What was YOUR final straw to finally make a change?

Options

Replies

• gcibsthom
    gcibsthom Posts: 30,115 Member
    Options
    I saw a photo of me and didn't recognize the fat guy in the picture. That is how strong the denial was. When I saw that I knew I had to make a change...
  • MrsDogLady
    MrsDogLady Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    WOW such inspiring stories! I'm a yo-yo since forever. Lose 60 gain it back, repeat, ... I want this to be the last time.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    adotbaby wrote: »
    I watched a BBC documentary called "Obesity Postmortem " and that was my wakeup call. My son had recently told me about MFP, and I checked it out, and liked it. Now, almost a year later, I'm down almost sixty pounds and five sizes, and have never felt better. I have about 15 pounds to go for my goal, and am confident that I will succeed. Reading posts here has helped me immensely; I feel like so many people are going through the same struggles, and that motivates me to keep with the program. My MFPeeps are amazing!

I watched that documentary, too! I’m trying to lose ~5lbs to get back to my “happy weight” and have never been obese, but it was FASCINATING to see the effects of obesity on the ENTIRE body.

The “Aha!” moment for me was 25yrs ago when MY PARENTS told me I had gotten fat! Around the same time I saw a photo of myself at a wedding (wearing a bright yellow dress - wth was I thinking?!?!) and realized I was a fat *kitten*.
  • WayLessWendy
    WayLessWendy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    1st wake up call was a photo of me on my wedding day. I looked huge next to my husband and absolutely hate the pictures of what should have been a happy day. Since then I made small changes (cut down on sodas, eat more vegetables, etc...) But still managed to gain another twenty pounds in three years, so the real turning point is a little more pathetic. I have a jacket, just a light little house coat really, that I bought in New York and my husband has a matching one and I love it. It's my favorite piece of clothing. Well, I noticed that the jacket was starting to get a little snug, especially around the midsection, and I really want to wear this jacket forever so I've got to lose the weight or I'll have to hang the coat up.
  • Dgil1975
    Dgil1975 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    about 6.5 years ago I went in for my annual physical. My blood work was horrible...my triglycerides were so high that they couldn't determine what my cholesterol was...pre-diabetic...blood pressure through the roof, etc.

My Dr. was pretty upfront with me and told me that if I didn't change things around I would likely be very sick, if not dead in my late 50s or early 60s which wasn't particularly surprising as my dad passed at age 62 because he never took care of himself and I was going down that same path.

At the time I had a 2 year old and a new born, so getting my *kitten* together was a no brainer.

This exact thing happened to me on November 10, 2018. Diagnosed hypertension, and undetectable cholesterol due to my triglycerides, and a B-12 level that hardly existed. Left the office with three scripts for BP, cholesterol and B12, as well as a focus to get back to a healthy body. This scare at age 43 was the trigger I needed to cut out the excuses and crap and return to a healthy lifestyle.

I quit smoking that day, and started back on calorie counting and started my journey back to health. 6 weeks ago after much thought I switched to a whole food plant based diet. Today I am off both medicines for BP and cholesterol and have lost 30 of the 70 pounds I needed.
  • UnDyddArYTro
    UnDyddArYTro Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had to weigh my children recently. Realising that my 12 year old weighs less than I need to lose to reach the fabled green BMI zone really kicked me into gear. I couldn't carry them around all day...but that's exactly what I'm doing to my poor body. I'll never be svelte but I can stop carrying an extra 5 stone around and hopefully feel better and healthier.
  • Samantharavenclaw84
    Options
    2 cancer scares in a year. This is on top of having early cancer caught and removed in 2013. October 2017. I was told by multiple doctors I had thyroid cancer. It wasn't, thankfully. That started me on taking steps to maintain and change my mindset about food and exercise. A breast cancer scare in December of this year solidified that I need to make a change and lead me to think about how lucky I am that I don't have any issues because of my weight. I want to make sure it stays that way!
  • jryepin93
    jryepin93 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I went to the sand dunes with my boyfriend's family and everyone ran down the dunes except for me. I was scared of how winded and tired I would be on the climb back up and didn't want to embarrass myself. I realized that my physical condition was preventing me from doing things I wanted to do and I never wanted to feel that way again.

I started running regularly and eating less and the weight came off, but most importantly, I feel ten times better.
  • ndargy1977
    ndargy1977 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Looking like I'm 9 months pregnant at the age of 50...............YUCK!! Feel free to add me.....but I really do enjoy seeing others diaries to help me with ruts I may be in :)
  • KrisChampagne
    KrisChampagne Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My final straw was 2 weeks ago- I dislocated my shoulder while tubing with my kids at the ski hill. I did not fall off or do anything crazy. I simply landed into the tube wrong. I am 100% confident that my weight played a huge factor in my injury. Nope. No more. Dislocated it on a Sunday met with my doctor 1 week later on a Monday and started taking control again on Tuesday. I am 1 week in. I have tracked every day, and I am down 6 pounds (I know it's water - but it's a start)