Does your family know you’re “dieting”?

Options
2»

Replies

• lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    asochable wrote: »
    @TavistockToad thanks. I’m pretty good about limiting the snacks. My husband has a hard time with it not just because it’s his favorite foods but then the guilt of his family going out of the way to please him when he visits. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Your husband will have to learn some of these skills to get to his healthy weight. His guilt is his, you can’t control that. He can eat his favorite foods in moderation unless he is at a critical point where he shouldn’t be eating specific things than he needs to take ownership of that.

Suggest everyone go for a walk after breakfast or play a game with the kids.

In the long run, spending a week with family will not completely derail goals. The skills learned however (moderation, subbing low cal options, exercise/walking) will keep him consistent. Being with family should be the biggest focus!
  • Laura48593
    Laura48593 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The first time I did this (pre-injury) and got to my desired weight several of my family members were not supportive, and even some of my friends. However, I was working out and eating right and going to my doctor. Those who said things were usually overweight and would say things like, “why aren’t you eating?” And once my grandmother asked me why I didn’t go back for seconds after overfilling my plate for thanksgiving. It only got worse when I developed vertigo as a side effect of a serious sinus infection that went undiagnosed. Many in my family said it was a result of my “not eating enough” and that I was being unhealthy, except for the ones who I spent time with—those who also hiked, biked, swam, and stayed active like my husband and I.

The point I’m trying to make is, there are always going to be people who say you don’t need to lose weight, and then tell you that you’re too skinny when you reach the weight that your doctor tells you that you need to be at. It’s easier said than done, and maybe it was easy for me because a lot of those ppl in my family are not supportive in other ways as well. Whenever I choose to live a healthy life, though, I find I lose some people who do not support me and also make some new friends.

One last thing I have to say is this: if you and/or your husband really and truly care about what these people say/think, you can always just say (to yourself) that you will eat one unhealthy thing with every meal. If you are still exercising while you are there, you may also not feel as guilty about that. But food is for sustenance and it is there to help us live happy lives; food is not a substitute for happiness and we should not eat it to make others happy.
  • Laura48593
    Laura48593 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Also, after reading your responses to some other comments, I can’t help but wonder if maybe this isn’t your husband’s issue and not your own? My husband and I eat and exercise together but when it comes to going out to eat and meals with family he chooses what he wants. We can’t force other people to live the lives we want them to and you can’t force him to say no, unfortunately.
  • asochable
    asochable Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    @Laura48593 that was so helpful, thank you! I think you’re right, a lot of it does come down to my husband making better choices and deciding how to handle his folks. Fortunately my parents are local and so we don’t really have to worry about a whole weekend (or longer) eating according to their schedule. And @bumbambi you made great points about just saying no to certain things. Hopefully they get the idea!

Thanks all for your insight!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I've been using MFP for six years (about 1.5 actively losing and 4.5 maintaining so far). Obviously when I dropped over 100 lb, people knew I was doing something differently. But when it comes to extended family and eating together, I don't feel like my habits are that noticeable. I still eat "all" foods, pretty much. I just eat a little less and don't snack in between meals. I still have a portion of meat, veggies, even dessert, but usually skip extra stuff like bread or chips and dips. There is not a big need to explain anything to my extended family. I am also the type of person who likes junk...especially stuff like fudge and pie...but I'm pretty good at keeping it to ONE small portion, so it works out.
  • brittgreenlikethecolor88
    Options
    Eh, I really don't share unless someone asks & just adapt to whatever is going on. If we eat out, I just order salad or a grilled meat with veggies. If a homemade meal is unhealthy, I just eat a little bit of it & try to load up on whatever is the healthiest food available is (example: A large side of veggies). I really don't restrict too much on WHAT I eat.... it's all about portion size at that point! If someone notices, I just tell them I'm focusing on making healthy choices :) No one argues with that answer! It's hard to argue with "just trying to be healthy" lol
  • dechowj
    dechowj Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    This sounds just like my in-laws. My mother in law would show us how much she loved us by overloading us with "our favorites" when we came over. And would get offended if we didn't eat it all because then we didn't love her back. It took us a long time to slowly work on changing the habits.

My husband and I would start going overboard and praising the healthier items she made. So now she's marked the healthier dish as a favorite and makes it to make us happy. Also before each visit my husband will call a few times and say over and over "don't worry about the pizza or bagels, we are fine without that. What we would really love to do is make you guys these yummy omelets we've come to love." We made it about a positive we want to share the food we love kind of thing instead of a negative we don't eat that junk thing. But the food talk really did go over better coming from my husband. When it was me she wouldn't listen as well, haha.

I would also stop and get a fruit platter or veggie platter to bring over to have available for snacks. (I bring something everywhere because I feel bad showing up empty handed, I'm weird I know.) But after 3 times of bringing a fruit platter, now she buys one knowing we want that.

When we first started nothing really changed. So I would just take tiny portions for each item. I would share a bagel with my husband and only take one slice of pizza. I would even ask (if pressed to eat more) if I could take the bagels to go to freeze for later back home. This is actually how I discovered a yummy breakfast casserole we like: https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a57263/everything-bagel-casserole-recipe/
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    dechowj wrote: »
    This sounds just like my in-laws. My mother in law would show us how much she loved us by overloading us with "our favorites" when we came over. And would get offended if we didn't eat it all because then we didn't love her back. It took us a long time to slowly work on changing the habits.

My husband and I would start going overboard and praising the healthier items she made. So now she's marked the healthier dish as a favorite and makes it to make us happy. Also before each visit my husband will call a few times and say over and over "don't worry about the pizza or bagels, we are fine without that. What we would really love to do is make you guys these yummy omelets we've come to love." We made it about a positive we want to share the food we love kind of thing instead of a negative we don't eat that junk thing. But the food talk really did go over better coming from my husband. When it was me she wouldn't listen as well, haha.

I would also stop and get a fruit platter or veggie platter to bring over to have available for snacks. (I bring something everywhere because I feel bad showing up empty handed, I'm weird I know.) But after 3 times of bringing a fruit platter, now she buys one knowing we want that.

When we first started nothing really changed. So I would just take tiny portions for each item. I would share a bagel with my husband and only take one slice of pizza. I would even ask (if pressed to eat more) if I could take the bagels to go to freeze for later back home. This is actually how I discovered a yummy breakfast casserole we like: https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a57263/everything-bagel-casserole-recipe/

That is brilliant!!