Maintaining Weight vs Body Recomp

Options
godlessandglittery
godlessandglittery Posts: 4 Member
edited February 2019 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
Hello! My stats are 163lbs, 5’9”, age 29, 19% BF (for the sake of context).

After reading so many maintaining posts, I think I’ve gotten myself pretty confused. I have a few questions. Because I’m now in a body recomp mode, after setting the tool from Lose Weight to Maintain Weight, should I also be eating back the calories I’m burning in exercise *in addition to* my BMR? Or should I only be eating the BMR it gives me? Does it mostly come down to manipulating macros towards more protein/fewer carbs? I just feel so lost.

(My goal is 16% BF, but I’m indifferent as to if I stay 163 lbs or end up dropping some weight with the fat loss.)

TIA for any advice.

Replies

• Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    MFP is set up for you to eat back your exercise calories. Maintaining weight happens when you eat the same number of calories on average that you are burning in a day. Recomp only happens if you are doing strength training to build muscle while maintaining your current weight. It is also VERY slow progress.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yes your calorie goal on here means nnnn plus exercise calories, it's only nnnn on a day with no exercise.

BMR is only used as the start point for the calculations (it's calculated from the stats you enter), it's then multiplied by your activity setting and exercise calories are then on top of that to come up with your maintenance goal.

You can fine tune your daily goal manually if you find the numbers given don't result in you staying in your chosen maintenance range over an extended period of time.