when I wake up. If I exercise in the afternoon or evening, obviously I've eaten during the day.
  • Runninginafatsuit
    Runninginafatsuit Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    When I used to get up at 4 to workout before work I'd have a quick cup of coffee and that's it. Just do what feels best for you.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I am back to getting up at 4:15am to get my workout in and I do not eat anything before I workout. I did the same thing previously when I got up that early. I get up so early that I give myself enough time to brush my teeth and get started. I would have to wake up even earlier if I wanted to try and eat something. I do eat as soon as I can after my workout though.
  • kellybstampin
    Options
    Gatorade makes these "preworkout bites" now that are perfect! It's quick, and seems to really give me enough energy to workout. Four come in a package and I only eat one b/c I do a 20-30 min circuit training.
  • ineednapkin
    Options
    I believe it is all about how you feel... you don't want to eat so much where you are feeling nauseous. I actually generally don't eat anything in the mornings before I run except for my long runs on Saturday, where I have oatmeal a half hour before I run. I do use Clif Shot Bloks before and during my runs sometimes and those work well for me too... they taste like fruit snacks :)
  • epoint
    epoint Posts: 88
    Options
    I don't run, but I walk early most mornings for an hour or more. I have my coffee (always!) and a granola bar before I head out, and then fix something with protein for my real breakfast when I get back in and cooled off. Usually I have either an egg sandwich (on an Arnold's sandwich thin), or peanut butter toast, along with some fresh fruit. Or a chicken sandwich -- I'm not picky. :-)
  • candykay89
    candykay89 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I do not eat in the mornings before i workout, as it would be impossible. I am also afraid i may not give my body enough time to digest my food therefore, bringing it back up. I eat soon thereafter and if i exercise in the evenings it means i have eaten throughout the day. It depends on how you feel before and after your workouts.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Yes that is enough. Try 10-15 almonds as well.

I MUST have my ½ cup of All Bran & milk before I work out in the am on Saturdays to avoid feeling nauseous or tired/blah. I looooove breakfast plus with no snacking after 7:30pm or so, my body is super hungry and I want to give Saturday Spin Class 110%. Every other day I work out in the evening, 8:00 pm or so after dinner.