4 ounces of chicken

Options
I buy frozen chicken the 99% fat free kind. How many pieces equal the 4 ounce serving size??? Two?

Replies

• leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    how big is the package? divide the weight by the number of pieces to get an idea of how much each piece roughly weighs.

or to be more accurate, just weigh it until you get 4 ounces. not all chicken is the same.
  • Fgillies
    Fgillies Posts: 194
    Options
    Is it frozen chicken breast? Or frozen chicken tenders, I find the tenders to be about 1-2 ounces a piece, and the breasts 3-4 ounces a piece ( after cooking) Do you have a scale, I would highly reccomend getting one if not, they are great :)
  • Talieowl
    Talieowl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    We really need more information than that to tell how many pieces equal 4 oz. Are you buying a whole chicken or breasts or thighs? How much does the package say is in it--as in ounces. Take the total weight of the package (in oz.) and divide by four. That will tell you how many servings are in it and from there you can determine whether you need 1/2 piece, 1 piece, 2 pieces, 1 1/2 pieces to equal four oz.
  • calabrdm
    calabrdm Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Is it frozen chicken breast? Or frozen chicken tenders, I find the tenders to be about 1-2 ounces a piece, and the breasts 3-4 ounces a piece ( after cooking) Do you have a scale, I would highly reccomend getting one if not, they are great :)

Frozen. Thanks for the help!
  • calabrdm
    calabrdm Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    We really need more information than that to tell how many pieces equal 4 oz. Are you buying a whole chicken or breasts or thighs? How much does the package say is in it--as in ounces. Take the total weight of the package (in oz.) and divide by four. That will tell you how many servings are in it and from there you can determine whether you need 1/2 piece, 1 piece, 2 pieces, 1 1/2 pieces to equal four oz.
    [/quote

They are the frozen chicken breasts that look like the size of a small cereal bar.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Another vote for buying a scale. After you have used it for a while you will be able to judge them very well. I buy most of my chicken from Costco now and some of the fresh ones weigh up to 8oz. I have also bought a lot of bought frozen Lilydale chicken breasts that are consistently 3-4oz.
  • multilingualjodi
    Options
    I'm wondering the same thing with Tyson uncooked chicken wings. It says 4 oz is 220 cals. So how many wings would that be? They look small so I'm guessing 4.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale. I buy bags of frozen chicken breast and no matter what store they're from I have NEVER gotten one that is 4oz/113g. They are always more, usually around the 200g mark, sometimes more.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    This thread is from 6 years ago. Haha. Let’s hope she’s figured it out by now. 😉
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Amie_Girl wrote: »
    Most chicken breasts are 4oz.

Not sure where you are, maybe it's just like this in the US...

I buy single boneless/skinless breasts from the meat counter at my grocery store weekly. They are NEVER that small. They can easily be over 0.7 lbs. (11.2 oz. or 318g) but are usually a little over 8 ounces. And that's with me asking them for a smaller one.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Mslmesq wrote: »
    This thread is from 6 years ago. Haha. Let’s hope she’s figured it out by now. 😉

That was the first time it got necro'ed, lol. It's actually from 8 years ago. xD
  • atgnat1
    atgnat1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    How do these threads keep getting dug up? Seems like it's been happening a lot.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    atgnat1 wrote: »
    How do these threads keep getting dug up? Seems like it's been happening a lot.

Someone was wondering the same thing and did a search.

On other forums necroing a thread is frowned upon, but it is not against the rules here, and "attacking a member for posting in an older discussion" is actually against the rules https://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering the same thing with Tyson uncooked chicken wings. It says 4 oz is 220 cals. So how many wings would that be? They look small so I'm guessing 4.

You would need to get a food scale...weigh the wings, eat, and weigh the remaining bones and the difference would be the weight of the edible portion.