Size of bowl/ portion

Options
I used one of these bowels this morning to eat oatmeal. Does the bowel look like 5-6 oz or 10-12 I’m trying to figure out my calories.

Replies

• selenenatalie
    selenenatalie Posts: 29 Member
    Options
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Assuming that is a standard size small styrofoam bowl - it's a 5 oz bowl when filled to the rim of the bowl part (not the decorative flair, but the regular sided bowl)
  • selenenatalie
    selenenatalie Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yes it was at a hotel
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I'd use the entry for "Generic - Oatmeal Prepared With Water 1 Cup Cooked, 145 calories" and call it good.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    It looks like you were at a hotel breakfast bar. When I'm at one and I have to estimate, I generally log 1-1.5 cups for a bowl of that size depending on how much I filled it.

Pleas tell me that the hotel isn't using plastic at their breakfast bar - unless it's for personnel? What happened to proper crockery? And the colour - totally off-putting.

Most limited service hotels (Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn, etc.) with a complimentary breakfast bar don't have a full kitchen and staff capable of handling real plates and flatware. Disposable is standard.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It looks like you were at a hotel breakfast bar. When I'm at one and I have to estimate, I generally log 1-1.5 cups for a bowl of that size depending on how much I filled it.

Pleas tell me that the hotel isn't using plastic at their breakfast bar - unless it's for personnel? What happened to proper crockery? And the colour - totally off-putting.

This looks like it would be a Holiday Inn Express or something similar where they have a free continental breakfast. The only time I've seen crockery is at higher end hotels with a sit in breakfast buffet or breakfast menu.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

It's pretty common for the breakfast bars at more affordable hotels to use disposable stuff. It means they don't have to pay someone to deal with all the dishes.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options

There's been a devolution in breakfast offerings at hotels. Like everyplace that has had to respond to consumers who demand lower costs, something has to give.
    I count myself lucky if there is any protein available for breakfast.
  • phill_143
    phill_143 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Pleas tell me that the hotel isn't using plastic at their breakfast bar - unless it's for personnel? What happened to proper crockery? And the colour - totally

That seems disgustingly wasteful :(
    Or do people tend to bring their own bowls to use instead, and these are just if you forget - like for takeaway coffee..?

Even €6 a night hostels I've stayed in - and homeless shelters I've seen - used to use real bowls and plates!
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,323 Member
    Options
    Average ladel is about 8oz..
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    phill_143 wrote: »
    Pleas tell me that the hotel isn't using plastic at their breakfast bar - unless it's for personnel? What happened to proper crockery? And the colour - totally

That seems disgustingly wasteful :(
    Or do people tend to bring their own bowls to use instead, and these are just if you forget - like for takeaway coffee..?

Even €6 a night hostels I've stayed in - and homeless shelters I've seen - used to use real bowls and plates!

Homeless shelters often have volunteers who wash the dishes and can save costs by not buying wasteful disposable stuff.

IME, business traveler type hotels (Hilton or Marriott or whatnot) tend to have a dining area and waitstaff and the continental breakfast has real bowls and plates (and will always have eggs, sausage and bacon, fruit, yogurt, as well as oats, pastries, and a variety of other things). Complementary breakfast at the cheaper places often is very limited and you are probably sitting in a small cafeteria like area with a TV blaring the morning headline news. But it's free and eliminates the need to go find breakfast somewhere.
  • katzenfluff
    katzenfluff Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I take a lightly filled ladle of oatmeal and call it a serving. Careful with the toppings as they add up quickly.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    6 ounces is literally a custard cup. I've never seen a bowl that small at a buffet or cafe. They're all larger.