Compliments and Motivation - What happens when you hit your goal?

Options
I have been obsessed a great deal of my life with weight loss. I lose weight and people compliment me on how great I look. When a person hits their goal weight and part of their motivation has come from others complimenting them along the way; where do you get your inspiration to continue when the compliments stop and you just become a normal weight person? My concern is that I will gain again, just so I can lose again and get the attention. How do you stay motivated?

Replies

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,995 Member
    Options
    Focus on health metrics. 😁
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I can't state currently (since I still have a ways to go), but before I put on the weight I got plenty of compliments on my size - or off handed comments, that maybe weren't meant as compliments, but that's how they felt to me (such as, "you're the smallest person here, you get to sit in the middle").

If anything I see FAR less comments now (as I'm losing) than I did before I put on the weight. Sure, the occasional one, but not like I used to hear.

While that should never be our reason for taking care of our bodies, it can be the reason behind a few vanity pounds, and in my experience, there was a lot more positive to hear at my ideal weight than I have ever heard while losing.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way, I have lost weight before and loved the compliments. Now I recently lost weight and compliments are coming but I know they will quit. I guess I will just love fitting in my clothes!
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    I like pulling my sagging pants up rather than fretting if they’re going to rip or suffocate my trunk.
  • JaiNicole7
    JaiNicole7 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I lost 35 lbs this past spring and summer, and loved all the compliments I was getting, and it was pretty motivating for awhile. I have since gained the weight back because I stopped logging, using portion control, and even exercising too. Of course the compliments dwindled. I am now restarting, but my main focus is to love the skin I'm in (cliche, I know). But from that viewpoint I'd say make new goals for yourself and your body. Do you want to build a better physique? Weight loss alone doesn't guarantee that. You could work on body composition and increasing muscle mass. If compliments from others is a motivator for you I'm sure that would get you some. It would also help keep the weight off, and keep you looking and feeling younger for longer. I frequently get compliments on appearing younger than my age. (I don't lift but I'm planning on it.) & I feel like people who lift usually look younger longer.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    What happens when you hit your goal? My answer based on just arriving there this week is to continue doing what I did to get there. This is the third time in my middle-aged man life when I've had to work to get back down to where I belong. Now, at age 64, I swear up and down a stack of bibles that it ain't going to happen again. Too much work going to Army boot camp to chisel back down. Better to do as I've recently done than to do what I've done in the past. Your mileage may vary.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    once i get to goal weight i'll be doing recomp. i want muscle tone to preserve my hourglass shape
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    As far as compliments go, I enjoy the "man, you've been working out" variety far more than I did the weight loss kind. However, that's not the driver, continuing to improve my strength and my appearance is. I'm stronger and have better aesthetics at 29 than I did at 19 and I'm committed to keeping that trend going.