Alcohol

Options
This might sound absolutely ridiculous but can anyone confirm from experience that alcohol, specifically vodka, hinders fat loss..? I’ve been in a plateau for half a year almost, and I can’t believe I haven’t thought of this before

Replies

• foxtrot1965
    foxtrot1965 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I don't really know if there's a relationship outside of calories for alcohol. How much are you drinking that you're concerned about it? It can cause issues with many organs so I can't see why it couldn't cause issues with metabolic rate and other things.
  • Torxa
    Torxa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am losing weight and drink vodka almost every night. I drink it mixed with anything 0 calorie like water or Powerade Zero. I log all the calories and its always been fine.

SW: 140
    CW: 129
    Height: 5'3"

Recent weight changes, using Weightgrapher, weighed 27/30 days in the past 30 days:

Week change: down 0.57
    One month change: down 1.82lb

MFP settings:

Lose 0.5 lb per week, sedentary job, no exercise.

One thing that might help you is pre-logging your drinks and food. I always log in my vodka and some sort of snack. Today I have logged but not consumed yet 1 oz vodka + dried apples + cheese stick. That way I don't drink and then go looking for food, it is already logged, I just go straight for whatever I logged.

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    It hinders fat loss in the sense that it has calories in it, and if you are not accounting for the calories, you are taking in more than you think. Also, and of course everyone is different, but when I drink I tend to have less willpower to make good food choices. Outside of those things though, there is nothing specific about it that would hinder weight loss.
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    It slows it down for me, even accounting for the calories. I had plateaued-- stopped drinking 6 weeks ago and 5 lbs have come off (which is fast for me since I don't have much to lose). The first two weeks were the hardest.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    It should not hinder fat loss as long as you are in a calorie deficit; however, alcohol in a high enough %volume can be dehydrating (which is part of the reason why hangovers occur) and dehydration along with added salt intake can result in water retention, masking fat loss.
  • granitepeak1981
    granitepeak1981 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    For many people the inflammation that accompanies alcohol consumption can lead to weight gain, puffiness etc. I quit drinking beer and have noticed a change in inches but not as much on the scale. I account for the calories in the beer so my best theory is I get some inflammation from the beer. Try abstaining and not making any other changes and see what happens. Also are you drinking the vodka straight or with mixers?
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I drink white wine a few nights a week. It absolutely does not hinder my weight loss. I do try to preplan how much I will drink and/or snack afterwards because alcohol does affect my ability to not snack endlessly.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of red wine - as long as I actually measure it (and not guess my pour on the glass) and account for the calories I still lose weight. Typically have a glass most evenings....sometimes 2 - sometimes none....but it still works as long as you account for it.
  • michael_m1989
    michael_m1989 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have found that if I were to go out to a bar and have one drink, I'm fine. It I have anymore than that it hinders my progress, so I think like anything else, its calories in, calories out.