lunch recipe ideas

Options
cmiles23
cmiles23 Posts: 234 Member
A friend at work and I have decided to hop back on the mfp train and realized we have been eating way to many prepackaged foods that consist of alot of sodium we ahve decided to alternate days on providing a healthy lunch and i would love some ideas on healthy lunches, something other than grilled chicken and green salad :) any suggestions would be appreciated

Replies

• misslyssx
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com is personally one of my favorite sites for dinner recipes. This is her lunch section http://www.skinnytaste.com/2007/07/lunch-recipes.html
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    bump I get bored too
  • jetsec
    jetsec Posts: 79
    Options
    Pitta breads with various fillings, wraps, jacket potatoes, pasta salads, prawn salad are just a few that I have.

Jayne
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    www.skinnytaste.com :)
  • cmiles23
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com is personally one of my favorite sites for dinner recipes. This is her lunch section http://www.skinnytaste.com/2007/07/lunch-recipes.html

THANKS ILL CHECK IT OUT!
  • thebunnies
    thebunnies Posts: 168
    Options
    sometimes i sautee some fresh veggies the night before, paired with either fish or chicken. i like bringing greek yogurt, berries & almonds for lunch, too. sometimes canned soup, sometimes fresh soup from across the street from my job (vietnamese food).
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    The night before add cooked quinoa to cut up cucumbers, tomatoes, spinach, onions and olives. Top with a little feta cheese and Greek dressing.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorites:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quinoa-and-black-beans/detail.aspx

When I made it last, I had enough for about 5 lunches. Just don't trust the NI on that site--run the numbers yourself with the ingredients you use.

I also added some thinly sliced, sauteed onion and green bell pepper on top, with a little hot sauce. It reminds me of a vegetarian burrito bowl from Chipotle :-)
  • lbeasey
    lbeasey Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Pita pockets with many great fillings: tomatoes, avocado slices, lettuce, corn salsa, feta cheese, and some sort of chicken
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I have a few good things posted on my blog, add me as a friend and check it out. i am always posting random stuff about recipes in my status update as well!
  • GHSub
    GHSub Posts: 4
    Options
    I know it is a salad but one that I make all the time is baby spinach with blu cheese crumbles and a few pieces of walnuts (instead of croutons) and then raspberry walnut dressing by Ken's (low fat) and it is awesome. I get the sweet taste, the crunch, and the cheese I crave all for a fairly low calorie cost. Another is a pasta salad using fat free Italian dressing, whole wheat pasta, red peppers, tomato, and a little bit of cube gouda cheese.
  • cmiles23
    Options
    THANKS EVERYONE!!!! GETTING LOTS OF GREAT IDEAS!!!!!!!!
  • amycakes812
    Options
    The night before add cooked quinoa to cut up cucumbers, tomatoes, spinach, onions and olives. Top with a little feta cheese and Greek dressing.

This sounds wonderful!
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I make salads - 2 of my favorites are chicken with shredded carrots, pea pods and mandarin oranges, with slivered almonds or taco strips. The other is chicken with roasted red peppers, cucumbers, olives (3), tomatoes and crumbled blue or feta cheese. I buy a cooked chicken at the supermarket, and it gives me enough chicken to make 4 salads during the week. For dressing, I light Newman's Light Caesar, or I make my own.
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Here's another favorite from Cooking Light - Tuna & White Bean Salad:

YIELD: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)
    COURSE: Salads

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups chopped peeled cucumber (1 medium)
    1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
    1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1 tablespoon extravirgin olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 (15.5-ounce) can white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
    2 (6-ounce) cans chunk light tuna, drained
    1 (2-ounce) jar diced pimiento, drained (or roasted red peppers)

Preparation

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl; toss well to coat.
    Nutritional Information
    Amount per serving

Calories: 278
    Calories from fat: 15%
    Fat: 4.7g
    Saturated fat: 0.8g
    Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
    Protein: 30.6g
    Carbohydrate: 28.2g
    Fiber: 6.2g
    Cholesterol: 26mg
    Iron: 5.4mg
    Sodium: 574mg

It's easy to make, healthy, transportable, and quite tasty. I prefer to soak my own beans, but if you don't have the time, canned beans work fine. Yum!
  • FabulousKP
    FabulousKP Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump
  • theba2il
    theba2il Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    eatingwell.com has great recipes too!