Oversimplifying TDEE

Options
If you plug your age and height and DESIRED goal weight into a TDEE calculator theoretically, so long as you stay at or under that caloric number, won't you achieve that goal weight (eventually)? I guess the only thing that is missing is how long it would take with this methodology. I am sure it is more complex than this but someone will have to explain to me how/why because this just seems like straight logic to me.

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    I had some issues successfully using the MFP math when it came to exercise calories so I switched to more of a Target = TDEE - deficit strategy and feel like I have better process control with fewer variables at play.

Theoretically, eating for your goal TDEE should work, assuming your goal weight and TDEE estimation are appropriate. Overall, this is likely going to take longer than following the suggested deficit guidelines would. The difference between my TDEE at current weight (175lbs) vs. +50lbs is only about 300 calories, and only get smaller as weight is lost.

commonly suggested loss rates poached from another thread:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal (-1000 calories/day)
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal (-750)
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb/week is ideal (-500)
    If you have 15-25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lb/week is ideal (-250 to -500)
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lb/week is ideal (-250)

By following the process you suggested, by the time you get to 15lbs over goal weight, you could easily have a deficit <100 cal/day which will make those last few lbs come off very slowly.

• stryker520
    stryker520 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. This makes sense. In theory the logic is correct but the duration would be exhausting; especially as you get closer to goal weight.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    I think - pick one way or the other. Stick with it till it doesn't work any more. Keep good records. With knowledge comes power.

I lost my first 30-40 pounds at a pretty low calorie goal. I was obese when I started. Then I added 400 calories or so which put me at about 1600 (without exercise, I used MFP's method of eating more on exercise days.) It turns out (after ten years in Maintenance) that 1600 is way too low now at my goal weight - even though the calculators actually put me at 1500 to maintain. I maintain at 2000 PLUS exercise calories.

Keep good records. The calculators are just guessing. Your numbers will be your most valuable tool.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I think this calculator would tell you how long it would take?

http://www.weightloss-calculator.net
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    stryker520 wrote: »
    Thanks for the input. This makes sense. In theory the logic is correct but the duration would be exhausting; especially as you get closer to goal weight.

On the other hand, one MFP user grew exhausted with her deficit as she neared goal, so she just started eating at goal TDEE and stopped worrying about how long it would take. She felt better and it made maintenance an easy transition. It was a great strategy for her.