I don't know how to start :(

Options
I've been trying to loose weight for more than a year , after i had my second baby, each day i decide that it will be my starting day and it all ends with failure :( ,, i don't know how to start loosing weight and control my apetit ? Really depressed :(

Replies

• amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you just start weighing and logging your food. For me it really helped to see how much more calories I ate than I thought I would. (I'm still in shock about the calories in nuts :D:( ) I always thought 'I'm not eating that much so why am I not loosing any weight? I Probably just can't lose it...' well, I was so wrong. I just ate the wrong amount of the wrong foods. Once you realise how easy it is to lose weight just by changing how much or what you eat, you realise that you don't need a date to 'start' your journey but that you just can make small changes from day to day.

THIS!
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say you fail every day. You learn something new about your eating habits every day, which gives you more opportunities in the future to establish more effective habits.

Some days I fall into a bag of jalepeno cheddar cheetos...the key is to make sure, for me, that it is a small bag (one serving) and not a vending bag (3.5 servings) or a family size bag (10+ servings). Find easy, healthy snacks you like and will eat and keep them around. I don't much like rice cakes, so keeping them around for snacks just because they're low cal doesn't work...I don't eat them. But I like celery, so that's something I (should) keep sticks of around.
  • JCoop9
    JCoop9 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You haven't failed, you've practiced your comeback! I would stop thinking of it as days and think about just the next meal. So if you start the morning on track, then slip up in the afternoon, just jump back onto the meal plan/tracking/whatever you hope for for dinner. I also think your diet can affect your mood, so it may help with the depression too!
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Hope2890 wrote: »
    I've been trying to loose weight for more than a year , after i had my second baby, each day i decide that it will be my starting day and it all ends with failure :( ,, i don't know how to start loosing weight and control my apetit ? Really depressed :(

- choose a reasonable deficit that's manageable for you
    - get a food scale if you don't already have one
    - track accurately. Some drive right into sticking to their MFP number, but some start just by weighing what they're already eating for a couple weeks or a month just to see what those calories look like. Both methods have their merits
    - get adequate protein
    - identify which macro helps keep you satisfied longer. For some it's protein, for others it's fat, for others it's carbs. Doing this will help with the appetite
    - realize that foods are just foods, there are no 'good' or 'bad' foods unless of course you have a medical condition or serious allergies
    - eat in a way that is both a variety and a way that you can sustain long-term. Don't do something like keto or vegan if that's not something you can do literally the rest of your life
    - learn to make things like treats fit into your day. Some save a number of calories for an end-of-day treat, some people bank calories, some just accept that they'll end up eating at maintenance for the day
    - one mistake doesn't ruin the whole effort, don't think you've failed or just throw in the towel because of an off day. Log it, learn from it, move on. We've all been there
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    As others have said, just start logging whatever you already eat. Even if you still eat what you consider "junk food." You'll start to see very quickly what you can cut back on.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    A lot of people find planning ahead to be really helpful. Deciding at the beginning of the day, or even the night before, what you're going to eat, can really help you to make informed decisions, or even to make changes in an informed way.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options

- track accurately. Some drive right into sticking to their MFP number, but some start just by weighing what they're already eating for a couple weeks or a month just to see what those calories look like. Both methods have their merits
    - get adequate protein
    - identify which macro helps keep you satisfied longer. For some it's protein, for others it's fat, for others it's carbs. Doing this will help with the appetite
    - realize that foods are just foods, there are no 'good' or 'bad' foods unless of course you have a medical condition or serious allergies
    - eat in a way that is both a variety and a way that you can sustain long-term. Don't do something like keto or vegan if that's not something you can do literally the rest of your life
    - learn to make things like treats fit into your day. Some save a number of calories for an end-of-day treat, some people bank calories, some just accept that they'll end up eating at maintenance for the day
    - one mistake doesn't ruin the whole effort, don't think you've failed or just throw in the towel because of an off day. Log it, learn from it, move on. We've all been there

exactly this!!!!
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    From my own experience your last word says it all: "depressed". Make sure that you are mentally fit and healthy, you have gone through a lot, body and mind have to adjust. Do you get enough sleep? Don't set yourself huge, immediate goals overnight - start gently, use MFP with the calculations, prepare a simple meal plan for the next day, take it day by day, meal by meal. It's the small steps which take you to the finishing line.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options

- get adequate protein

This here + please read the link ladyreva78 posted.

For me, the hardest part (every time lol) was getting started. What helped to get me off the ground was "Practicing" logging my food, everything. Start logging everything regardless of what or how much you're eating, and do that for a week. Something about doing that (I went two weeks roughly) helped me to see exactly what and how much I was really eating and made it easier for me control portion size after that.

Once that happened - I found out I wasn't as hungry all the time as I thought I was lol. Peace, and don't give up. :)
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    first: you are doing a great job!

you, while slinging around a new baby, having changes in your body, sleep, and possibly feeding another person have had trouble doing what everyone else has trouble doing without those challenges? shocking! you are doing a great job just taking care of business with this new bundle of work (i mean joy).

losing weight is the easiest thing in the world to understand: you have to balance calories of what you eat with what you use. it will just take you a while to figure out how to successfully do that with your needs, lifestyle, tastes, etc. don't worry! losing weight can happen under many circumstances, not all ideal.

all you need to do to start is:
    1. weigh yourself regularly (weekly? every 2 weeks? every month?)
    2. learn to log the calories in what you eat. this will begin to teach you portion control and now many calories are on what you eat.

plug in your weight, activity level and stats in mfp and it will give you the number of calories you can eat daily. just start the process of logging until you are able to successfully log full days.

then tinker with your diet. as long as you are not breastfeeding, you can do what you want and just reduce calories however you can. do not try to immediately switch everything to kale smoothies. just make small changes until you feel better. people lose weight eating crap all the time and so can you. you can fuss with your diet when you have time. don't worry so much about it. it is really a lot easier than you think if you don't take too much on all at once. make things easy on yourself and get support from people who are not nuts.

chin up! you are doing great!
  • cowseathay1999
    cowseathay1999 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Well, drink water. I drink 75 oz a day. Water keeps you full and cuts your appetite. Food scale is good too. Try exercising for 30-1 hr.5 days a week. The trick with eating is you just find things that are low calorie that you enjoy eating ") Loosing weight is hard. Get focused. Watching inspirational videos help. Goals , write everything down !") Put it up on the wall where you can see it ") All these things are just good habits we're trying to imprint onto ourselves ") Be and Stay positive. Positive thinking yields good results ") And remember, You Can Do This !!