Female Weight lifting for beginners

Options
Hi guys,

I really want to start weight lifting but I’m not sure how to start+ i feel intimidated in the weight room since it’s usually filled with experienced people.
Can anyone recommend any good resources/YT channels/guides etc. for female beginners?

Thanks!

Replies

• Amwa77
    Amwa77 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Just remember every one has to start somewhere :) Most people in the weight room have no problem answering a question or helping with form. There is a lot of info out there but stick to basics and then add the fluff that feels right for you...Bodybuilding.com has some good info and knowgains on Instagram is great at keeping it basic. Just the fact you want to lift is fantastic! Good luck on your journey!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I bought a book called Strength Training for Women by Joan Pagano. The book has a lot to recommend it:
    • Multiple exercises for each muscle group, ranked in order of difficulty
    • Each exercise has three levels to progress through (more on this in the cons, though; it's kind of a double-edged sword)
    • Back of the book has three full-body strength training routines and 4 15-minute weights-and-cardio workouts
    • Plenty of full-color photos, good instructions, and tips about common form errors, which exercises might be dangerous or beneficial for certain conditions, like low-back pain
    • Most equipment is inexpensive. We're talking dumbbells, a mat, a stability ball, and a cardio step for the most part. I personally do a few exercises involving a weighted pilates ball and a resistance band. She does mention a few exercises you can do with weight machines at the gym. If you don't have the equipment to do one exercise, it's almost guaranteed that you'll find another exercise for that body part that doesn't need it.

There's one major drawback.
    • I mentioned above that each exercise has three levels. A typical training plan might look like this: Level 1/3lb dumbells/10 reps/1-2 sets; Level 2/5-8lb dumbbells/12-15 reps/1-2 sets; Level 3/8-12lb dumbbells/8-12 reps/1-3 sets. And then....? No further info. Buried near the back of the book in a Q&A, she tells you that you can keep on adding weights, sets, and reps, but someone who's not reading the book cover to cover but just flipping through for exercises might be excused for thinking, "I guess I shouldn't lift more than 12 lbs..." Actually, if you can handle it, you absolutely should.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I started with Strong Lifts 5x5, but would probably recommend Starting Strength because it has better accessories. :)

Just get in there and do it. You have as much right to be there as anyone else. I used to go during less busy times until I felt like I had a better idea of what I was doing.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I would consider myself a somewhat seasoned lifter but I’m still always learning about lifts and exercises. I’d suggest finding a good program (StrongLifts, Strong Curves) and use YouTube to look up the movements. You could always hire a trainer to show you some basic stuff too!
  • izzyoramah920
    izzyoramah920 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I started with Strong Lifts 5x5, but would probably recommend Starting Strength because it has better accessories. :)

Just get in there and do it. You have as much right to be there as anyone else. I used to go during less busy times until I felt like I had a better idea of what I was doing.

Thanks so much! I’ll look it up. And yeah, if I want to see results i need to just get over my anxieties.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    There are programs you can do at home with a small amount of equipment if that's more comfortable for you. If you want to use the gym, ask a staff member for orientation to the equipment and consider hiring a personal trainer or group class for a few sessions.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Strong Curves has a bodyweight version you can do at home with minimal equipment. 😊
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I used the New Rules of Lifting's Strong book. It is a good beginner program, but you have to buy a book. There are other free programs that are good too.

https://www.amazon.com/Strong-Workout-Programs-Metabolism-Strength/dp/0399573437/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1550712229&sr=8-8&keywords=new+rules+of+lifting
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I like the workouts in Rachel Cosgrove’s “Female Body Breakthrough.” I ignore the nutrition stuff, and just use the book for the strength training plan. Ask an employee at your gym if you can get training for free weights. Most gyms provide that free of cost so you don’t hurt yourself. That might make you feel less intimidated. I did that the first time I used a weight training book several years ago. After the first phase of the program I felt confident enough to learn new exercises on my own without further training.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I’m a vote for Strong Curves or New Rules of Lifting (for Women, or really any of them). I started with New Rules of Lifting for Women as a total newbie to weight lifting and I really appreciated the explanations (& the results!). I’ve done a number of Bodybuilding.com programs too, and am doing Strong Curves now.
  • tipsymoth
    tipsymoth Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath and just go for it. I go to a gym that felt really intimidating and seriously the hardest bit of all was walking through the door the first time. I was scared it would be full of beautiful people and massive muscle bound men. It is. (There are bikini body competitors, power lifters and strong men all together as well as plenty of middle aged mothers like me!) And they are busy getting on with their workout, and not judging me like I thought they might, but will help me get set up when I need it. And we’ll share a joke about the rubbish music.

It’s not intimidating. It’s a community of people with a common goal. Just do it if you want to, but certainly booking a trainer to get you started is wise.

Good luck!