Not eating enough protein

Options
I'm tryi ng to lose 60 pounds so I'm cutting back carbs and trying to eat more protein instead. However, I always end up over my carb goal and way under my protein goal. How do I get more protein each day?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    There are two ways to get more protein in your diet. Larger servings of the protein-rich foods you're already eating or adding protein-rich foods to your diet.

It's hard to be more specific without knowing how you're already eating.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    What are your carb/protein goal, and why do you feel like you need to cut back on carbs to lose weight? Losing weight is all about calories. If you are eating carbs and still under your calorie goal, you will lose weight.
  • Jenna__XoXo
    Jenna__XoXo Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    What are your carb/protein goal, and why do you feel like you need to cut back on carbs to lose weight? Losing weight is all about calories. If you are eating carbs and still under your calorie goal, you will lose weight.

My carb goal is 134 grams protein 178 grams fat 59 grams for a total of 1780 calories. I've always heard that you need to cut calories and eat more protein to lose fat.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Your protein goal is very high, imo. That is probably why you are going over.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    My carb goal is 134 grams protein 178 grams fat 59 grams for a total of 1780 calories. I've always heard that you need to cut calories and eat more protein to lose fat.

This is a myth. You need to eat less calories than you burn - eat in a calorie deficit. You can eat what you like, you just need to make sure you are eating less calories than you expend. What is your height and weight? What is your goal weight?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »

While it is true that a calorie deficit is what matters for weight loss, a proper macro balance can help maintain muscle and for satiety. The general recommendation for protein is 0.6-0.8 g per pound of goal body weight and 0.35-0.45 g of fat per pound of goal weight. The rest fill in with carbs.

For example, if your goal weight is 150 lbs (just throwing a number out there), your protein goal would be 90-120 g and your fat goal would be 52-67 g. Based on that, I would say your protein goal sounds rather high.

Well depends on what type of carbs you are filling it with.

are you filling it with simple carbs? Hello hunger pangs

Or are you filling it with a good balance of fiberous fruits and vegetables.

PS, .6grams of protien seems low to me. For a 200lb person That's only 6oz per day.

That's like 2 boiled eggs a day and a handful of nuts.

Unless we are talking per meal.

.6g protein/lb of overall weight for 200lb is 120g protein (or 480cal in protein a day); .6-.8 is the recommended range
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Your protein is set too high. Up your fats and lower the protein.
  • Jenna__XoXo
    Jenna__XoXo Posts: 117 Member
    Options

This is a myth. You need to eat less calories than you burn - eat in a calorie deficit. You can eat what you like, you just need to make sure you are eating less calories than you expend. What is your height and weight? What is your goal weight?

I am 5'10" and 208 pounds, My goal weight is around 160.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

While it is true that a calorie deficit is what matters for weight loss, a proper macro balance can help maintain muscle and for satiety. The general recommendation for protein is 0.6-0.8 g per pound of goal body weight and 0.35-0.45 g of fat per pound of goal weight. The rest fill in with carbs.

For example, if your goal weight is 150 lbs (just throwing a number out there), your protein goal would be 90-120 g and your fat goal would be 52-67 g. Based on that, I would say your protein goal sounds rather high.

Well depends on what type of carbs you are filling it with.

are you filling it with simple carbs? Hello hunger pangs

Or are you filling it with a good balance of fiberous fruits and vegetables.

PS, .6grams of protien seems low to me. For a 200lb person That's only 6oz per day.

That's like 2 boiled eggs a day and a handful of nuts.

Unless we are talking per meal.

.6g protein/lb of overall weight for 200lb is 120g protein (or 480cal in protein a day); .6-.8 is the recommended range

Yeah I realized after the fact that I was looking at the calorie column and not the protein column.

I still maintain the TYPE of carbs used to fill the plate is important as well. While I don't have any statistical data to back up my theory, I think the remainder should be 75% from non-Starchy/non-processed plants (ie fresh fruits and vegetables) and nuts.

Example: If you have a 1700 kCal diet, and 480 calories come from protien, you need to *try* to get 915 calories from non-starchy plants (which provide the most micro nutrients) good fats and nuts.

Why?