Weight loss

Options
Hi! First time writing here.im trying to drop 33 lbs. I was trying a diet of sugars below 20 grams a day, fat below 40 and protein at least 60. I lost my first 4 lbs then stalled. Stayed there for a few weeks and switched to keto. Lost 1lb in 3 weeks. And have been very strict. I moved back to the other diet and my bro who introduced me to this went over it with me and thinks my calories are too low. I'm 700-800/day. But I can't figure out how to raise the calories without raising the fat or sugars/carbs. And I fear I have bounced around and am overall confused now. I weigh 173 and am 5'7. My goal is 140 and healthy. Any ideas for raising calories? I feel like I'm eating all day. I don't know how my calories are so low.

Replies

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    sf619 wrote: »
    Hi! First time writing here.im trying to drop 33 lbs. I was trying a diet of sugars below 20 grams a day, fat below 40 and protein at least 60. I lost my first 4 lbs then stalled. Stayed there for a few weeks and switched to keto. Lost 1lb in 3 weeks. And have been very strict. I moved back to the other diet and my bro who introduced me to this went over it with me and thinks my calories are too low. I'm 700-800/day. But I can't figure out how to raise the calories without raising the fat or sugars/carbs. And I fear I have bounced around and am overall confused now. I weigh 173 and am 5'7. My goal is 140 and healthy. Any ideas for raising calories? I feel like I'm eating all day. I don't know how my calories are so low.

a lot is not adding up here - you say you feel like you are eating all day - yet are only at 700-800 calories per day? unless you are eating lettuce and nothing else all day, I don't see how that can be. also, if you were truly eating 700-800 calories per day the weight would be flying off. sounds like you are not weighing your food? start there to get a true idea of how much you are consuming.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food?
    Are you logging your food?
    Are you set up with a goal with MFP?
  • sf619
    sf619 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. The diet my bro has me doing isn't a fad like the keto. Just the ore gastric surgery diet. I am not having that surgery. He did though and lost a lot of weight prior by doing this. I am logging. Except during the keto. I wasn't logging. I probably had 5000 calories a day during keto cause I was thinking as long as my carbs were low I would be ok. Nope lol. I'm also weighing everything. And yes, lots of salads. Breakfast is typically one egg. Snack low fat pollyo string cheese. Lunch either salad or tuna. Dinner grilled chicken and broccoli. At this point I am having a difficult time constantly watching to make sure I don't go over on fat or sugar. I like the idea of just watching calories! Cause maybe I won't be so sad about it. Cause I feel I am the strictest I have ever been on my life and it's soooo slow. I do have thyroid issues and am on meds. So it could be that. But just hoping for more guidance on HOW to lose weight best.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. The diet my bro has me doing isn't a fad like the keto. Just the ore gastric surgery diet. I am not having that surgery. He did though and lost a lot of weight prior by doing this. I am logging. Except during the keto. I wasn't logging. I probably had 5000 calories a day during keto cause I was thinking as long as my carbs were low I would be ok. Nope lol. I'm also weighing everything. And yes, lots of salads. Breakfast is typically one egg. Snack low fat pollyo string cheese. Lunch either salad or tuna. Dinner grilled chicken and broccoli. At this point I am having a difficult time constantly watching to make sure I don't go over on fat or sugar. I like the idea of just watching calories! Cause maybe I won't be so sad about it. Cause I feel I am the strictest I have ever been on my life and it's soooo slow. I do have thyroid issues and am on meds. So it could be that. But just hoping for more guidance on HOW to lose weight best.

To answer your question at the end: by focusing less on the type of food you eat or suggestions by someone else and monitoring your actual calorie intake. Even if you do keto you have to track calories.

You specifically state that you'd prefer to just count calories so do that, accurately and consistently. Don't make things complicated by overwhelming yourself with inaccurate information from others.
  • sf619
    sf619 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My brother did it and lost a lot of weight and when he told me about it, it sounded like a healthy way to lose weight. And it probably is! Haha I'm probably just doing it wrong. I added 1/2 cup of granola and some pistachios today. But counting my dinner ahead of time that's still only getting me close to 1000 calories but I'm already over on fat. So I'm trying to balance the fat/sugar/carbs/protein/calories and it's making me crazy cause it's impossible.
  • kenyonhaff
    Options

You haven't answered the questions on whether you're logging, goal, weighing, etc. The best way on MFP is to do exactly that.

You can certainly choose to do it on keto, low carb, low sugar or whatever...BUT you do not have to!!! BUT you have to pick a goal, select how much to lose per week...and then log your food in accurately.
  • kenyonhaff
    Options
    My brother did it and lost a lot of weight and when he told me about it, it sounded like a healthy way to lose weight. And it probably is! Haha I'm probably just doing it wrong. I added 1/2 cup of granola and some pistachios today. But counting my dinner ahead of time that's still only getting me close to 1000 calories but I'm already over on fat. So I'm trying to balance the fat/sugar/carbs/protein/calories and it's making me crazy cause it's impossible.

Don't worry about the fat. Don't worry about the sugar. You probably won't be all within your macros all the time, and that's fine.

What matters is the calories on MFP.

And even then, it will take a little time for you to learn how to work within your limits and goals. That always takes a little trial and error. But in the long term it saves a lot of grief because you develop knowledge and skills and techniques rather than just eating what someone tells you to.

Remember what works for your brother may not work for you. His nutritional needs are different even if just by the difference that he's male.