Got invited to a wedding reception...

It'll be the first wedding/reception I've attended within my peer group, and only the second I've been to in my entire life.

It's in late March, and it's among former coworkers so there will be a bunch of former bosses/coworkers there, as well (possibly, as we're mutual friends) an ex-boyfriend.

So, naturally, I'm freaking out a bit. Not about the ex, mind you, that chapter is firmly closed. I'm actually at a decent weight/shape and don't feel I need to impress anyone, but there's always that self-consciousness at a formal event. There's that desire to wake up 10lbs lighter so you don't bulge in your dress (much less have to drive 4 hours in Spanx).

And then...the bride informed me that since she and the groom and all our coworkers are historical reenactors, the "theme" is 18th/19th century dress. And because that's my social/professional group, I have everything I need that I know I already look 1890s smokin' in.

7psi9vqd71l5.png

For the event I'll put some lipstick on, and I have a bitchin' new hat. But otherwise...

So don't stress about those 10lbs you need to lose for an event. It might turn out you'll be wearing a corset after all.

~ZZ

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Love the outlook, and you look great :)
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    That's a beautiful outfit! You're stylin'.
  • firlena227
    firlena227 Posts: 86 Member
    So much love for this 😊
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Do you wear an S-curve corset for this outfit? How does it compare to a more Victorian waist cincher?
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    I was totally expecting a different kind of post, I love your attitude and you're so right! Plus you look amazing, hope the wedding is a lot of fun.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    that's so FUN!!!!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    What about gloves....parasol and hanging locket necklace.
    I want to see the hat!
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Oh that looks great! Did you make it yourself?
  • vegaslounge
    vegaslounge Posts: 122 Member
    edited February 2019
    jesspen91 wrote: »
    You look great. If I may say so you, definitely have the bust for the late victorian/edwardian look.

They're not actually that big, but corsets do wonders for more than just your waist ;)
    Do you wear an S-curve corset for this outfit? How does it compare to a more Victorian waist cincher?

The one I wear now is an early Edwardian steel-boned underbust straight-busk. I wore an 1870s/80 Victorian steel-boned overbust every day as a teen and only stopped when it finally wore out in college. The eras certainly make a difference as the "shape" was different from one decade to the next. I like my 1900s underbust because it's not as defining to a particular era aside from the general waist/hip boning, so it's a bit more versatile. (https://www.laceembrace.com/catalog/edwardian-corset-gold-satin/)

For those that are wondering– corsets aren't uncomfortable if you get them sized correctly and wear them properly. Hell, the "inventor" of the bra only did it because she wanted to look better in her dress.
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Re your comment "(much less have to drive 4 hours in Spanx)" - heck, I won't even drive an hour in formal clothes - I find someplace nearby to change.

And thus the social life of a historical reenactor (48 hours in woolens or stays? Sure!)...we are a weird group and we know it.

Thank you all, it's been lovely to read your responses.

~ZZ
  • vegaslounge
    edited February 2019
    And I do have a white silk/bamboo parasol! I will absolutely use it.
  • lbride
    lbride Posts: 248 Member
    Wow - 285 for that corset. It must be one heck of a corset!!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    <3
  • CennGoose
    CennGoose Posts: 2 Member
    You look fabulous! But since it’s a wedding reception, maybe a quick double check with the bride that she’s fine your outfit is white based? Sometimes people can get upset about guests wearing white to a wedding, though if it was up to me, I think your outfit is lovely and perfectly appropriate. The parasol and hat will be a nice touch too :)
  • vegaslounge
    CennGoose wrote: »
    You look fabulous! But since it’s a wedding reception, maybe a quick double check with the bride that she’s fine your outfit is white based? Sometimes people can get upset about guests wearing white to a wedding, though if it was up to me, I think your outfit is lovely and perfectly appropriate. The parasol and hat will be a nice touch too :)

Believe me, I thought about this too! I'm probably going to swap the white blouse for a light blue one in the same style (www.jpeterman.com/item/msh-1003/100100100/otavalo-mountain-shirt). It's actually a man's shirt but few people can tell the difference about what side the buttons are on, lol.

Also, wearing white to a wedding was only really popularized in the 20th century (yes, Queen Victoria technically started the trend, but that was the start)...since we're all reenactors there's a bit more leeway, lol. Hell, I'll probably be one of the only Late Victorians in a sea of Colonists!
    lbride wrote: »
    Wow - 285 for that corset. It must be one heck of a corset!!

It is expensive (and that's just for an off-the-shelf model), and it is worth it! I've bought from that company several times and they are great. Corsetry is like hand-done millinery– it still exists, but is niche as Hell. I wore an overbust corset literally every day unless I was sleeping or showering from Junior year of HS to Sophomore in college and it cost ~$400, but it lasted with that much wear over that many years. Considering how little I wear my current one, that $285 will likely last me 20 years.

And, for the record, the only activity I couldn't do in a corset without feeling uncomfortable was, ironically, sacking out on the couch.

~ZZ
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    You are rocking that outfit girlfriend.
  • vegaslounge
    edited February 2019
    I forgot about this until just now...

My prime corseting years were during/post 9/11. My family was traveling and I beeped the Hell out of a metal detector (hey, I was 16 and stupid). I was taken into a private room by a couple of female TSA agents who wanded me, patted me down, and discovering my “secret” peppered me with questions like, “Does that work? Is it comfortable? That’s so pretty, where did you get it?”

I was released to my parents shortly after. Unabashed nerdiness goes a long way.

~ZZ
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,717 Member
    You look wonderful, and that wedding will be so much fun!
  • Opalescent_Topaz
    Opalescent_Topaz Posts: 130 Member
    Wow! You look lovely! Those wedding pictures are going to be awesome.