Muscle Cramps

Options
Oh my gosh, this morning i was swimming in the pool (its summer here in Australia) when I suddenly got a terrible cramp in my leg and had to get out! In the past when i have had muscle cramps, as soon as I drink a bottle of water the cramp passes. So I suppose its caused by dehydration?
Do you get muscle cramps? Don't forget to make sure you're hydrated before, during after exercise and it might help them to be alleviated.

Replies

• JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Yes, they can be caused by dehydration. I usually drink about 500ml of water while working out. Have never had a cramp during.
    I get them once in a while, usually if I'm in the same position too long.
  • karlpm
    karlpm Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Be careful just adding water as the cramps are usually related to low levels of required salts (not necessarily table salt so don't go smash the doritos!) so adding more water further reduces the apparent levels of salts.

I get these when I over train and find that a banana can help. If it's chronic you can get powders for easing muscle cramps and spasms which can help quickly.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    karlpm wrote: »
    Be careful just adding water as the cramps are usually related to low levels of required salts (not necessarily table salt so don't go smash the doritos!) so adding more water further reduces the apparent levels of salts.

I get these when I over train and find that a banana can help. If it's chronic you can get powders for easing muscle cramps and spasms which can help quickly.

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately I have a food intolerance to fresh bananas- i get horrible stomachaches for hours afterwards.
  • jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, this morning i was swimming in the pool (its summer here in Australia) when I suddenly got a terrible cramp in my leg and had to get out! In the past when i have had muscle cramps, as soon as I drink a bottle of water the cramp passes. So I suppose its caused by dehydration?
    Do you get muscle cramps? Don't forget to make sure you're hydrated before, during after exercise and it might help them to be alleviated.

This happen to me at the pools I called out to the lifeguard and ask her for mouth to mouth but she said i didn't need mouth to mouth for muscle cramps. Try stretching before and adding more salt Pink salt.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options

This happen to me at the pools I called out to the lifeguard and ask her for mouth to mouth but she said i didn't need mouth to mouth for muscle cramps. Try stretching before and adding more salt Pink salt.

Lmao. Ooh I love pink salt but haven't used it in a while. Thanks for the tips
  • winati
    winati Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It can be low potassium and magnesium, you might need a blood test if it contiues. You need to have this done at your doctors office because taking to much can harm your heart.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I used to get cramps when I started swimming, mostly in my feet. I tried eating salty pretzels before practice. I would hydrate and eat a piece of fruit afterwards. I also take a magnesium supplement at night.
  • KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of calf and foot cramps swimming and sleeping. There is nothing worse than merrily swimming along and with no warning as you push off the wall getting a calf or foot cramp. Sometimes they start mid-length as well, but, for me, more often at the wall. Last September, I went for a morning long ride on my road bike and then did an evening swim session. 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through I my quad/inner thigh cramped up. There was nothing to do but get out of the pool and walk on it and then stretch it. I did get back in the pool but had to finish the session pulling only.

For me, overtraining seems to be the main culprit. I haven't found the magnesium, potassium or electrolytes enough on their own. It seems to be stretching that helps the most.

Right now I'm getting a lot nighttime foot & calf cramps because of the winter boots I have do not have enough ankle support and the little muscles are getting overworked.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    KettleTO wrote: »
    I get a lot of calf and foot cramps swimming and sleeping. There is nothing worse than merrily swimming along and with no warning as you push off the wall getting a calf or foot cramp. Sometimes they start mid-length as well, but, for me, more often at the wall. Last September, I went for a morning long ride on my road bike and then did an evening swim session. 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through I my quad/inner thigh cramped up. There was nothing to do but get out of the pool and walk on it and then stretch it. I did get back in the pool but had to finish the session pulling only.

For me, overtraining seems to be the main culprit. I haven't found the magnesium, potassium or electrolytes enough on their own. It seems to be stretching that helps the most.

Right now I'm getting a lot nighttime foot & calf cramps because of the winter boots I have do not have enough ankle support and the little muscles are getting overworked.

Swim cramps can be caused by fins, inflexible ankles, and other kick issues.