Keto and Muscle Gain & Strength Training

Options
Hi I am hoping for some guidance. I currently and following a keto diet (for the antiflamatory benefits). 5/70/25 macros. I am 5'1" female at 24.2% body fat and fluctuate between 113 and 115 lbs. I am looking to gain strenght and muscle mass to complete a tough mudder in June. I track my calories religiously with a scale in grams and ensure I get between 60-70g of protein a day. I am still at a 250 calorie deficit and use my fitbit to calculate my daily burn. That gives me a calorie intake between 1200 to 1400 calories a day. I recently changed to cardio x2 a week and weight lifting at 70% 1rm four days a week (2 days legs 2 days arms and back). 2 days I do yoga and pilates. Basically I am wondering if this change up in exercise is getting sustained by my diet intake. I am feeling extremely wiped out the day after I workout, more then just sore muscles, but sleepy tired. Should I still sustain a calorie deficit. Loosely my goal is about 20% body fat and I really don't care my weight. I am not overweight by any means and carry all my fat stores in the typical female places, thighs and butt. I just want to make sure I am on the right path here since i have never tried to gain muscle before. Thank you so much for reading this.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Have you been dieting for awhile? Considering how active you are, I would be actually surprised that your maintenance is that low. I suspect if you have been dieting for awhile, it might be worth taking a diet break just to see if you can regular any hormone adjustments cased by dieting. I would put protein closer to 100g or a bit more. Also, what lifting program are you following? And one thing to consider, is to time your carbs around your training (more TKD) or even bump carbs up to 40-50g. You should still be in ketosis, if that matters to you, but the additional carbs can help with recovery.

• jarpan
    jarpan Posts: 12 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I have maintained my weight between 122 and 113 for the last 18 years. I started keto at the weight of 121.6 six weeks ago. I have a fat loss percentage of about 2%. I can up the protein closer to 100g and even bump or save up my carbs closer to when I workout if I do not have the calorie deficit. Should I eat the carbs before or after I workout? I have been drinking a collagen protein/ yogurt shake afterward if that makes a difference. I also supplement my electrolytes and drink about 60oz of water a day, I am trying to bump it up to 90oz. I am just concerned if I will have the fat loss if I don't have the deficit. Also here is a weekly schedule of my workouts. I don't do a program. I primarily do leg machines right now (since I can't maintain proper form for multiple reps) and use free weights for arms and back. My typical routine is 10 reps for 3 sets. I don't know if I care much about being in ketosis. I started it for the anti-inflammatory benefits and supposed energy levels, I have major gut problems, diagnosed IBS and leaky gut syndrome.

Saturday - Legs & Cardio
    Sunday - Arms
    Monday - Pilates & Yoga
    Tuesday- Legs
    Wednesday- Arms
    Thursday- Yoga & Cardio
    Friday- Rest

Legs- (Mostly Machines) (10/3)
    leg press
    Leg extension machine
    Inner thigh machine
    Outer thigh machine
    Kettle Ball Hamstring
    Box Jumps
    Squats

Arms and Back- Free Weights (10/3)
    Barbell Curl
    Dumbbell Overhead Triceps extension
    Lateral dumbbell raise
    Dumbbell Row
    Overhead Press
  • Illicitlitmisfit
    Illicitlitmisfit Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am also trying to do keto, at a calorie intake of 1200! I do cardio everyday ( for this week at least ) to blast away fat I sadly gained from a week long binging frenzy. I am going from 130 to 120 lbs and am 5'3". I'm finding it so hard to reach my goals of having my macros be 20% carb with 40% protein and fat. I can't escape these carbs everywhere!!! I need to talk to people with this type of food experience to tell me options of meals for such macros. >,< Once I reach 120 I will similarly be focusing on strength and gaining muscle mass once again, as I was doing before things got depressive. I am doing a bit now ofc, but it's half assed strength training, with 100 pushups, 200 squats and 300 ab moves a day typa thing, just to make sure all this cardio isn't leaning my muscles too much... anyways frankly I'm struggling and would love like minded and like bodied (? Lol) people to talk with stuff like this, as well as supporting and motivating eachother❣️
  • jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    You should revisit and increase your calorie intake.
  • jarpan
    Options
    My calorie intake is figured out my Fitbit. I know it sounds really low but I am really short and petite. My BMR is only 1100 calories a day. Super jealous of those of you out there that can eat 2k a day and still be at a deficit!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    jarpan wrote: »
    I have maintained my weight between 122 and 113 for the last 18 years. I started keto at the weight of 121.6 six weeks ago. I have a fat loss percentage of about 2%. I can up the protein closer to 100g and even bump or save up my carbs closer to when I workout if I do not have the calorie deficit. Should I eat the carbs before or after I workout? I have been drinking a collagen protein/ yogurt shake afterward if that makes a difference. I also supplement my electrolytes and drink about 60oz of water a day, I am trying to bump it up to 90oz. I am just concerned if I will have the fat loss if I don't have the deficit. Also here is a weekly schedule of my workouts. I don't do a program. I primarily do leg machines right now (since I can't maintain proper form for multiple reps) and use free weights for arms and back. My typical routine is 10 reps for 3 sets. I don't know if I care much about being in ketosis. I started it for the anti-inflammatory benefits and supposed energy levels, I have major gut problems, diagnosed IBS and leaky gut syndrome.

