Not eating enough protein

2»

Replies

• The_Weaze
    The_Weaze Posts: 512 Member
    I try to aim for at least 30 grams of protein for my main meals and then fill the rest in via my snacks. Egg whites, meat, greek yogurt and whey are my main sources.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    My carb goal is 134 grams protein 178 grams fat 59 grams for a total of 1780 calories. I've always heard that you need to cut calories and eat more protein to lose fat.

This is a myth. You need to eat less calories than you burn - eat in a calorie deficit. You can eat what you like, you just need to make sure you are eating less calories than you expend. What is your height and weight? What is your goal weight?

I am 5'10" and 208 pounds, My goal weight is around 160.

I'd aim for around .8 g/lb of your healthy goal weight, or 128 g, as others said. It's okay to go over (and somewhat under is okay too, I picked the high end of the range recommended to help protect muscle when losing weight). Beyond that, the amount of fat vs. carbs probably does not matter -- I see you are aiming for 30% fat, which seems reasonable to me.

Other than struggling with the protein/carb balance, are you feeling satisfied on what you are eating?

If you do need to increase protein and decrease carbs, I agree with the person who mentioned just adjusting serving sizes. Another thing that helped me eat more protein (although I usually ate 90-120 g, I'm only 5'3), was making sure I have some good source of protein in every meal rather than trying to get most of it at just dinner or not having it at breakfast.

I was just reading an analysis of studies on Menno Henselmens' website and from all the research he showed, he concluded that there is no additional MPS benefit above .75 grams per lb of body weight. His recommendation is .82 for a margin of error. Above that is preference.

As others have said, OP your understanding of macro manipulation for fat loss is not accurate.
  • Dgil1975
    Dgil1975 Posts: 110 Member
    Seems like this has been well answered, but my two cents is that people are putting way to much focus on protein. I’m 6’ tall, and 229lbs male, I’ve taken up a plant based eating for health reasons only. I generally eat 80-120 grams of protein a day, depending on if I lifted weights. The rest of my diet is about 15% healthy fats, and non-processed carbs about 70%. This has not caused me to gain weight, and I have been very consistent on the weight loss journey.

When it comes to losing weight, The most important thing is to choose an eating plan that does not make you suffer, second most important is the calorie deficit. Weight loss will only sustain with both of those things.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2019
    Dgil1975 wrote: »
    Seems like this has been well answered, but my two cents is that people are putting way to much focus on protein. I’m 6’ tall, and 229lbs male, I’ve taken up a plant based eating for health reasons only. I generally eat 80-120 grams of protein a day, depending on if I lifted weights. The rest of my diet is about 15% healthy fats, and non-processed carbs about 70%. This has not caused me to gain weight, and I have been very consistent on the weight loss journey.

When it comes to losing weight, The most important thing is to choose an eating plan that does not make you suffer, second most important is the calorie deficit. Weight loss will only sustain with both of those things.

Increased protein supports muscle retention and metabolic functions. Not only that muscle makes you looks more lean. And high protein diets have the highest compliance rate.

It also amazes me how many people assessed the OPs protein was too high without asking the most basic of questions. At 134g, the OPs protein is in a good place.

OP, you dont need to hit those numbers daily, but it is certainly not too much protein.

For sources of protein, you can do Greek yogurt, meats, fish/seafood, and or plant based proteins.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    @psuLemon 134 is her carbs, her protein goal is actually 178. Not disagreeing with your post at all, just the numbers in her post were a little confusing.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2019
    kimny72 wrote: »
    @psuLemon 134 is her carbs, her protein goal is actually 178. Not disagreeing with your post at all, just the numbers in her post were a little confusing.

Whoops read that wrong. I thought her protein goal is 134.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

Yes, this, and she was struggling to hit it.
  • azazel833
    azazel833 Posts: 23 Member
    OP check my log
  • mdreddie
    mdreddie Posts: 73 Member
    Foods like eggs and Fage yogurt are really high in protein and low in carbs.
  • mdreddie
    mdreddie Posts: 73 Member
    Baked poultry, meat generally, and fish are also very high in protein and low in carbs.