Keto please ๐Ÿ˜

Options
Anyone on here doing Keto? I just started my Keto journey today and would love to here some tips and tricks!

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    My tip is to really consider why you are doing keto to begin with. Is it simply for weight loss purposes or is there a medical condition where keto could help? Do you enjoy the foods that are low in carbs and high in fats and is it an eating plan you can imagine doing long term for are you just after a quick fix for weight loss?

There is nothing magical about keto when it comes to weight loss and much that you find about it on the internet is not backed by scientific research. Some find this way of eating most satiating which makes a calorie deficit much easier to stick to. Often without even counting calories. Some find that eliminating many types of carbs helps with food cravings. Some enjoy this style of eating and know they can stick with it during weight loss and maintenance. However, the opposite of these also applies to many. If this is the way you want to go then I personally would just reduce carbs slowly until you find a macro percentage you find workable. If you really don't see this as a viable long term strategy I'd just lose weight by using MFP's default settings and gradually adjust them to percentages that best work for you.
  • FrecklePatch
    FrecklePatch Posts: 71 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I joined Low Carber Daily Forum. There's also a group called Keto. You can get some really good info there and the members are awesome!! :)

• Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Anyone on here doing Keto? I just started my Keto journey today and would love to here some tips and tricks!

The biggest tip I can give you is to understand how and why it works or doesn't. There aren't really any tricks. Keto will work fine for you if you use it to help you create a calorie deficit.

You should also understand what to expect:
    1. A large initial drop due to depletion of glycogen stores (not fat).
    2. A drop in weight over time that is proportional to your calorie deficit.

As long as you understand those things and manage your calorie balance (even if you are doing that indirectly through macros), it will work for you - if you comply.

Keto does not cause weight loss in and of itself. Only a calorie deficit does. To the extent that you use keto to control your caloric intake, it will work as a tool for you.

Full disclosure: I don't follow keto. I am not against it by any means. I just hope that people who use it understand that they are using an intake management tool....nothing more. For folks that like it, go for it.
  • KristaMac88
    KristaMac88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I do it. Have been for 5 weeks now. MY first week and a half i dropped 6lbs. Then slowed down and bounced up and down between a few, which is frustrating..but am now down 10lbs.

Make sure you google recipes and ingredients because the same few foods get tiring fast. You be starving if you eat all your carbs in a few small portions of not so great food. Some find it easier to do a slow transition at like 50 carbs then drop down to 20. If you download an app, like carb manager, it calculates net carbs for you and makes like a little easier. I have been using that instead of logging on here.

Also, make sure your getting your protein and healthy fats from the proper sources. Nobody can, or should try living on bacon and cheeseburgers alone. Electrolytes are gunna be your savior from feeling really crappy at first.

Good luck!
  • mdreddie
    mdreddie Posts: 73 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I've been jogging weekends with a friend that does keto, and he says that he gets most of his energy from keeping a high protein moderate fat and low carbohydrate diet, which translates into heavy cream with his coffee in the morning, nuts and mixed greens during his workday for snacking, and a high protein, moderate fat, low carb dinner like a half chicken with lots of veggies.
    I myself am not on keto, but there are some things I have tried from it, like adding heavy cream and no sugar to my morning coffee. I do have the coffee however with something like a banana or sweet potato before working out upon waking up, which is not so keto friendly perhaps, but heavy cream in my morning coffee is all kinds of wonderful and I would never have tried that if not for asking about the keto diet.
    Good luck on your keto journey! :)
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    if you put the word "keto" into the search box, there will no end of discussions on this topic. It's a Way Of Eating.

Weight loss works because you eat at a calorie deficit. (means, eat fewer calories than you need to maintain your current weight). good luck.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/search?adv=&search=keto&title=&author=&cat=all&tags=&discussion_d=1&comment_c=1&group_group=1&within=1+day&date=