Gaining Weight Back

Options
ItsMeDua
ItsMeDua Posts: 14 Member
edited February 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
In order to lose weight and then NOT GAIN IT BACK, am I supposed to have a calorie deficit for the rest of my life? In the year 2018, I lost 8kgs 😍 but then I stopped logging into MFP and gained back 4 kgs in a few months 😿 I did eat in greater quantities (Summer vacations) but not everyday. I was careful too. I really do see the importance of MFP now but for how long will I have to do this? Hopefully, after a few years I’ll have a good know how of what’s too much and what’s too little but sometimes you think you know but you don’t. I don’t know.. Any thoughts?

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    When you get to goal weight, the next step is to learn how to get into maintenance. A lot of people just go back to eating the same way they did, re-gain all the weight and wonder what happened. You can't go back to that kind of over-eating if you want to maintain your goal weight. But there are a lot of good resources in the maintaining weight section and a lot of people who have successfully kept it off, so it is possible :)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I have to continue logging.
    When I reached my goal in 2016 I had lost 140lbs. Due to a combination of not logging and a BCP that made me feel ravenous all the time I started 2018 23lbs heavier than 2016. So my conclusion is that I am horrible at eyeballing and will have to continue to log food 95% of the time to keep it off. The difference though is that I will be able to eat a few hundred more calories during maintenance.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Look into reverse diet. After being in a prolonged calorie deficit, you need to get your calories back up to your new maintenance slowly. Holy Baxter who is a dietitian and competitive body builder has done videos on YouTube tracking her reverse diet after shows.
  • ItsMeDua
    ItsMeDua Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That’s trueee and awesome! Thank you :)
    No Pain, No Gain..
    When you get to goal weight, the next step is to learn how to get into maintenance. A lot of people just go back to eating the same way they did, re-gain all the weight and wonder what happened. You can't go back to that kind of over-eating if you want to maintain your goal weight. But there are a lot of good resources in the maintaining weight section and a lot of people who have successfully kept it off, so it is possible :)

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,786 Member
    Options
    There are some interesting threads in the maintenance section....