Legs Wearing Out While Walking

Options
When I hit the treadmill I feel pretty motivated. I've been walking and try to throw in some jogging. I can't seem to jog much more than about an eighth of a mile. Either way, jogging or just walking it's not my body or respiration. It's my legs, especially calves. They get really tense and it makes it very difficult to finish the mile. Usually I wrap it up at 3\4 mile, hit the weights, then walk another quarter to half mile before going home.

Any tips on what to do about my legs to get them to carry me further? It makes me hate that part of the workout and I know if I hate something I'm less inclined to do it even if it is good for me.

Thanks y'all!

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this and what was your level of activity before this? What are your height weight age stats?
    If you are new to these activities and/or significantly overweight, take it slow and gradual. You should be able to walk a brisk pace for 45-60 minutes before you begin jogging. Then follow a structured program like C25K.

I started out barely being able to walk 1/4 mile and eventually worked up to a 5k run. Also consider incorporating stretching or yoga afterwards. It's great that you're doing weights too. You could consider alternating treadmill and weight training days.

Have you been professionally fitted for running shoes with a gait analysis? Most running stores do this. The proper shoes can make a huge difference.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,310 Member
    Options
    Do you warmup or stretch first?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Your calves are probably tight, which is very common. Try this calf stretch for 30 seconds every 1-2 hours, and before walking too. Use a reminder app if you forget to do it throughout the day.
    Post an update in a few days. :+1:
  • Newby1974
    Newby1974 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    lx1x wrote: »
    Do you warmup or stretch first?

No. It never occurred to me. 🤔
  • Newby1974
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Your calves are probably tight, which is very common. Try this calf stretch for 30 seconds every 1-2 hours, and before walking too. Use a reminder app if you forget to do it throughout the day.
    Post an update in a few days. :+1:

Thank you. Appreciate the tip.
  • Newby1974
    Options
    Is walking new for you? Don't jog, just walk. You can do 3/4s of a mile, that is a start.

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop. Confucius "

Yes. Just lazy strolling around the neighborhood isn't a problem. But at the gym I move quick at the pace of 4 mph or jog at 5-6. It's my cardio time to get my fat burning blood moving for the weight lifting.
  • Newby1974
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »

If you are having trouble at 4mph, then do 3mph and work on it until you can feel more comfortable. You will still burn calories walking at that pace.

I was afraid of hearing that. 😐
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Do you change the incline of the treadmill?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Newby1974 wrote: »

If you are having trouble at 4mph, then do 3mph and work on it until you can feel more comfortable. You will still burn calories walking at that pace.

why?
  • stutba
    stutba Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Just a thought... When I am on the treadmill with just plain street shoes, like my sketchers, I get shin pains terrible. (even when just walking on the treadmill). I put on my running shoes (just started running again) and the pains go away.
    Is it possible you need to get fitted for a good pair of running shoes? They are pricey, but it is worth it. You need to go to a reputable store to get fitted properly. I wouldn't just buy a pair of the shelf as they might not be what is needed.
    Best of luck
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have this problem and have been working through it with a bit of success. LOTS OF STRETCHING. Ankle rolls/flexes, hamstring stretches, quad stretches, some general dynamic stretches (high knees, butt kicks, inch worms, etc). Sometimes I walk like 1/4 or 1/2 a mile then get off and stretch again, then get back on and actually do whatever workout I intended to do. The stretch that helps my shins and calves the most is just to simply stand with my foot flexed back on the ground to stretch out the front of my ankle.

I started at like, 30 seconds of jogging every 5 minutes. I'm now up to 2-3 minutes every couple minutes.

but seriously, alllll the stretching. Before, during, after.... if it starts up, pause the treadmill and stretch some more.
  • Newby1974
    Options

why?

Because I wanna push a lil harder, further and faster. I don't wanna hafta slow down... Even if show and steady wins the race, so to speak.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

why?

Because I wanna push a lil harder, further and faster. I don't wanna hafta slow down... Even if show and steady wins the race, so to speak.

Keep pushing till you get injured then and learn the hard way... :laugh:
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    to keep pushing will mean you will have to stop and recover from injuries.
    slow and steady is better
    there are some walking videos, or you could look at one of the many interval programs, like c25k.
    consider getting good shoes. typically, i recommend going to a running store(local) and getting a gait analysis. a kinda expensive pair of shoes is still cheaper than a dr visit, xrays, and pt. a local store will help you find local groups and some stores even have different programs for people who are starting to move more. just go in and be honest about your fitness level and what your short and long term goals.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options

Then I am confused why you asked for tips. Would you rather have us lie to you and say, yeah dude, run like the wind...until you can't walk and end up in physical therapy to undo the damage you did to yourself? Several of the people who have responded to you in this thread started where you are and learned from experience to slow down and build stamina. You do you and I hope it all works out ok for you.