Some Intake of Sweets but Calorie Deficit = Weight Loss?

Options
ItsMeDua
ItsMeDua Posts: 14 Member
edited February 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello everybody! If any, could you’ll share weight loss experiences that you’ll had despite consuming sweets every now and then?

Replies

• ItsMeDua
    ItsMeDua Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    That’s awesome, thank you 😊
    Maxematics wrote: »
    Hi. When I first started losing weight, I'll admit that I avoided sweets like the plague. My "sweets" were fruit, chocolate protein shakes, or a square of 99% dark chocolate. After I lost 15 pounds in two months, I eventually added things back into my diet, including sweets, and kept losing. It's been four years since I lost weight and I've been happily maintaining my weight at 113 to 117 pounds. These four years have included cupcakes, cake, brownies, doughnuts, etc.

I can completely understand thinking that sweets will hinder weight loss; after all, they tend to be high in calories. As long as you're eating them in moderation and sticking to your calorie goals, you will lose weight. Weight loss doesn't require giving up everything you love and spending your days eating bland food. I wish you the best of luck!

• gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I’ve lost 84 pounds, and while I’ve made huge changes in my eating habits (cooking at home way more, cutting way back on portions, planning meals and snacks in advance), I still make tons of room in my food diary for sweet stuff, namely dark chocolate and peanut butter, or Christmas cookies, or Halloween candy, etc.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    This past Sunday and Monday, about half of my calories were from cookies and cheesecake. I was still within my calorie goal and my weight is fine.
    I don't usually eat mostly cookies, and it's not the best idea from a nutrition standpoint, obviously, but if you want sweets you can work them into your calories. :)
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I shared a Bourbon Cake with vanilla bean ice cream with my husband yesterday. Delicious!

So far I've lost 30 pounds. When I want a sweet treat I have one. I just watch my portion sizes.
  • Laney_7
    Laney_7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    55 lb lost, with a 100-calorie portion of dark chocolate or cookies whenever I could save up the calories. I probably have sweets 2-3 days a week.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I ate sweets just about every day when I was losing weight. I like to have something sweet at the end of my lunch and most days I was able to fit it into my calories.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I ate sweets aka chocolate every single day when losing and now in maintenance. I factor in approx 200 cals per day for whatever I fancy :smiley: it's all about the deficit.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,569 Member
    Options
    I eat two chocolate wafer bars every day. That's a whopping 260kcal of sweat stuff :D No problem though as the one during work keeps me going much better than veggies or other things in the afternoon, and the one after dinner is just indulgence.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    ItsMeDua wrote: »
    Hello everybody! If any, could you’ll share weight loss experiences that you’ll had despite consuming sweets every now and then?

Chocolate chip cookies - almost every day. An occasional Coca Cola with a burger or pizza (because what's a better drink than that with those things?), but not always.

Drizzle a teaspoon of sugar (15 kcal) on a bowl of strawberries.

Still lost my original 48 pounds with those regularly a part of my way of eating.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Dry cereal (I like the kind that's a little sweet, like Krave or Corn Squares, not the sugar-frosted with marshmallows). I have an ice cream treat almost daily. Chapman's makes these frozen yogurt sandwiches for 130 calories each. I keep my homemade desserts to 200 calories or fewer per serving. Some are more nutritious, like the apple-pear sauce I made last week at 143 calories per serving. Some are just a small portion of rich decadence, like the vanilla cookies I'm making this week at 90 calories per cookie. It varies. Fiber One bars are good options, too.

ETA: I've dropped 108 lbs this way and closing on the last 10.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I ate all sorts of treats (I tend more towards fried foods than sweets, though) when I was losing weight and then in maintenance. Its the calories that matter for weight loss, as many have said.

The biggest caveat is many sweet treats can be calories dense and can easily make you go over your deficit. And everyone goes over once in a while. Lots of folks will create a little extra room by saving a few daily calories when they know they have a special event comping up, or they eat smaller portions of their favorites, or they find substitutes that fill their needs.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I consume sweets frequently, and as long as I am in a calorie deficit, I lose weight despite the substance of my diet.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I try really hard not to eliminate anything completely - that just makes you miserable - it's learning moderation and/or how to substitute. As long as you burn more than you eat - you can do it.

So either figure out how to burn it off, or make it fit into your calories. ie. 1 cup strawberries/2 Tbs Light Cool Whip/1Tbs Choc syrup - pretty tasty - about 150 calories - or a small serving of ice cream about 110 - Hershey kisses - 22 cal a piece. I do the same to get my glass of wine, or whatever I want to indulge on.