Dont no a thing

Options
Alrighty I am a womam runner barley no a thing bout weight training. I wrote out what I did today and my husband said i shouldn't be doing 2 sets of 40 reps of 35lbs (tricep rope pulldowns) that i should focus on lifting heavier with less reps. Is that true? I just want to be skinny an cut lol. Help friends ??

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    In general you will see a more benefits from doing less reps and higher intensity and more than likely more sets than what you describe.

If you were training for endurance, than higher rep schemes could be useful.
  • Emberlain
    Emberlain Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You might enjoy 3x5 (so that's quite heavy) and you might enjoy 3x12 (a little more endurance, you'd use a much lighter weight than you could withstand for 5) so for beginners I usually recommend 3x8.

Pick a weight that makes your 8 reps feel comfortable and challenging, but not so heavy your form breaks down on the last rep. You should be able to complete the set.

If you succeed at 3x8, increase the weight a little on your next workout.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    40 reps of anything sounds like torture to me. I started with stronglifts 5x5 and still tend to stay close to that range. Sometimes it's 3x8, 4x6-7, or on something like glute bridges or lunges with bicep curl, 10 reps. Do what you like, but have a look at some proven programs. Try one that fits your goals.