Food that "takes a while to eat"

Options
I must have this psychological thing where I feel fuller and more satisified if I am eating something that doesn't just disapear right away. For example- Pistacios- They take a while to open each shell. Italian ice cups- takes a while to scrape out. Tootsie pops if I need a sweet because they take a while. Any other suggestions for this kind of thing? Things that force you to eat it slowly and make it last.

Replies

• astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Crab Legs, no butter :) LOOOOOOVE
  • sixxx
    sixxx Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Submarine sandwiches! I eat them layer by layer (bread first, lettuce, cheese, mushrooms, cucumbers...) it takes a long while and I get full pretty fast!
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    Frozen chocolate.... suck on it until it melts & dissapears! ;)
    Usually only a few pieces and I am good! :D
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Apples take a long time to chew for me. I second crab legs!
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    mudbugs = lots of work, very little meat. but it's so tasty and so worth it.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Have you noticed if you eat slower in general (ie with all foods) you will feel more full with less food?
  • arsenal45
    arsenal45 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    POMEGRANATE?
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Muesli (home made of course!)
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    mudbugs = lots of work, very little meat. but it's so tasty and so worth it.

I second mudbugs and crab legs.
  • kimcatania
    Options
    Pomegranite! Yah! Almost forgot about those. That season is right around the corner!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Carrots
    Celery
    ... anything considered "roughage"

I have made salads that take me an hour to eat - but were under 300 calories
  • jilljuly
    jilljuly Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    These are all great suggestions - I don't have anything immediate to add except that things in shells or otherwise still in their original nature-made packaging are all good! As the other posters have said. Just wanted to say that you are not alone with your "psychological thing," I think most of us have this. We live in a society that has made eating a lot more convenient and simple (just think about pineapple in a plastic container from the deli, or store-brought bread for that matter) - labor saving, certainly, but look where it has gotten us in terms of health. The easier it is to eat, the more a person will eat. Any person.

Bottom line, those of us concerned about health have to fight back against the trends of food manufacturers and grocery stores in this way. (Not unlike the issues with portion size.) We have to set up an environment around us that makes health easy, not eating easy.

Best of luck - and thanks for posting the question!

(P.S. I also like artichokes but of course you have to dip them in something other than butter or mayo ...)
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    artichokes and pomagranite...yummy! I eat the artichoke plain and still loves it NOMS
  • londoneye
    londoneye Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Asian food.... using chopsticks! (unless you're a chopstick wizz, of course)

I also sometimes eat stuff like porridge or greek yog with a teaspoon to make it last longer...
  • MeAgain2011
    MeAgain2011 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Edamame! I get a side of 'em when I have sushi so I can slow things down since hundreds of calories of sushi can disappear in six bites of your standard maki.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I love to pour out a serving of low sugar breakfast cereal and eat each piece one by one; no milk. It takes me a really long time to eat 100 calories.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Dry Cheerios... also I like to slice my fruit into really thin slices so that I can make a large apple fill a sandwich bag. It makes it last so long and it also is good for watching movies or late evening when you want chips or something. :P
  • kimcatania
    Options
    I love to pour out a serving of low sugar breakfast cereal and eat each piece one by one; no milk. It takes me a really long time to eat 100 calories.

Love this idea!!
  • greensnow
    Options
    Love this! I am exactly the same.
    Some of my favourite 'fixes' are:

Edamame beans
    Sugar snap peas - I open the pod and eat the peas one by one lol
    Frozen berries- I suck on them as they defrost in my mouth
    Corn on the cob- I pick each little bit of corn one by one, I think I'm going to have this for dinner tonight actually.

The longer food takes me to eat the less I eat!
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    frozen berries in greek yogurt, it's too cold to eat fast and as the fruit thaws the juice mixes into the yogurt... it's a yummy sweet treat!