I’m feeling so discouraged

Options
So in the past I lost 120+ pounds. I gained about 90 pounds back. Over the last year I lost almost 40 pounds and have about 50 left to lose. I have always loved running but haven’t done it in about a year. The last three weeks I have really buckled down and done strict calorie counting and I have been losing weight steadily at over a pound a week and feeling great. So last week I decided to add running back in and have run everyday for 7 days so far. Here’s the issue. It seems like since about the second or third day of running I have almost completely stopped losing weight. I went from over a pound a week to now In the last week losing less than a half a pound. I’m feeling so discouraged. 😓 I’ve been pushing myself and working so hard to run everyday and stay strict on calorie counting and it feels like I’m stulling and it’s not paying off. Is this normal? Does running slow or stop weight loss? I don’t understand...

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Try not to worry, your body is having to get used to the exercise programme, being physical when you have been sedentary causes more wear and tare on muscles which need to heal, once your regime is well under way the need for repair will be diminished until your ramp exercise up again. Please remember your rest days this is time when your body can work on the adjustments. Congratulations on taking the plunge again, I hope this time you will be able to stick with it. All the very best.
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Your body has to get used to the exercise again. And, the scale is still going down! Like Fuzz said above - taking breaks is an important component of exercise. Maybe take it down to 6 days to give your body recovery time. And make sure you get enough sleep.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,476 Member
    Options
    Are you adding food based on your exercise calories? If not, it’s water. Stressed muscles retain water. No or little loss in the face of new exercise is a common complaint on this board.

A friend says- We eventually get the weigh in we deserve, but not necessarily when we expect it.
  • asochable
    asochable Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I agree with what else has been said about your body adjusting to exercise. I also want to add that if you went from no exercise to running every day, be careful not to overdo it and get an injury from doing too much too soon! Give your body rest days to recover.
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouragement and advice! I know breaks are important, I just tend to go hard with running. I actually love it and when I miss a day I get in my head and feel like my day is off and not as productive. I will say I’m not a new runner. I just took a year off when I had a baby. Prior to that I was running consistently. I’m glad to hear this is normal and I’m not doing something wrong. I think I may need to step away from the scale for the next week or two until this passes.
  • Silent_Soliloquy
    Silent_Soliloquy Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Rest days KILL me !! So I get it. But you're putting a lot more strain on your joints etc since you weigh more now ... so you need to build up new tolerances in the knees and ankles.

And the legs always swell with water when you come back go running. It's actually a good thing, and may mess up the scale readings, but you're still burning fat if you're still eating a deficit

Be careful, be patient, trust the process.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    tschaff04 wrote: »
    Thank you all for the encouragement and advice! I know breaks are important, I just tend to go hard with running. I actually love it and when I miss a day I get in my head and feel like my day is off and not as productive. I will say I’m not a new runner. I just took a year off when I had a baby. Prior to that I was running consistently. I’m glad to hear this is normal and I’m not doing something wrong. I think I may need to step away from the scale for the next week or two until this passes.

i had been running for years. but i increased my speed and distance and created major issues. just be careful. This summer i put myself into fitness and pretty much wrecked a few things leading to being unable to do much of anything for long periods.
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I’m definitely trying to just stay optimistic and stick to what I know eventually works. Lol
  • keonwlsn
    keonwlsn Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Yes great routine with the calorie counting your commended. But remember as you run your building muscle muscle is going to add to that scale but you will look smaller so I suggest measure yourself and take pictures before and after you will notice a difference that way.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the little one. I'm pleased you took a year off for your little one, it is often forgotten having a baby takes so much out of a mum. I read somewhere it can take 18 months after the birth for the body to return to something like normal. I decided to look again and one site suggested two years. If your body is still settling down this could also contribute to some of your weight related concerns. I hope you are able to enjoy your little one. I'm fortunate to be able to share one of my Great Grandsons at least once a week for a few hours. Such a privilege.