Chinese Buffet

Options
2»

Replies

• DaveyGravy
    DaveyGravy Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My philosophy is...just enjoy yourself. One large fatty meal isn't going to make you fall off the wagon and want to go back to your old lifestyle. Nor is it going to make you pile pounds of fat on. It's a one-off. A treat. You don't want to be there saying no to everything do you? It's your call but that's how I tend to think about things.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of Chinese food dishes in MFP so you can log them i.e. Chinese Garlic and Broccoli.

The Mandarin in Canada is a phenomenal buffet so when I go I fill up on tossed salad (I often bring my own dressing), lots and lots of watermelon and pineapple slices, garlic broccoli, chicken breast right from the grill no sauce/oil and then massive amounts of vegetarian sushi like cucumber and avocado, nothing fried/tempura. Just remember, chicken balls really aren’t that good and you will be much more full if you choose grilled chicken breast, salmon and other goodies like that

I walk away stuffed and have consumed about 800-1100 or so cals and I would usually enjoy this on a Saturday where I just have a small breakfast before spinning and then dinner.

But really, treat meal is the way to go. Workout for 1 hour plus today and don’t weight yourself tomorrow b/c the sodium will probably wreak temporary havoc on your body so just don’t look b/c you didn’t actually eat 10,000 extra cals to gain those extra 3 lbs.
  • army_cobra
    army_cobra Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Use as your cheat day if all possible. It is hard to eat healthy at those places.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I would say that you are probably going over. Just try not to blow it, and enjoy yourself! Choose some good meat, lots of veggies and little bit of steamed rice. Our Chinese Buffet also has a sushi section, and grilled meat (the chicken should be pretty low)! The wonton soup is also pretty low, but higher in sodium. Try jello or fruit for dessert if it is an option...

Good Luck! ;)

I totally knew you were talking about the Mandarin when I read your post and yup, you're from KW! I've been to that Mandarin while on work seminars for the week actually. Nothing beats a Sangria made in a Chinese restaurant and when the company is paying, even better! ;)
  • monicanicoletta
    monicanicoletta Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be soup ...either wonton or hot & sour..and just fill up on that and if u want have a little portion of beef and brocoli or steamed something.

Soups will be high in sodium but just chug the water all day..calorie wise they are quite good!!
  • MamaKatel
    MamaKatel Posts: 180
    Options
    Theres a chinese buffet near my house that also had a hibachi grill..u can basically get your own ingredients (they have a full line up of different meats, veggies, and white rice)... i pile my plate with zuchini, beans, carrots, brocolli, onions, mushrooms...add a handful of shrimp and/or chicken... 1 spoonful (usually about a 1/2 cup) of white rice and have them put it on the grill with a little sriracha (a korean hot sauce) and some soy sauce and usually get them to add a dash of teriyaki and sesame seeds...its SO yummy and usually the people with me end up forgoing the buffet and following my lead and getting their own personalized meals made on the hibachi grill... if not- id prob go for their chicken and brocolli or their "pepper chicken" (ones you can tell dont have breading) and a little white rice and their mixed vegetebles... but ure right, usually its all loaded with junk. just try to avoid the ones that are smothered in sauce and deep fried :)

That hibachi grill does sound really good! I may be taking that route :)
  • MamaKatel
    MamaKatel Posts: 180
    Options
    My suggestion would be soup ...either wonton or hot & sour..and just fill up on that and if u want have a little portion of beef and brocoli or steamed something.

Soups will be high in sodium but just chug the water all day..calorie wise they are quite good!!

Yeah, i'm going to try and drink a ton of water today before I go to counter act all that sodium!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    If you don't know how to use them, eat with chopsticks. The less you can pick up the less you can eat. But if it were me, I'd just eat one plate and be done.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    i guess you have to just eat a small portion of any chinese dish even wonton soups. also beware of the sodium content of these chinese restos as they are known to be notorious for putting high amounts of MSG into their foods which why its very tasteful but you will feel bloated easily.
  • evroptmstc
    evroptmstc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    On my way to a Chinese buffet; great comments but particularly enjoyed Chinese buffet=kryptonite. Thanks for posting the tips.