Anyone bake your own Gluten-free Bread?

Options
I can find tons of recipes all over the web you know, but hearing from someone that can actually testify about how the finish products tastes would be great! :smiley:

I only want to test the gluten free thing by going without, but I do see there are a lot of "flours" that are gluten free I can try. I just can't afford to waste ingredients so would love to hear from someone that knows. I really insist on making my own breads/recipes because I do not like the stuff they have in our markets. Very limited.

Thanks in advance for any feedback:)

Replies

• dauchka785
    dauchka785 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have tried for years but never did well. We had gone to uddis but I didn’t like it, my family did. Now that I’m sugar free it’s virtually impossible to find gf bread without sugar. I use a paleo recipe that is excellent! It’s made with almond flour, it’s high fiber and low carbs if your interested. It’s a smaller slice but, I’ve learned to enjoy it. I eat paleo/whole30 for my arthritis and no sugar.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Hi @Dardenel52 the best recipe I’ve found for gluten free bread that is tasty and can be toasted is:

( I actually add extra herbs to mine - but this is the main recipe=)

2.5 cups almond flour
    1/4 cup coconut flour
    1/2 cup butter
    8 oz cream cheese
    8 whole eggs (set out at room temperature)
    1 tsp Rosemary seasoning
    1 tsp Sage seasoning
    2 tbs Parsley seasoning
    1.5 tsp baking powder

Bake at 350 for 50-55 minutes in large loaf pan.

I also use this for croutons and stuffing and everyone comes back for seconds!

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I gave up trying ages ago, but was tempted when I saw (and checked with Fakespot that they were legit) the reviews for America's Test Kitchen gluten free baking books.

If I were ever going to try again, that's what I'd use.

I was diagnosed as a celiac so long ago that I'm really wore myself out with substitutes long ago and just prefer to live without them.
  • stutba
    stutba Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Yep on using almond flour. Be prepared for sticker shock crazy expensive. I usually try to stretch it using a 1/4 if the portion with oat flour. Works ok. Rice flour has an odd texture and results are poor.
  • como_agua1
    como_agua1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    these are keto buns i made a lot * not bread * but i think they are so easy and fast to whip up. please read the recipe and tips carefully and you will absolutely enjoy them to the max!

https://www.mypcoskitchen.com/keto-psyllium-buns-2/
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    ninap118 wrote: »
    these are keto buns i made a lot * not bread * but i think they are so easy and fast to whip up. please read the recipe and tips carefully and you will absolutely enjoy them to the max!

@ninap118 - those look great! Must try!
  • MissDenise1952
    MissDenise1952 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    stutba wrote: »
    Yep on using almond flour. Be prepared for sticker shock crazy expensive. I usually try to stretch it using a 1/4 if the portion with oat flour. Works ok. Rice flour has an odd texture and results are poor.

Glad you mentioned the rice flour texture, I'll skip trying that one!! Thank you!
  • MissDenise1952
    Options
    mg07030 wrote: »
    ninap118 wrote: »

@ninap118 - those look great! Must try!

I will try them, thank you so much! I thought I had my alerts set right but didn't get a one so sorry I'm back so late!
  • MissDenise1952
    Options
    stutba wrote: »

The recipe I ran across after I posted this today, on Dr. Axe site uses Almond Flour, So glad to get a review on that flour!

• MissDenise1952
    Options
    I gave up trying ages ago, but was tempted when I saw (and checked with Fakespot that they were legit) the reviews for America's Test Kitchen gluten free baking books.

If I were ever going to try again, that's what I'd use.

I was diagnosed as a celiac so long ago that I'm really wore myself out with substitutes long ago and just prefer to live without them.

I know it's going to be hard for sure, but I thought maybe I could get lucky and end up liking something gluten free. Hope so if that is my issue. I have eliminated a lot of things, but so far, not a firm answer for myself of what is causing some things. Thanks so much!
  • MissDenise1952
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I really do appreciate all the input I got here. I was never diagnose with Celiac, don't think I have it, but I do have some issues that are improving with nutrition changes, eating earlier in the day, and really cut back on dairy too. Now for the "wheat" test. I so love being my own guinea pig, LOL!! NOT! ;)

I'll put the link I found on Dr. Axe site here for anyone that might want to try it too. This one will cost some money right off since I don't have any of those flours it calls for, so I may try those buns @ninap118 gave me first. They look good;) oops, I think I need to add the link ;)https://draxe.com/recipe/coconut-flour-bread/
  • MissDenise1952
    Options
    Hey gals, if any of you are still around this thread, I want to find out if any of you use a bread-machine, or possibly, a tough blender that would work for a recipe that called for kneading?
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I use the Gluten free Bisquick because it's easy
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Back when I had a wheat intolerance I baked gluten free bread on a semi regular basis. My favorite blog, by far, was Gluten Free on a Shoestring. I've never owned a bread machine but I'd imagine it would be fine for kneading. I can't imagine a blender would work to knead anything (regardless of gluten content) for a few reasons a. it's simply not big enough and b. the motion isn't right. I have a vitamix at home and I wouldn't try to knead dough in it. I don't think I would try to do it in the food processor either (though making a shortcrust dough is another matter).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Dardenel52 wrote: »
    Hey gals, if any of you are still around this thread, I want to find out if any of you use a bread-machine, or possibly, a tough blender that would work for a recipe that called for kneading?

