I need advice please!

Hello my name is Stephanie. I have only been on MyFitness Pal for about 9 days. I started at 342 pounds and have lost 6 pounds in the first 5 days watching what I eat. The problem is after those 5 days I have started gaining weight again. I am at a loss and feeling down. I have been under my calorie goal everyday. I have cut out sugars and carbs as much as I can. I cannot exercise because my Nuerosurgeon told me not to because of my two bulging back discs which is why I am starting this. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. I have eaten the same thing almost everyday and the weight is slowly coming back on. I changed my goal from losing 1 pound a week to 2 pounds a week. So it changed my calorie goal from 2300 to 1860. I am hoping this works but any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Replies

• oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Congrats on deciding to change your lifestyle and begin this work! I'm sure others will chime in, but here are some things I've experienced along the way:

1. This a journey, not a race. It took me a year and a half to lose 80 lbs. at 1lb/week. During that time...

2. Sometimes I lost 1 pound/week, sometimes 3 pounds/week, sometimes I plateaued for a few weeks, especially towards the end. Your body isn't on the Gregorian calendar: it's going to do what it's going to do when it does it. That being said...

3. CICO works. The gain you experienced might have been water weight, maybe you're in the novice stages of your measuring skills. (You are measuring...right? If not, please get a good food scale and measuring cups ASAP and start weighing/measuring as much as possible. It's surprising how tiny serving sizes are sometimes--don't get me started on mixed nuts...) Regardless, any panic alarms pulled regarding weight gain should be after weeks, not after a few days. (Cue the MFP flowchart, which I'll post later if no one else does.)

4. You don't have to exercise to lose weight. I lost all 80 pounds without exercise and was happier for it.

5. What worked for me was cutting sugar and increasing protein, fiber, and fat intake. The fat helps you feel fuller, longer, and is good for brain function, among other things.

6. Log. Everything. If you go over, tomorrow is a new day. See point 1.

7. I would advise against lowering your calories below what the MFP algorithm suggested. Others on the forum may have different opinions, but for my weight loss journey it was spot-on.

Feel free to add me as a friend, it will get better, and thanks for reaching out! Good luck.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    syfieejajqdr.jpg
    I didn't make this, and I can't remember who did, but it's pretty good.
  • AnnabellaRaine
    AnnabellaRaine Posts: 43 Member
    quyc6jc11krr.jpeg
    I have lost 314lbs so far and I’m in a wheelchair. So I know what it’s like and it can be done.

More than happy to chat privately or I can pass on my private Skype so we can chat for free anytime you like.