Older women success stories please!

Options

Replies

• ndargy1977
    ndargy1977 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Bumping.....hoping to get this thread started again!!
  • swissbrit1964
    swissbrit1964 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to get intimidated by all the 20 something people who lose 100 lbs and look AMAZING!! I'm afraid that when I lose my 60 lbs, I'm still going to look like an "eh" 45 year old. I also have heard that it's so much harder to lose weight post-menopause. Should I just throw in the towel now?:ohwell:

The last time I was here I was 45 I lost 20kgs and kept it off until I had an accident (a long drawn out one) during which I succumed to eating crap whenever and whatever I wanted and not doing any exercise at all....I mean I have been a couch Potato... So I get rid of my cast hopefully next week and have been getting my brain around getting back to where I was ....which is at least 20kgs lighter and I know its going to be hard but I will do it because I owe it to me 54 now so dont be scared just enjoy the amazing journeyvs90sxasczqt.jpg
  • monique51314
    monique51314 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    All of these stories have helped me as I begin my journey. I will be 40. Have a 4 yr old son and gaine 72 pounds while pregnant with him. It’s like I lost right agate giving birth then put weight back on. So I’m now as heavy as I was while pregnant. I’m using MFP to track my cals and physical activity. I would love to lose 50 pounds as my goal. But, a smaller goal is to lose about 15 to 20 by my sons 5th birthday in May! I could use all the encouragement I can get.
  • GettingOld68
    GettingOld68 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and started this adventure when I grew a menopot equal to my baby weight. I've lost 15 pounds over 3 months, hitting my initial goal weight. But I've learned I'm small framed and probably need to lose another 5 pounds or so to show off the muscle I've been building with weights and interval cardio. Every time I walk up my basement stairs, I marvel at how solid my thighs feel now, LOL! I think I've been a bit overweight for my build for years and never realized/cared because I don't have other health problems. I feel better, stronger, calmer and just smaller/tighter (in a good way) than I ever have before. With age comes wisdom, I guess. ;)
  • Landofkim
    Landofkim Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You look great !!! Inspiring!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,494 Member
    Options
    @ChelleDee07 you look gorgeous! Kudos to you, honey!
  • debiase1
    debiase1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    OHFlamingo wrote: »
    I'm 71 and have lost 49 pounds with another 49 to go! Slow and steady seems to be working well for me. Good luck to all on this journey!
    You inspire me. I’m 66, 67 in a couple of weeks. I’m 5’4” and 159 lbs. I know I’ll never have my high school figure at 120 lbs, but by golly, 140 would be nice. And I think sustainable. I’m a member of FP4H at my church and I find encouragement with my Christian Sisters. Our main focus is getting healthier. But weight loss is certainly a bonus.
  • kimirayray
    kimirayray Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am 53 and going through menopause - I started eating clean for a few weeks and lost 3 pounds initially and by the end of two weeks was exactly the same. People commented though that I looked like I lost weight - which was weird. I felt different too - who knows. But I am convinced that although you need My Fitness Pal and you should try and eat clean 80% percent of the time, the only way I loose is if I limit my carbs. So it gets tricky because eating clean is virtually no meat. So if I am not having a lot of meat and limiting carbs as well, I can't live on beans and salad! Plus I have not been working out due to a herniated disc. My PT said I can walk now, so that's how I will start, plus arm weights. But I am totally confused on how to go about eating now! I will always track on here though - I try to keep it to under 100 for carbs and 1200 calories. Menopause sucks! If anyone has a suggestion - please let me know!
  • Longing4Maui
    Longing4Maui Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Just read recent posts on this site, and thank you for the inspiration. I ‘restarted’ MFP Jan 2 this year, down 15 lbs to date, but long ways to go. Used this app about 10 years ago to lose a chunk, but then strayed from it and gained it all back plus some. This time started at 232, initial goal is to get under 200 by June 1; and then reach 175 and we’ll see from there. It is slow going, recent surgery has me limited with physical activity, but hoping once weather here gets better I can get out and walk plus more. Also a new retiree with too much time available to ‘munch’ or think about it. And winter season not good either, as LONG and cold and lots of snow making me stay inside. Trying to keep busy with cleaning, crafting, and new volunteer ‘job’. Open to some friends to help me on this journey; and I’ll help them.
  • lovechattys
    lovechattys Posts: 65 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Well here you go. I am turning 44, 5’4” and about 150lbs. I was always the skinny kid. I gained a bit of weight after my first child (20lbs and thought I was fat, lol). Well needless to say I weigh more now than I did when I thought I was fat and I feel pretty damn great! I am sure at one point I weighed more than 180 but that was the high number I saw on a scale before I stopped looking. It has been a long road to get here but what I found was I needed to start by being honest. If I over ate I logged it (hated myself but I logged it. Wanted to quit again but I logged it!). That was my turning point. And now I don’t hate what I see in the mirror anymore. I don’t cry when I buy clothes anymore. Some days I still have to stop myself from catching the negative thought train. But I have kept it off for 2 years (up and down a few pounds but the majority of it has stayed off). And if I can do it anyone can do it. Never give up sweetie!!!!ie8denur80ur.jpeg
    g4nsjt8c7uf2.jpeg
  • Longing4Maui
    Longing4Maui Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    @lovechattys , Wow, so inspirational, and what I need to hear to stick to this journey. Long ways to go, but need to just keep at it. Thanks for sharing your story.
  • ChelleDee07
    ChelleDee07 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    @ChelleDee07 you look gorgeous! Kudos to you, honey!

Thank you!! I have worked hard and continue to every single day. I appreciate your kind words!!
  • lovechattys
    lovechattys Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    @lovechattys , Wow, so inspirational, and what I need to hear to stick to this journey. Long ways to go, but need to just keep at it. Thanks for sharing your story.

You can do it! I had to restart so many times before i got it to stick. I would do great for a month or two and then hit a plateau and give up. Or have that weekend binge and not log because of the guilt. The honesty with myself with logging and saying yep that was a bad day and moving on saved me from myself. So if i helped then i am so glad. And good luck with your journey as well.
  • tlc4pit
    tlc4pit Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    @ChelleDee07 you look awesome!!! I'm 5'4 and need to lose about 80 pounds. Struggling to stay focused, that darn life thing gets in the way. ;) Just gotta keep trying.

• lovefrenchies
    lovefrenchies Posts: 29 Member
    Options

It's not fair, you still look like you're 30 too!!

I am 60 and into this two weeks. So far, it has been easier than I thought. I have lost a lot in my stomach (I have 80 lbs. to lose total). I do track my macros

You do not look like you have much to lose. You are already a beautiful woman on the outside - you will be stunning when you get to where you want to be.
  • lovefrenchies
    lovefrenchies Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    P.S. I weighed myself when I started to get a starting weight, but since then I haven't been on the scale and don't intend to for many months. I detest the scale. It is really a horrible thing, and somehow works against you whether you drop weight or gain it. You either think you can afford a little cheat, or you are discouraged and eat, or you aren't losing fast enough. I know by how I look and my clothes whether I am losing and that is enough for me. What is weight anyway - just a terrible way to judge yourself.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!