Saturday - Legs & Cardio
    Sunday - Arms
    Monday - Pilates & Yoga
    Tuesday- Legs
    Wednesday- Arms
    Thursday- Yoga & Cardio
    Friday- Rest

leg press
    Leg extension machine
    Inner thigh machine
    Outer thigh machine
    Kettle Ball Hamstring
    Box Jumps
    Squats

Barbell Curl
    Lateral dumbbell raise
    Dumbbell Row
    Overhead Press

I think one of your biggest issues is your program. It doesn't include any of the bigger lifts and its quite unbalanced. So one of the first changes would be to get on something structured. See link below. A lot of women tend to gravitate towards StrongCurves but Thinner Leaner Stronger is a good format too.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Second, taking a diet break can be highly beneficial and its not long term. Its a controlled break where you eat at maintenance for 2 weeks.

Also, chronic inflammation can be very individualized, especially when it comes to IBS. The bigger question is whether or not you are under the care of your physican? Between medication and finding trigger foods, it can help maintain that condition. In general terms, weight loss and nutrient dense foods reduce chronic inflammation.

Next, when did the exhaustion begin? Was it around the same time as going keto? I ask because of the little evidence available, there is huge variation in performance when it comes to keto. Its possible that keto is having an adverse effects or inhibiting recovery. Or its possible its not.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Hello! I am also trying to do keto, at a calorie intake of 1200! I do cardio everyday ( for this week at least ) to blast away fat I sadly gained from a week long binging frenzy. I am going from 130 to 120 lbs and am 5'3". I'm finding it so hard to reach my goals of having my macros be 20% carb with 40% protein and fat. I can't escape these carbs everywhere!!! I need to talk to people with this type of food experience to tell me options of meals for such macros. >,< Once I reach 120 I will similarly be focusing on strength and gaining muscle mass once again, as I was doing before things got depressive. I am doing a bit now ofc, but it's half assed strength training, with 100 pushups, 200 squats and 300 ab moves a day typa thing, just to make sure all this cardio isn't leaning my muscles too much... anyways frankly I'm struggling and would love like minded and like bodied (? Lol) people to talk with stuff like this, as well as supporting and motivating eachother❣️

I'd recommend that you focus a bit more on resistance training now. By doing so, you will improve body composition which will give you a better look and aesthetic. Doing a bunch of cardio rarely yields the results people want.
  • jarpan
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    jarpan wrote: »

Saturday - Legs & Cardio
    Sunday - Arms
    Monday - Pilates & Yoga
    Tuesday- Legs
    Wednesday- Arms
    Thursday- Yoga & Cardio
    Friday- Rest

leg press
    Leg extension machine
    Inner thigh machine
    Outer thigh machine
    Kettle Ball Hamstring
    Box Jumps
    Squats

Barbell Curl
    Lateral dumbbell raise
    Dumbbell Row
    Overhead Press

I think one of your biggest issues is your program. It doesn't include any of the bigger lifts and its quite unbalanced. So one of the first changes would be to get on something structured. See link below. A lot of women tend to gravitate towards StrongCurves but Thinner Leaner Stronger is a good format too.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Second, taking a diet break can be highly beneficial and its not long term. Its a controlled break where you eat at maintenance for 2 weeks.

Also, chronic inflammation can be very individualized, especially when it comes to IBS. The bigger question is whether or not you are under the care of your physican? Between medication and finding trigger foods, it can help maintain that condition. In general terms, weight loss and nutrient dense foods reduce chronic inflammation.

Next, when did the exhaustion begin? Was it around the same time as going keto? I ask because of the little evidence available, there is huge variation in performance when it comes to keto. Its possible that keto is having an adverse effects or inhibiting recovery. Or its possible its not.

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely eliminate the calorie deficit for 2 weeks. If I don't feel better, I will stop Keto and go back to a whole foods anti-inflammatory diet. I will also look into a more structured routine in the next few weeks as well. I will continue to weight train now to build my capabilities to be able to maintain a more structured program. I can implement that in the next two weeks or so, after I see what the increase in calories does. Thanks for the advice.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    You may also want to consider watching this video too

https://youtu.be/xaAFKZ51Rw4

• keonwlsn
    keonwlsn Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Great advice very nice I have been seeing lots of people starting this keto try bodybuilding.com as well very supportive and have great meal plans and routines.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    You didn’t mention how much sleep you are getting. When I am already fairly lean and start cutting to get even leaner, my sleep needs go up exponentially. I need a min of 8hrs sleep a day when in a deficit. 9-10 optimal.