MFP BLOG Eggs she said

Options
Any chicken tender will tell you "brown chickens lay brown eggs and white chickens lay white eggs" is very funny statement.

Umm... there are other colors in the chicken world. Egg color is determined by breed and wait for it ... ear lobe color. A quick Google will confirm.

Replies

• runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm.....eggs. I've had a hankering for duck eggs recently, maybe I'll have to see if I can find them at my local health food store.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm.....eggs. I've had a hankering for duck eggs recently, maybe I'll have to see if I can find them at my local health food store.

I find duck eggs at farmers' markets from time to time. My impression is that they seem more seasonal than chicken eggs, i.e., not available year 'round.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Any chicken tender will tell you "brown chickens lay brown eggs and white chickens lay white eggs" is very funny statement.

Umm... there are other colors in the chicken world. Egg color is determined by breed and wait for it ... ear lobe color. A quick Google will confirm.

Chickens have earlobes??? Well how 'bout that :/
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    So I went to the grocery store and asked a package of chicken tenders if they thought that statement was funny and all I got was some weird looks from other customers. <ba-dump-bump>

I'm guessing there was something in the MFP blog about this? Just for future reference, there really isn't any crossover, ie I doubt anyone responsible for the blog monitors the public forums for feedback. But now I will be googling chicken earlobes to see what there is to see :smiley:
  • Cant_think_of_a_username
    Options
    If you keep chickens for long you'll get to see all manner of peculiar eggs. Big ones, small ones, long ones, wrinkly ones, some without a shell just a membrane, others with 2 shells, some with no yolk, even some with an egg inside another egg. Honestly - look up wind eggs, I'm not making it up :smile:
  • margbarco
    margbarco Posts: 128 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    ocmfh953med4.png

I’m guessing this thread is in reference to the above last bulletpoint.
  • jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    What came first the chicken or the egg?????
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    My sister raises chickens (recreationally.)

This was a recent family text:

489sly7hqndz.jpeg

I’ve not verified the info. Too busy being delighted by it. I heart nature.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Ok I googled chicken earlobes and it did not disappoint. Fun fact: there's a Chicken Wicki!
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options

The chicken because eggs can't run!
  • jasonpoihegatama
    jasonpoihegatama Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

Good point but not what i mean.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

Try the number 3 at iHop. You'll see some runny eggs.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    If you keep chickens for long you'll get to see all manner of peculiar eggs. Big ones, small ones, long ones, wrinkly ones, some without a shell just a membrane, others with 2 shells, some with no yolk, even some with an egg inside another egg. Honestly - look up wind eggs, I'm not making it up :smile:

The ones without shells gross me out. I'm like, madam, did you forget something? I love when someone pops out a tiny tiny one once in a while.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options

Eggs. A chicken must come from an egg, but an egg can come from something that is not quite a chicken itself, but genetic mutation has caused the material in the egg to become a chicken.
  • Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Actually I think we can create a chicken from a few cells in a petri dish. Thanks for playing along.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    Actually I think we can create a chicken from a few cells in a petri dish. Thanks for playing along.

We can now. The question is which came first. I guarantee you the first chicken was not grown from a few cells in a petri dish.