Weight gain???

Options
So I have been so careful for the past 2 weeks with diet, and I have done daily exercise aswell.
I weighed this morning and have gained 3lb in around 4 days :( I can't understand :( I am so disappoined :sad:

Replies

• awal2069
    awal2069 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Happens to me all the time if I dont drink enough water during the day and/or dont watch my sodium intake. Also, its called being a woman... LOL. Dont fret over it, weight yourself next week after you have had plenty of water and watched the sodium. :)
  • mgandia1
    Options
    im having the same problem i wanna throw my scale out the window ! :frown:
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Would you feel comfortable sharing your diary? We could take a look and make suggestions.

Thoughts that come to mind:
    1. Too much sodium
    2. Not enough water
    3. You're getting a 'visitor' soon.
  • klacoille
    Options
    I have the same problem. Thanks for the suggestion about the water. I'll try and up that.
  • kel834
    kel834 Posts: 23
    Options
    thought i was the only one!!!!!!!!!!! Keep pushing through, changes will come
  • thebunnies
    thebunnies Posts: 168
    Options
    my weight hasn't moved in weeks. i'm cutting out things like cereal, bread, rice, pasta to see if that helps a little. generally, i don't eat much of that stuff anyway, but it's enough to "cut out" to make a difference. i've done it before and it's helped a lot, and actually made me FEEL lighter and healthier.
  • debswebby
    debswebby Posts: 326
    Options
    Don't weigh every day, it will drive you crazy. Weekly is the most you should do to get a true reading
  • Peanut1026
    Options
    scales are mean...lol! another thought that comes to mind is if your exercising , I have heard that if you are gaining muscle you could gain weight as muscle weighs more than fat. I would suggest measuring, you could be losing inches instead of pounds.:smile:
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Have you ever taken your measurements? I've been on here for 180 days and I have lost 10 lbs...BUT I've lost 20 inches overall! That being said, the scale is the devil! And the measuring tape is my BFF! Keep at it, it'll happen! :smile:
  • Susie_Bee
    Options
    You should try to only weight once per week.

Your weight can fluctuate due to the following things:
    - Time of the month;
    - Digesting a big meal;
    - Constipation;

If you are exercising, you could also be putting on muscle mass in addition to losing fat. This will initally make it seem like your weight is going up but it takes more calories to sustain muscle than fat, so you will be burning more calories overall and will eventually lose weight.

The scale does not tell the whole story. You should also take your measurements from time to time and compare your progress that way, especially if you are exercising.

Some other thoughts are to look for hidden sugars/starches in the food that you are eating. Sugar is really an enemy here!

Do you drink alcohol?

"Research suggests that alcohol is one of the most fattening things you could consume. The problem is not only that alcohol is calorie-dense itself, second only to fat, but that it also tends to leave consumed protein, carbohydrate, and fat to be deposited to your fat stores as well.

The liver converts alcohol into components that cannot be stored by the body, and therefore must be metabolized immediately. When the body cycles into burning these components, it stops metablolizing and utilizing protein, carbohydrate, and fat. These nutrients are then processed and stored as fat wherever the person tends to carry it.

In summary, alcohol is highly fattening because it is high calorie and basically halts fat burning while activating fat production and storage in the body."

If all else fails, talk to your GP... you may want to look into getting your thyroid checked.

Good luck!
  • Twinkletoes11
    Twinkletoes11 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thankyou for all your help and advice. I have set my Diary to public temporarily.
    I dont weigh daily. Infact I have only just got new batteries for my scales. I try and drink as much water as I can but it tends to make me feel sick. I am defo NOT pregnant lol and I don't drink alcohol :)
    I have been measuring my waist and have noticed an inch loss.
  • YeOldeLancer
    Options
    I agree with MaryB. The scale doesn't give you the whole story. Though you may not be losing weight, you may very well still be losing fat but GAINING muscle. Volume for volume, muscle is more dense than fat , thus is heavier for the same amount of volume. A missing part of the whole picture is the measurements. A person the weighs 200lbs that is lean muscle will certainly be healthier and more fit overall than a person that weighs the same amount but has a high fat to muscle ratio.

Just keep working at it! :)
  • Twinkletoes11
    Twinkletoes11 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    also...the last time I weighed were on different scales...so maybe they were telling me fibs in the first place??
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Try weighing yourself only once a week at the same time to get a better picture of your progress.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    also...the last time I weighed were on different scales...so maybe they were telling me fibs in the first place??

Yes, different scales can give you very different results. Use the same scale every time.
  • kmumansky
    kmumansky Posts: 119
    Options
    If you're new to excercising I've read in multiple places not to weigh yourself for 4 weeks, and then start with the weekly weigh in after that. The reason is because you will probably gain some weight in that 4 weeks for various reasons (I admit I can't accuratly remember them and don't want to give you misinformation). I think part of it is because your muscles are not only getting bigger but also retaining water. Once your muscles starting getting bigger they will start burning more fat and then you will see the scale drop :)

I can say that I have found this to be true in the past with programs like P90X and Chalene Extreme. It is very discouraging to see to the point that It has made me fall off the wagon multiple times.

I say ignore the scale for a few weeks and keep going at it! You are doing great! :)
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Thankyou for all your help and advice. I have set my Diary to public temporarily.
    I dont weigh daily. Infact I have only just got new batteries for my scales. I try and drink as much water as I can but it tends to make me feel sick. I am defo NOT pregnant lol and I don't drink alcohol :)
    I have been measuring my waist and have noticed an inch loss.

Hi, I've had a look at your diary - what I recommend is that you eat your daily goal calories every day.
    If you have to eat less calories on some days, then only 100-150 calories.

You are eating to feed your metabolism, if it isn't fed properly - it can't work properly and burn fat efficiently.
    Skipping meals or eating under goal will not help you lose weight faster, it can actually slow your progress.

Also, I can't tell how much you have to lose in total.

If it is 20 pounds or less, then your weekly loss goal should be 0.5 pound a week
    Between 30 & 50, it should be 1 pound a week.

Change your settings to the above & eat all of your allocated calories, then you will start losing again.
  • JenGilronan
    JenGilronan Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting enough water. Eight cups is general rule for sedentary lifestyle... Exercising means more than 8...
    One website I looked at said that for my height and weight I should be drinking 13 cups daily! Yikes!! I keep it between 9-12...
    Make sure the cardio exercise is not daily routine activites but activities that increase your heart rate and challenge you.
    Add strengthening. Strengthening burn more calories over a longer period of time.
    Make sure you are fueling your body with enough and the right foods... proteins, veggies, fruits, good carbs.
  • Erica_78
    Erica_78 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't use a scale as my guide....I take measurements daily. Having a bad day on the scale usually sets me into a temporary mode of defeat and adds negativity that is such a diet killer. You are doing fine....keep with it! Staying active with cardio and watching what you are eating are key. If you must check your weight make sure you do it early in the morning and on an empty stomach and don't continue to check it throughout the day. You could be retaining too much water or your body might be starting to build more muscle which will help you burn that fat away. Remember in the first month of working out you are trying to trick your body into releasing the extra weight that it has been storing. The way you look right now is a direct result to the lifestyle in which you were living, by changing this lifestyle as you are doing your body will eventually have to change for the better to combat its new stresses. Remember you have to EARN YOUR BODY, it doesn't come for free! Stay positive and focused this is your time to do something wonderful for yourself and you will eventually achieve your goal.
  • cvaneaton
    cvaneaton Posts: 154
    Options
    Could also be water retension or maybe you are develping muscles that happened to me in the beginning...