Suggestions for things to drink

Options
Ok, so I stopped drinking Mt.Dew/Coke/Dr.Pepper and switched to water with just a lil bit of tea in it (our water tastes god awful and I dont want to buy any, tried a 'faucet' fliter and that just annoyed the abso crap outta me) Anyway, in an effort to keep up with exactly how much water I'm drinking and make sure I'm getting my 8 glasses I started pouring the tea in a 20oz bottle, just about 1/2 an inch of tea the rest water. I drink about 6 20oz bottles of water a day. Thats 120 oz of water when I'm supposed to get 64 oz. An yeah I used to drink that much mt.dew if not more a day. The thing is I've read you can drink to much water and flush the sodium out of your body. So, what can I drink besides water?!?!? I like juice but most of it has WAY WAY WAY to much sugar in it, I dont want to drink mt.dew etc any more......... so what else is there?!?! I'm not a big fan of unsweet tea (I'm to southern for that LOL) an dont like the sports drinks......

Oh and yes I am that thirsty all the time, no I'm not diabetic I've been checked :p I think its a habit from yrs of drinking tea/cokes instead of eating.

Replies

• army_cobra
    army_cobra Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    All i drink is water i will have about 2 gals of water a day. You can buy a juicer and drink that but your best bet is water.
  • Tegan74
    Tegan74 Posts: 202
    Options
    Thats not enough to flush the sodium out of your body? Cause if you're drinking that much and not getting sick I should be fine LOL. Just water doesnt bother me at all ~ its the thought of getting sick cause of it that I'm trying to avoid
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    The ammount of water needed to flush the sodium out of your body to any dangerous level is that high it's virtually impossible to do without conciously trying.
  • army_cobra
    Options
    I have never been sick but i do 2 hours of cardio a day + my workout so i sweat ALOT. To much water can dehydrate you tho. That is what i have heard.
  • Rworthy
    Rworthy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Yes you can drink too much water. *If your pee is clear, you're drinking too much water. (If it's dark, not enough water). You need to replenish sugars after a workout - so I drink gatorade after cardio and G3 (gatorade with protein) after a weight training session. It's ok to drink some juices - just make sure they're all natural, organic, not from concentrate. Naked Juice is good - there's one with protein also. Cranberry juice is good b/c it cleans you out. Milk is good *(2%) b/c it has calcium and protein and good fats. Also, have you tried unsweet tea with real lemon? (Like an actual lemon you cut and squeeze)? I find unsweet tea unbearable, but with lemon it's actually quite refreshing.

Beware of artificial sweeteners - they're lurking in everything that says "sugar free" or "low sugar". They can actually make you crave more sugar.
  • ohamberx0
    ohamberx0 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    A filtered pitcher? They're really not that expensive.. and you don't have to wait around waiting for a slow faucet filter to give you water. I always used it at my old house when the tap water was gross and we didn't have filtered water fridge.
  • army_cobra
    Options
    Look at it this way what is cheaper to buy water or soda? I can buy a gallon of water for 88cents and its only 25 cents to refill. lol
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Licorice tea is nice
  • macylane4
    macylane4 Posts: 224
    Options
    I drink the on the go crystal light! The raspberry ice is really good, and 5 cal no sugar. As for water...I lost 140 lbs with walking 3 miles a day, and drinking a gallon of water at night while watching tv. I also watched my calories, but the water kept me full and didn't allow me to snack at night or even gorge in the morning! I'm the same way about getting bored with drinks, so try crystal light! Any form of pop is very bad for your system, and you should NEVER drink it!!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    A filtered pitcher? They're really not that expensive.. and you don't have to wait around waiting for a slow faucet filter to give you water. I always used it at my old house when the tap water was gross and we didn't have filtered water fridge.

I keep a filtered pitcher in the fridge at home, and have a filtered water bottle for work. The water at work (different city) is just nasty. You might try adding cucumber slices, mint leaves, or citrus slices to your water now and then.
  • macylane4
    macylane4 Posts: 224
    Options
    Army cobra is correct...when you are working out you need a lot more water! We go through about 2 gallons on the days we are at the gym. If you don't drink a lot of water your muscles are more sore also! And about your pee being clear or too dark I asked my doctor about the dark color even if I'm drinking a lot of water, and he said it is a way to get rid of waste from your body, and the dark coloration could be FAT!!!!!! Honestly I was wondering where my 5-7lbs week were going...now I know!!! hehehe:laugh:
  • avarielle1215
    avarielle1215 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Personally I drink a lot of iced tea/hot tea sweetened with Splenda, I also drink Diet Lipton Green tea from the store and make calorie free Italian Sodas with sparkling water + 1 oz. of flavored sugar free syrup (such or Torani brand). Depends how you feel about artificial sweeteners though I guess! You can try making pitchers of iced mint tea or iced mint water for a change too. I also used the Kool-Aid single serving packs (About 1/2 a pack to 16 oz water) which only costs 30 calories.
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    My doc told me to take half my weight and drink an ounce for every pound. So if you weight 100 pounds, you would need to drink 50 ounces of water a day. Here are a couple of websites with more info.
    Also, if you are putting tea in your water you may be negating what you are drinking. I buy distilled water, have for years, it is not expensive. Also you could buy a distiller and distill the water yourself.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/85926-determine-much-water-drink

http://www.worldofdiets.com/how-much-water-to-drink-a-day

and:

(from ask.com)
    It's Not How Much You Drink, It's How Fast You Drink It!

The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition.

(from scientific America.com)
    In humans the kidneys control the amount of water, salts and other solutes leaving the body by sieving blood through their millions of twisted tubules. When a person drinks too much water in a short period of time, the kidneys cannot flush it out fast enough and the blood becomes waterlogged. Drawn to regions where the concentration of salt and other dissolved substances is higher, excess water leaves the blood and ultimately enters the cells, which swell like balloons to accommodate it.