Anyone doing this to heal their leaky gut?

Options
2»

Replies

• 4Pop
    4Pop Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    For whoever chose to call BS:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2898551/
    Glutamine

Glutamine is presently the best known compound for reducing IP, and nutritional depletion is known to result in increased IP.103–106 Major abnormalities in IP have been demonstrated in glutamine-deprived rat pups.107 Furthermore, glutamine has been shown to maintain transepithelial resistance and to reduce permeability in intestinal cell culture monolayers.108 In addition, glutamine supplementation has been shown to increase intestinal barrier function in malnourished children.109 However, glutamine has no effect if administered parenterally to depleted patients.110 Glutamine is the preferential substrate for enterocytes, and it works in concert with other amino acids, such as leucine and arginine, to maintain integrity and function.111 Several studies have demonstrated the beneficial effects of glutamine on IP. For example, improvements in the intestinal barrier have been shown in experimental biliary obstruction,112 after ischemia/reperfusion113 and even in severe clinical situations, such as in critically ill patients, in whom glutamine lowered the frequency of infections114 following abdominal surgery.115 Furthermore, in IBD treatment, the use glutamine alone or in combination with other amino acids is considered promising.116 In low birth weight children, allergies were improved by glutamine treatment during the first year of life.117 These non-nutritive effects of glutamine have recently been reviewed,118 and these effects have been ascribed to the antioxidant properties of glutamine and the enhanced expression of heat shock proteins.119

More: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4369670/

Role of Glutamine in Protection of Intestinal Epithelial Tight Junctions
  • kellyahanley
    kellyahanley Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Saorn wrote: »
    I've lived with Psoriasis for over 30 years. When I was in my 20's it was pretty severe and covered most of my body, as I've gotten older it has been slowly disappearing, now mostly only on my arms. For me no changes in my diet has seemed to make any difference. What has seemed to make the most difference was quitting smoking, ever since I've stopped smoking it's been slowly disappearing, this has taken years. I haven't been a smoker in about 17 years now.

Personally I do not use any of the medications available via prescription or OTC. The side effects don't seem worth it IMHO. Most of the topicals contain some type of steroid and work by thinning your skin which can and will most likely give you stretch marks, I have some from when my Doctor had me using them. The ingestible medications at the time were far more harmful and will not only attack the Psoriasis but your internal organs. They required frequent blood tests to monitor the internal damage that is occurring. I have also been given UVB treatments, those seemed to work the best, but those were costing abut $200 a month and I can get the same results by just spending time in the sun. However, this can also result in skin cancer. This was a number of years ago, I have not tried any of the newer medications that have come on the market and frankly never intend to. The risks for any treatment type just aren't worth it to me.

Most of the time I forget I even have it since it's purely a cosmetic issue in my life. I honestly will almost completely forget I have it until some "helpful" person points it out and tells me they have the "cure".

I wish you the best of luck in your change of lifestyle and hope it gives you the results you are looking for.

I don't use steroids. I can't take biologics due to a cancer history. I control my psoriasis through diet and taking an oral form of retin A called Acitretin which isn't as hard on your liver and doesn't require blood tests. I passed on UVB also.. I have never smoked. you are correct - steroids are horrible.
  • atgnat1
    atgnat1 Posts: 29 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    4Pop wrote: »
    Again, show where I stated it did?

Why are you posting links to random products if not in response to the topic then? Maybe that's where the confusion came in. It would help if you explained what your intention was.