Sugar Cravings

Options
Any advice on kicking sweets like cookies and chocolate? Chocolate is all I can think about. UGH!!!

Replies

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a lot of chocolate. I decided to cut down and really, I don't miss it at all. If I don't have it, I don't miss it. It was just a bad habit I got into.
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have one dark chocolate truffle at night, and ONLY one. I think of sugar as a sealant to my fat (yes I know very well that's not accurate). Thinking of it like that helps me eat less of it
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I leave 200 calories a night for a cookie or ice cream. Also, my protein shake is tasty and sweet which also satisfies me.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I usually have a cup of Greek yogurt with honey and/or an apple. Both of those really satiate my sweet tooth. I also find a fruit flavored chamomile tea seems to help.
  • jazysmom14
    jazysmom14 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @MichelleSilverleaf it's a trigger food. Especially when I'm stressed out or the time of the month
  • KatyCSTinPNW
    KatyCSTinPNW Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    lin_be wrote: »
    I leave 200 calories a night for a cookie or ice cream. Also, my protein shake is tasty and sweet which also satisfies me.

🙋🏻‍♀️ Totally me!! I have tried to eliminate sweets but that just makes me binge on it when I can’t take it anymore.

I love ice cream so instead I have skinny cow sandwiches or something similar. Or just one hostess cupcake. (Prior to MFP I had huge bowls of ice cream!)

I’ve lost >30lbs since May ‘18. I did allow maintenance during the holidays so didn’t lose anything for about 2 months. But whatever, this is a life change for me. Not a race.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I crave sweets less when I eat plenty of fruit. Berries in particular are quite sweet-tasting for the number of calories they have. I also save room for a piece of dark chocolate at night and a spoonful of cacao powder with my oatmeal in the morning.

Different people are different but I found that when I cut back on added sugars it took about two weeks for the cravings to subside.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    jazysmom14 wrote: »
    @MichelleSilverleaf it's a trigger food. Especially when I'm stressed out or the time of the month

I use to be an emotional eater but now manage stress with regular exercise.

I used to put away a few pints of Ben & Jerry's premenstrually, but then realized I was actually just naturally hungrier, so eating lunch earlier and having a bigger afternoon snack took care of that.

I do eat chocolate, small amounts of DARK chocolate, SLOWLY. Chocolate chips are good for this for me.

However, if it was a trigger food, a food that called me until I ate far more than I intended, in general I wouldn't have it in the house.

I can moderate chocolate chips but not chocolates from a chocolatier. This year Valentine's Day coincided with my TOM. I overindulged, and I'm ok with that :)
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I’m a moderation type of person. I really love all foods, so for me, I fit it in to my daily calories. I know it works better for me to have at least a small serving than to totally restrict. You have to do what works for you.
  • paulbrttn
    paulbrttn Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Pickles/gherkins and pickled onions work best for me. I don't have a particularly sweet tooth, don't crave it often, but when I do I'm liable to burn through any chocolate in the house in rapid succession. But a small bowl of pickles seems to curb it straight away and is itself very low in cals.
  • SoaringOccamy
    SoaringOccamy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I honestly couldn't make the cravings stop by any means except just cutting sugar out of my life. I eat sugar-free alternatives so that I get my sweet fixes without the sugar cravings. Also eat a lot of fruit and nuts for snacks these days. Almost every time I have lost my grip on my weight loss routine it is because I had a big binge of sweets over a holiday or something and couldn't shake the cravings. But I am definitely on the extreme end of the sugar addiction scale. I am so bad that I have been treating myself like an honest-to-god addict in recovery.
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I rely on a warm drink to curb sugar cravings. E.g. I make a decaf earl grey or Ceylon tea with a dash of cream and Equal for sweetness. That’s like 20-30 kcal. By the time I finish sipping on it the craving is mostly gone. Or, I make myself a small espresso cup of sipping chocolate, about 100 kcal it somehow does the trick better than, say, if I ate a chocolate truffle. There’s just something extra cozy and comforting with a warm beverage :)