List your Seasonings

Options
tmoneyag99
tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
edited February 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Dieting is tough, especially when the food is bland.

Put a picture (or 2) of your most used seasonings that aren't salt and pepper here and give a quick synopsis how you use them.

If you are from East Texas... This gets put on pretty much everything. Especially Vegetables. You could be poor and not be able to afford much of anything. But if this is in your cabinet next to the old black and white, you can make just about anything edible.

GetImage.ashx?Path=%7e%2fAssets%2fProductImages%2fCreole-Seasoning-8oz-LG.jpg&maintainAspectRatio=true&maxHeight=300&maxWidth=300

This stuff is the bomb-digity. This is how I got my son at 6mths old to eat avocado. I put it on just about anything I want to give more southwestern flavor to. Beans, rice, chicken, avocado..

7440_170926094647.jpg

Hmm, I see a trend here. I use this when I want to make greek salad dressing, on sauteed zuccini, low carb kefedes, on sea food. it's pretty awesome too

56168_161222130817.jpg

Replies

• JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I got this to use on grilled (or baked) chicken.. but put it on my burger one day before grilling and was hooked!! It's soooo good!

0k3g3wl3ibu3.jpg
  • Amwa77
    Amwa77 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    hsjz2ryjzx59.png
    I use it on my buffalo chicken wraps and air fried potatoes. The cheddar flavor is also good :)
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    3 of my favorites

xwamn4aywfn2.jpg
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,434 Member
    Options
    chipotle salt, different cream cheeses, lite when I can find them. Love the jalapeno, then green onion, veggie, also smoky paprika, chili flakes, Bragg seasoning
  • rcervetto
    rcervetto Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    herbs de provence for chicken/pork

old bay for seafood, potatoes (tons of stuff really, so yummy!)

taco/mexican seasoning for ground turkey/beef (make my own with chili powder, cumin, cayenne, paprika, salt)

S/P/rosemary for roasted veggies

sometimes just make stuff up with whatever's in the spice cabinet LOL
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    This isn't related, but I listened to a podcast this morning (This American Life) that was partly about how the myth of MSG being bad for you got started. It's a myth that's been repeatedly debunked, but it's interesting that we still see "No MSG" on everything.

yeah the MSG thing is complete garbage. Regardless, there is a large enough group of buyers that effect sales so companies go with it. Regardless those two seasonings are awesome.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    3 of my favorites

xwamn4aywfn2.jpg

I haven't tried the others, but Sweet Rub O' Mine is what I use on nearly all my veggies. For meat and stuff, I just use onion powder, garlic powder, and salt.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options
    I make one crockpot chicken dish and have tried many different seasonings (mostly Mrs. Dash type stuff) and never liked the outcome. Finally used Accent Seasoning and that's the only thing I'll use now.
  • kamartinek
    kamartinek Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cumin and Cayenne are the two I probably add to the most dishes, but "Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat" on Netflix turned me onto a new one - Za'atar. Mixture of thyme, sesame seeds, and sumac. Mixes well with olive oil and goes really well with vegetables.

u3hmo95zw579.png

• Luciicul
    Luciicul Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Oyster sauce - goes with stir fry’s, Chinese dumplings, or sometimes I’ll water it down and pour over steamed vegetables.

fresh lemon or lime juice - tastes good on chicken, lamb, raw or steamed vegetables

Italian herb mix - my go to when making spaghetti bolognaise, lasagna, soup etc

Am currently experimenting with Sumac. Have tried it on chicken and steamed vegetables so far.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Oh my. I don’t think I can include a pic of even just my most common.

Garlic, cumin, chili pepper (plus ancho and chipotle), cayenne pepper, cinnamon, coriander, dill, fennel, rosemary, sumac, paprika (plus smoked, hot and sweet), Curry, berbere, basil, oregano, turmeric, mustard powder, sage....

Those are just the ones next to the stove for easy access.

I tend to eat a lot of middle eastern, African and Indian dishes. So my frequently used spice collection reflects that.

• HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Cocoa/cacao: Add richness and depth to stews, sauces, soups, chili.
    Any particular starting recommendations for culinary noobs? I bought some cacao powder when it was on offer a while back and now I'm not sure what to do with it beyond adding it to yogurt.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Penzey's Fox Point seasoning on anything savory. I especially like it on eggs, cheese pizza, and in soups, but I will throw it in or on practically everything.

6plh0s9n6xrn.png

For roasted veggies, I currently love Penzey's 33rd and Galena. It says "chicken and pork rub"...just ignore that and sprinkle a generous amount on your broccoli before it goes in the oven.

1o2c7grtx330.png

No, I don't work for Penzey's.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I have way too many spices to list, and they are in too many places to take pictures of them all.

For salt alone, I have fine pink salt, coarse pink salt, coarse grey salt, black salt, red salt, smoked salt, and regular white salt.

The smoked salt is amazing on grilled steak.

If I had to limit myself to four spices, they would be salt, pepper, Frontier Italian seasoning, and Frontier pumpkin pie spice.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,867 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Cocoa/cacao: Add richness and depth to stews, sauces, soups, chili.
    Any particular starting recommendations for culinary noobs? I bought some cacao powder when it was on offer a while back and now I'm not sure what to do with it beyond adding it to yogurt.

I think it's better cooked than raw, personally - we're talking the plain cocoa/cacao powder, no sugar or anything else in it.

I'm a vegetarian. I find that it adds a nice umami depth to something like veggie chili, or a simlar rather spicy vegetable stew/soup. I like about a tablespoon per (large) serving, but you might want to start with a teaspoon per serving, let it cook briefly to permeate, then taste and see what you think. If you can't taste it at all, add a little more, until you can perceive the difference - which should be enough to decide whether it's something you'll like.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    I switch around, but my favorites are Old Bay, Penzeys Provence Herbs, various curry powders, smoked salt, garlic and more garlic, Chinese 5 spice and home made hot pepper sauces. Recently I made a batch of Moroccan preserved lemons that I love to chop over chicken breasts before baking.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Two spices/herbs/sauces is kind of silly for me. I also won't even go close to listing most of what I use on a monthly basis. You are getting a very truncated list because it's late and I'm too tired to think of a lot of things

As for actual mixes - adobo powder, Chinese five spice, garam masala
    Herbs (typically fresh) - rosemary, parsley, sage, oregano, thyme bay leaf
    Spices (not mixed) - cinnamon, coriander, red pepper flakes (there's a really fantastic korean brand that is really flavorful), paprika
    Pastes - thai curry pastes of various types, gochujang, miso

Also yes to the preserved lemons! I just transferred one jar from the pantry to the fridge and I might start another one while I can still get meyer lemons.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,987 Member
    Options
    I put this on French fries, as intended, but it’s also amazing on popcorn, vegetables, meats, anything really. zua0pq4w6139.jpeg