Has anyone ever injured their Psoas muscles?

Options
I have been out of the gym since the beginning of 2019 from an injury (repeated insult to a previous injury) to my psoas muscles.
I am doing physical therapy, but still in a lot of pain with just walking.
I really want to get back to the gym and start shedding pounds again!
Especially since I have gained back all of the weight that it took me 3 years to get off!
Any recommendations or support would be very much so appreciated!
Thank you!🙂

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    When I had chronic pain in my knee and then in my hip I got PT because that is what my insurance will cover. However, I find massage more helpful, and so pay for it out of pocket. I still do the exercises my PT gave me for both conditions regularly - I incorporated them into my yoga warmups. I believe there was a specific yoga position causing the hip pain, and I don't do it anymore.

If you don't already do foam rolling ask your PT if they think that will help. I love it!

Tell you PT you are suffering without your exercise calories and ask for help devising a program you can do in your current condition.

What about doing upper body strength training at the gym?

Do you have access to a pool? When a regular flutter kick was giving me pain I used ocean flippers (these are longer than the flippers I've seen at pools.)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Angied725 wrote: »
    Especially since I have gained back all of the weight that it took me 3 years to get off!

Since you gained the weight from eating too many calories, you can lose it simply by eating less.

How did you hurt your psoas?
  • Angied725
    Angied725 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have been eating far fewer calories and reducing my carb intake.
    I have a hormonal imbalance which seems to me it nearly impossible f oj r me to lose weight without exercise. 😣

I hurt it initially in 2006 at work.

This was just a repeat/flareup injury to it.

It wasn't properly diagnosed and treated all those years ago, so I don't think it ever healed right and I've battled the debilitating pain on and off ever since, but this last year has been too unbearable to push through. It hurts just to walk.

Cherimoose wrote: »
    Angied725 wrote: »

Since you gained the weight from eating too many calories, you can lose it simply by eating less.

How did you hurt your psoas?

• mmebouchon
    mmebouchon Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Yes it’s been two years since the initial injury for me and it has been a very bumpy road back. Try maintaining not necessary loosing while you heal. Frustrating for sure but loosing weight without the exercise resulted in muscle loss and even more weakness which in the long run has slowed healing and made weight loss more difficult for me.
  • mmebouchon
    mmebouchon Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    When I had chronic pain in my knee and then in my hip I got PT because that is what my insurance will cover. However, I find massage more helpful, and so pay for it out of pocket. I still do the exercises my PT gave me for both conditions regularly - I incorporated them into my yoga warmups. I believe there was a specific yoga position causing the hip pain, and I don't do it anymore.

If you don't already do foam rolling ask your PT if they think that will help. I love it!

Tell you PT you are suffering without your exercise calories and ask for help devising a program you can do in your current condition.

What about doing upper body strength training at the gym?

Do you have access to a pool? When a regular flutter kick was giving me pain I used ocean flippers (these are longer than the flippers I've seen at pools.)

Really good advice
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    psoas is not an easy muscle to massage and roll. But as a distance runner I have had flares of psoas pain on and off and the only thing that helps me is stretching. Now that it is healed i stretch it faithfully to avoid reinjury. Tight psoas is no joke.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    You should be able to do most strength machines at the gym, except the leg press, hip adductor/abductor, and ab machines. Leg extension & seated leg curls should be fine, and probably back extensions too - just keep your abs braced.

As crazy as it sounds, try walking backward on the treadmill. The psoas doesn't work much going backwards. You could also try going backward on the elliptical, using no elevation. :+1:

• schmanciepants
    schmanciepants Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I just had mine released after a year of tendintits (along with a labrum repair)....my advice is to get a good PT who will help you with the right stretches and can help you with ideas on exercises.
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Try exercise #1 on this page: https://www.wikihow.fitness/Stretch-the-Psoas-Muscle
    And/or find a good chiropractor and/or acupuncturist. Worked for me.