The following is all for traditional wheat flour.

I used to have a Bosch bread mixer which was just amazing. I don't think they make that model anymore. IIRC, I could reduce the risings to one short one with it.

I've had cheap bread machines that I don't recommend.

These days I mix pizza and calzone dough in my Cuisinart food processor and do the traditional two rises. Here's what ATK has to say about using the food processor: https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/5798-how-to-knead-bread-in-a-food-processor

Here's an "Almost No Knead Bread" recipe that I really like: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/almost-no-knead-bread-by-cooks-illustrated-50010165

Specific to GF - I'd see if my library had this book, test drive some recipes, and buy it if I liked it: https://shop.americastestkitchen.com/the-how-can-it-be-gluten-free-cookbook-2528.html
  • MissDenise1952
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    Back when I had a wheat intolerance I baked gluten free bread on a semi regular basis. My favorite blog, by far, was Gluten Free on a Shoestring. I've never owned a bread machine but I'd imagine it would be fine for kneading. I can't imagine a blender would work to knead anything (regardless of gluten content) for a few reasons a. it's simply not big enough and b. the motion isn't right. I have a vitamix at home and I wouldn't try to knead dough in it. I don't think I would try to do it in the food processor either (though making a shortcrust dough is another matter).

I was confused writing this today, I see now, and thank you for your input. I was reading the draxe recipe and he said to put it in a blender, but this wasn't a "recipe" that needed the kneading, LOL!! I realize now that a blender would not be built for kneading, but really glad you straightened that out for me;)

I'm going to check out your fave site, sounds good! Also, I didn't realize that maybe if I have an intolerance, it may not be forever. Maybe it worked like a detox. I know I've been reading and reading about how our bodies get out of balance, or deficient of something like, say, Magnesium. So then, it takes awhile to get back to that balance. I'm 66 now, and figure I've been eating wrong in so many ways, for maybe 3/4's of my life. But amazingly, I am doing pretty good. The wheat things is something I've really procrastinated on trying.

When I was shopping today, I saw all sorts of flours, seeds like Chia, but I just couldn't get them all today:) Payday is coming up and I really can hardly wait to have a go at this. We do have a Healthfood store as well as our Grocery Outlet, but the prices at GO are wonderful comparatively speaking, so I'll get what I can there;) Thank you much!!
  • MissDenise1952
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

The following is all for traditional wheat flour.

I used to have a Bosch bread mixer which was just amazing. I don't think they make that model anymore. IIRC, I could reduce the risings to one short one with it.

Thanks for the info and links! I was also thinking that maybe learning to knead with my hands would help strengthen them:) I use dumbells at home for lots of different exercises, but it's really starting to make a great difference in my hands as well. I hurt them some years ago from repetitive work. One reason I was thinking I would not be able to do a good job of kneading bread. I am going to try though before I invest in a bread machine:) Thank you again:)

• MissDenise1952
    Options
    I use the Gluten free Bisquick because it's easy

I will try this since I can't spend a lot right now on a DIY recipe. Thank you for the recommend, and I've always love Bisquick, so I'd be comfy trying it's GF version:) Thank you much!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

I was confused writing this today, I see now, and thank you for your input. I was reading the draxe recipe and he said to put it in a blender, but this wasn't a "recipe" that needed the kneading, LOL!! I realize now that a blender would not be built for kneading, but really glad you straightened that out for me;)

I'm going to check out your fave site, sounds good! Also, I didn't realize that maybe if I have an intolerance, it may not be forever. Maybe it worked like a detox. I know I've been reading and reading about how our bodies get out of balance, or deficient of something like, say, Magnesium. So then, it takes awhile to get back to that balance. I'm 66 now, and figure I've been eating wrong in so many ways, for maybe 3/4's of my life. But amazingly, I am doing pretty good. The wheat things is something I've really procrastinated on trying.

When I was shopping today, I saw all sorts of flours, seeds like Chia, but I just couldn't get them all today:) Payday is coming up and I really can hardly wait to have a go at this. We do have a Healthfood store as well as our Grocery Outlet, but the prices at GO are wonderful comparatively speaking, so I'll get what I can there;) Thank you much!!

I think it's more that my body is a bit odd and was going through some sort of unfortunate phase. I can assure you, that no detoxing happened (that's not a thing). What I do know is that a. I reacted in such a way to wheat for my pediatrician to test me for celiac when I was a teenager b. I didn't/don't have celiac, and c. after a long period avoiding wheat, I was able to eventually slowly reintroduce it to my diet.

But yeah, the website I linked to is really good.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I don't make my own often, but when I do, I use recipes from glutenfreeonashoestring.com. I use a lot of baking recipes from there. The pie crust is divine and so are the cream puffs. The bread is too labor intensive for me, but if you really want to pinch pennies, that's the way to go.