Default vs. Personalized Heart Rate Zones (an example)

Options
5gx0krwdx0e9.png
For those who are into heart rates and charts, I wanted to share these Garmin readouts of time spent in heart rate zones of 2 bike rides. The rides were a few weeks apart. I rode with the same group of people, same weather, same bike, same distance, same elevation in the same area (though different routes). My average and max heart rates were also nearly the same on both rides. The big difference is that I had a fitness test between them. I went to a physiology lab to test VO2 max, lactate threshold, max heart rate, and ventilatory values. The left graph is the time spent in each heart rate zone using Garmin's estimated zones. The right graph uses the personalized zones the physiologists set me up with.

The only real difference is my VO2 max. Garmin (and every generic calculation out there) correctly estimated my max heart rate and lactate threshold. But my VO2 max proved to be several orders off. I just thought the difference was interesting and worth sharing. For what it's worth, the personalized chart more closely matched my perceived exertion. At no point on either ride did I ever feel like I was pushing my limits, these were both casual weekend rides.

Replies

• Silent_Soliloquy
    Silent_Soliloquy Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Im a runner not a cyclist... but the default zones were waaaaay off for me too:

Garmin default:
    fdhgq3uqobe8.jpg

New zones based on my lactic threshold:
    is7rlxfu8b5s.jpg

The personalized one lines up very well with my percieved effort (I did 1 of the miles really hard on that run, and it took a long time for HR to come down).

Good news is now that I have it dialed in for me, I'm getting really good feedback from the graphs.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Im a runner not a cyclist... but the default zones were waaaaay off for me too:

Garmin default:
    fdhgq3uqobe8.jpg

New zones based on my lactic threshold:
    is7rlxfu8b5s.jpg

The personalized one lines up very well with my percieved effort (I did 1 of the miles really hard on that run, and it took a long time for HR to come down).

Good news is now that I have it dialed in for me, I'm getting really good feedback from the graphs.

That's a huge difference! Way to dial in the training!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,545 Member
    Options
    Yeah... I know what you mean. The annoying 220-age equation gives me an HR max of 175. In fact, for running it's more like 205, possibly a bit higher. So I guess you get the idea of what an automatic setup for me looks like :D
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Good that you got some information that fits you. Sounds like you know what to do with it.