If i eat sweets and keep my calorie count under 1200 will i lose weight?

Options
My daily goal for the calorie is 1200 calories a day. I eat sweets like lindt lindor (1 chocolate is 75 calories) and keep the count 1200 or under it (by just 200 calories not more). Will it ruin my diet?

Replies

• NonishaS
    NonishaS Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    NonishaS wrote: »
    My daily goal for the calorie is 1200 calories a day. I eat sweets like lindt lindor (1 chocolate is 75 calories) and keep the count 1200 or under it (by just 200 calories not more). Will it ruin my diet?

You will still lose weight and it won't "ruin" your diet (what ever that means to you).

But: you should aim to get as close to 1200 kcal as possible with as nutrient dense foods as possible. It's very hard to get the required nutrition at that level of calorie intake, let alone below it.

I'm curious, how old, tall and heavy are you? How active are you? It might be that 1000-1200 kcal is far too low to you and might cause you problems down the line (the effects of long term undereating are not very pleasant and hard to undo once they become apparent - which they usually only do after several months at the earliest)

I am 23 currently and weigh about 137 pounds. My height is 5 foot 3 inches and I am hardly active as i have a full time desk job. I used to work out before but now as my schedule is pretty tight i can not work out at all and hence i want to go for a diet.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options

You will still lose weight and it won't "ruin" your diet (what ever that means to you).

But: you should aim to get as close to 1200 kcal as possible with as nutrient dense foods as possible. It's very hard to get the required nutrition at that level of calorie intake, let alone below it.

I'm curious, how old, tall and heavy are you? How active are you? It might be that 1000-1200 kcal is far too low to you and might cause you problems down the line (the effects of long term undereating are not very pleasant and hard to undo once they become apparent - which they usually only do after several months at the earliest)

I am 23 currently and weigh about 137 pounds. My height is 5 foot 3 inches and I am hardly active as i have a full time desk job. I used to work out before but now as my schedule is pretty tight i can not work out at all and hence i want to go for a diet.

You are already in the healthy range for your height and weight. Meaning you shouldn't aim to lose more than 0.5lbs per week.

What did MFP give you when you set up your profile? And what rate of loss did you chose?
  • NonishaS
    NonishaS Posts: 4 Member
    Options

You are already in the healthy range for your height and weight. Meaning you shouldn't aim to lose more than 0.5lbs per week.

What did MFP give you when you set up your profile? And what rate of loss did you chose?

It gave me 1200 kcal a day when i chose 0.8 kg a week. I have been entering the calories since a week now and i feel my belly a little reduced but the weight is just the same. I just want to lose fat on my body.

Sorry for the slow answer :smile:

You're already at a healthy weight. So any weightloss will be exrcutiatingly slow. I would honestly suggest you drop your rate to either 0.5kg/week or 0.25kg/week and be patient. It will take more than one week to lose the weight.

Another reason not to try to lose too fast: the faster you lose, the more muscle mass you lose and muscle is what helps give us a nice looking shape. So slower weight loss + patience is what you'll need.

Might I also suggest starting a weight training program? It will help you maintain your muscle and get a nicer result at the end. You can find some nice beginners programs here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1 and people will always be around to answer questions in that thread too.

I would also suggest reading this thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1

Our body weight fluctuates from day to day, most of those fluctuations aren't changes in fat but changes in water. Especially if you are female, monthly hormone cycles can make drastic changes to your weight, all it is is water.

Not a problem on the slow reply 😊

Thank you for the links. They are a great help. Also, like i said earlier i am not able to hit the gym or even workout at home due to the schedule i have. So weight training would not be an option right now. But suggestion taken well enough on increasing the rate to 0.5 kg per week. Also, i will try to workout on weekends if possible.

Thanks again!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

It gave me 1200 kcal a day when i chose 0.8 kg a week. I have been entering the calories since a week now and i feel my belly a little reduced but the weight is just the same. I just want to lose fat on my body.

You're already at a healthy weight. So any weightloss will be exrcutiatingly slow. I would honestly suggest you drop your rate to either 0.5kg/week or 0.25kg/week and be patient. It will take more than one week to lose the weight.

Another reason not to try to lose too fast: the faster you lose, the more muscle mass you lose and muscle is what helps give us a nice looking shape. So slower weight loss + patience is what you'll need.

Might I also suggest starting a weight training program? It will help you maintain your muscle and get a nicer result at the end. You can find some nice beginners programs here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1 and people will always be around to answer questions in that thread too.

I would also suggest reading this thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1

Our body weight fluctuates from day to day, most of those fluctuations aren't changes in fat but changes in water. Especially if you are female, monthly hormone cycles can make drastic changes to your weight, all it is is water.

Thank you for the links. They are a great help. Also, like i said earlier i am not able to hit the gym or even workout at home due to the schedule i have. So weight training would not be an option right now. But suggestion taken well enough on increasing the rate to 0.5 kg per week. Also, i will try to workout on weekends if possible.

Thanks again!

My mental health, physical health, productivity, and sleep suffer if I do not exercise, so I make the time.
  • MurrayElliot
    MurrayElliot Posts: 17 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    It's not all about calories though. There's no mid to long term benefit in eating 1200 calories but being malnourished. Your intake of macro and micro nutrients is just as important to ensure you get a properly balanced diet and to ensure your body is able to function well, fight off infection, etc. all things in moderation!
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options

Sounds like you need to recomp or just use a really small deficit of 0.5 lbs a week. I’m sure you can find time to exercise, just three full body strength training sessions at home will suffice. Buy some dumbells of Amazon. I strength train at home and have never set foot in the gym. I’d consider myself fit. Also you don’t have to eat 1200 calories a day. Enter your stats into scoobies calculator to find out your TDEE.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Thanks again!

My mental health, physical health, productivity, and sleep suffer if I do not exercise, so I make the time.

Exactly! I’d go mad if I didn’t exercise.