My year with myfitnesspal from 240 to 167 lbs

Replies

• palmuphandopen
    palmuphandopen Posts: 30 Member
    speechless!

edit: Okay, now that I've regained my speech, I just want to say you look incredible. Your post is one of the most helpful posts I've ever read on here.

Aw thanks :)
  • palmuphandopen
    ndargy1977 wrote: »
    -I spoke kindly to myself

YES!!!!! I'm 51 years old....and just starting to do this. It's a daily struggle.....but we are all so worth it!!! Negative talk is so toxic......but yet so hard not to do......

CONGRATULATIONS for speaking kindly to yourself :)

and of course for looking so fantabulous!!!

Right? At 42 I'm just tired of beating myself up. Time to treat myself like I would a friend and I work on it every day... speaking kindly is a skill and takes work but it's worth it.

• lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    You look marvellous, fab-u-loss and absoultly beautiful! Thank you for sharing your raw, rational and gently approach to your success. All the best you you and your indeavours for yet another year of greatness!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    Truly inspiring! Bravo Zulu!
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,535 Member
    Jesus this is one hell of a result. Really great job. This is just another illustration that it takes hard work, dedication and sacrifice.
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Wow, just Wow!!!! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
  • noegrand123
    noegrand123 Posts: 166 Member
    This is fabulous! Congrats to you and thanks so much for sharing this journey for all of us starting out!!! It’s really something to think about - start now - so that a year from now we can see a difference in our own health!!!
  • rachelpelucca
    rachelpelucca Posts: 57 Member
    You are so inspiring and you look amazing! ❤️ congrats on your hard work 💪🏻
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    @palmuphandopen I love that you included speaking kindly to yourself, so important. I would like to start weight training, and I am going to look into some of the apps you mentioned. You mentioned beginner guidance? What does that mean. Oh, and you are inspiring!
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Incredible! I'm 5'5'' as well and also in the mid 160's and it's crazy how completely different our bodies are. I started at 208 so have lost a bit as well but gone about it in a different way (light weight training -but most exercise is from group fitness classes). Kind of makes me wonder where I'd be right now if I had taken the same path as you (and if I could actually have abs ). Anyway- thanks for sharing your story and congrats! :)
  • mummy_h
    mummy_h Posts: 103 Member
    xtf9kj30jmsd.jpg

So I started in January last year. At first it was just using myfitnesspal as a tracking tool with my goal set to 2 lbs per week. Tracking my food, I mean really tracking my food opened my eyes up to how I was eating and how I got to 240 lbs. In fact I was probably heavier than 240 when I first started but it took me a bit to drag out the scale. I did the following as well, but the one thing that remained consistent was tracking and logging my foods - which I believe made the biggest difference (no food restrictions, just trying to eat within my calories to get that deficit):

-I started at the gym with a beginner weight training guide and cardio
    -I switched over the to the (free) nike training app and did two plans of 4 and 6 weeks in duration
    -I started to run more on the treadmill as I got lighter and it didn't hurt so much
    -I started getting serious about weight training and did 5x5 stronglifts for 12 weeks (check out the resources online and the free app)
    -I set milestone rewards for every 5 lbs lost in the beginning such as - buy a charm for my bracelet, get my nails done, buy a new piece of clothing, treat yourself to an at home spa day ... (after about 50 lbs lost I didn't do this as much but might start it up again!)

It hasn't always been easy and every day is not perfect. What I find is that consistency is key. If you have a bad day then leave that behind and don't let it sabotage your continued progress. I went from a size 16-18/xl to now a size 6 and a sm/m. I have so much more energy now! I have a routine, and I have renewed goals for 2019.

I just want to encourage anyone starting out that you never know how far you can come in a year, so give yourself a chance, don't give up on yourself and just do what you can each day until it adds up!

I'm excited to see where I will be next year! how about you?

Well done! You look amazing, but id be happy to look how you look in your first pic lol
  • cowleyl
    cowleyl Posts: 169 Member
    You look amazing. I'm so impressed with your abs. I wouldn't have thought that possible. Thanks for sharing your exercise routine (as well as the other stuff). I'm going to do what you've done! I've lost around 70lb and have about 40 to go. I don't know that I can get the abs, but I'll do my best.
  • becca_rup23
    becca_rup23 Posts: 396 Member
    That's awesome! I started out with a little higher stats than you and have lost 73 lbs but I haven't been able to lose the last 20 or so that I want to lose but I'm inspired! Awesome work!
  • Anthem76
    Anthem76 Posts: 81 Member
    Wow, great job! I am 5'9" and 170 pounds. I had thought I needed to get down to 140/145, but maybe what I really need is to lift. It's hard because while I can do cardio at home, in order to lift, I need to find time to hit the gym. Also I find weights intimidating for some reason. Still, I love the idea of being strong and being able to consume more calories than I'll be allowed at 140. You've given me lots to think about. Thank you!
  • lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 412 Member
    ndargy1977 wrote: »

YES!!!!! I'm 51 years old....and just starting to do this. It's a daily struggle.....but we are all so worth it!!! Negative talk is so toxic......but yet so hard not to do......

CONGRATULATIONS for speaking kindly to yourself :)

and of course for looking so fantabulous!!!

Right? At 42 I'm just tired of beating myself up. Time to treat myself like I would a friend and I work on it every day... speaking kindly is a skill and takes work but it's worth it.

you said it! i love kind speakers.😁
  • palmuphandopen
    amfmmama wrote: »
    @palmuphandopen I love that you included speaking kindly to yourself, so important. I would like to start weight training, and I am going to look into some of the apps you mentioned. You mentioned beginner guidance? What does that mean. Oh, and you are inspiring!

I'll have to re-read what I wrote. I highly recommend stronglifts 5x5. There is an app (search 5x5 in the app store) that is free and you can also see the lifts and form tips from the app. If you just start with the barbell - which is 45 lbs and gradually increase as you can you will see results. It's a 5 day/week program and I found it very effective because it gives you the basics.

For the Nike Training Club app (also free) you can set your workouts to the type of equipment you have and how many days/week you'd like to work out. I actually started with that before stronglifts.

• Britxclarity
    Britxclarity Posts: 235 Member
    Thank you for sharing. You are looking amazing!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!