Preventing Depression

Options

Replies

• stutba
    stutba Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Running brought me out. Exercise is a miracle drug!
    “Warning” this drug can be highly addictive
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    "Reducing risk" is not "preventing" and this is not a one-size-fits-all solution.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    smolmaus wrote: »
    "Reducing risk" is not "preventing" and this is not a one-size-fits-all solution.

No, but its certainly something that has been proven to help for many.
  • Reckoner67
    Reckoner67 Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    What's worked *best* for me is a combination of exercise (specifically cardio), sleep (gave in and started taking melatonin, which helped a ridiculous amount), meds, and therapy when things still get too bad (negative thinking is still my Achilles heel, and it helps to have someone gently point out where I might be sabotaging myself). It took me a few years to figure this out; what helps a lot, a little, etc.

Good luck to anyone fighting this battle, holy smokes it's a beast. Still, it's really helped me to identify what helps and put them in the toolbox. Hopefully you can find some stuff that helps!
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    smolmaus wrote: »
    JustSomeEm wrote: »

No, but its certainly something that has been proven to help for many.

And also used as stick to poke people. Along with yoga, marijuana, meditation, gluten free diets and who knows what else.

Preventing depression is like saying you've cured cancer. Which type? What stage? Who doesn't it work for? Does it come back? It's more complicated than that. I don't enjoy the over simplification.

One can hope that folks with severe depression are seeking actual therapeutic help and getting the individualized assistance they need. In the meantime, I don't think anyone here is attempting to 'poke' the depressed. Exercise certainly helps me keep my mood up - here's to hoping it works for others. I suspect that is the reason for OPs post. :) While it may not 'fix' depression or even help in some cases, I appreciate the sharing of what could be another tool for those who are struggling.
    hroderick wrote: »

OP, thank you for sharing. :flowerforyou: Running and lifting both help me with my mood, as does better nutrition and attempting to maintain a positive outlook (much easier to type than do sometimes).