Shampoo/Conditioner for Curly Hair?

Options
Hey all! On a related topic to looking good after weight loss, I need some advice re my shampoo/conditioner.

Here's the deal. I'm a student and can't afford salon hair care products. I have curly and frizzy hair, but it seems to be loosening up as I get older. I love Pantene, but am finding in the last year or 2 that it is too heavy for my hair and just weighs it down, where it used to be the only thing that could control the psychosis!

I need some advice on what other girls with curly hair use, that is lighter than Pantene but won't leave me with flyaway frizz again.

Thanks!

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I have naturally wavy hair that I flatiron every day. That said, I have fallen in love with Dove's Revive Shampoo/Conditioner with Pomegranate & Lemon Verbena. Changes my hair. I also got the more intense version of the conditioner which has been amazing. I highly recommend it. They probably have a version for curly hair, but I would totally try the Revive first, it smells so good!
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Go to naturallycurly.com or curltalk.com. GREAT advice there! I've found recipes to make my own products and for awhile used Suave coconut conditioner as a 'co-wash' instead of shampoo. Or shampoo bars. Also make my own flax seed gel.

Stay away from silicones and sulfates- your hair will thank yoU!
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    While I don't have the same hair type as you, I have to put in my 2 cents. I am also a poverty-stricken student. :)

I'm also genetically bred to be a cheap-*kitten*.

I frequent stores like Marshalls and T.J. Maxx and get some SUPER sweet deals on beauty products. There is nothing like being able to pamper yourself and knowing that you saved 75%.
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I use Finesse. To control frizz I use Paul Mitchell leave in conditioner. Though I can feel this product in my hair, it is worth it to me on those humid days when it seems to me my hair is more frizz than hair.
  • msallymae
    msallymae Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    redken . hands down the best products. i have curly hair and i just use the moisturizing one. but they do make a curly haired one that i have used in the past. totally worth it.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    aussie products are good for curls...so are Dove..
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Curly haired gal right here, and you need to look for sulfate free shampoo/conditioner. Not only are they better for your hair, but they help calm the frizz down a lot!

My fav. is TIGI Bed Head Superstar Shampoo/Conditioner. You can't buy it in stores anymore, but you can get it on amazon for around 15-16 dollars each.. and those are liter sized bottles so they last about 6 months or longer depending on the length of your hair.
  • crystalmichelle82
    Options
    I have curly hair naturally and the Pantene products actually strip away your hair of its nutrients per my hair dresser. i usually go to the shops that my hair dresser shops @ w/ the discount card and get the things at cost. I dont buy my shampoo/conditioner anywhere else so i dont really have any other options to provide you.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I too have been blessed (I mean cursed lol) with naturally curly hair. I switch shampoos around a lot depending on what is on sale and I have coupons for LOL. Of all that I have used, IDove has given me the best looking air-dry hair. It didn't weigh it down at all and made it super soft. I'm not positive, but I think it was for "dry or damaged hair" It wasn't the heat therapy one in the dark blue bottle, but I have heard wonderful things about that one (it's next on my list to try out lol).
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    My natural curly (read frizzy) hair drives me nuts. I switch between Suave Professional Humectant Moisture shampoo and conditioner and Herbal Essences Hydralicious.
  • meowthania
    Options
    I am hooked on L'oreal EverPure. it's sulfate free, and I think it smells GREAT!
    they have 3 different ones - a moisture one, a smooth one, and a volume one. I use the smooth and my hair is silky and happy.
    it's with Rosemary, Juniper and Mint. I am TOTALLY hooked
  • Kristy144
    Kristy144 Posts: 166
    Options
    I'm a cosmetologist and just an FYI Pantene is the worst shampoo you can use for your hair it has a wax in it that coats the hair, don't use it! If you can not afford salon brand brands I would suggest a SULFATE FREE Suave Salon Professionals shampoo, its pretty similar to salon name brand and very cheap, the better of store shampoos. On the high end Redken Fresh Curls, is alot cheaper than Bumble & Bumble (which is the BEST for curly hair!) also TIGI has a few cheap shampoos bur usually make the hair feel like straw :/
  • ziggy67
    ziggy67 Posts: 351
    Options
    I use Biolage ( Maxtrix ). My hair loves this and it smells divine. They do different shampoo's/conditioners for coloured, dry, normal and fly away hair etc.
    I also find John Freida's hair serum brilliant for taming fly away hairs...just apply it to wet hair before drying...it works like magic.
    One thing my hairdresser did tell me was to change my shampoo/conditioner occasionally so that the hair does not get too used to one product ...so once in a while I use Pantene too.
  • HealthyOtter
    Options
    Hi Sagelit!
    I don't have curly hair but I am a student and I understand the need for budgets! I do get my hair product from my salon but also from ULTA. I use Pureology. Now a little sample bottle is $7 BUT I only use about a dime size worth and it takes me at least 6 months to get through that bottle. I have short hair like you and even shorter since yesterday so I can expect to have this little 3 oz bottle for about 7-8 months.

The shampoo is all organic, and chemical free, smells great, and VERY concentrated which is why you can use so little and have it last so long.
  • christinad95
    christinad95 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Dove and herbal essenses shampoo's have found to have the best Ph for your hair. In general stay away from shampoos that are not able to be seen through. Dove has been the only exception thus far. I use the herbal essenes line, along with their spray in "tousel me softly" gel. I then touch it off with garnie fructise anti humidity hair spray. I have very naturally curly hair. I straighten it alot, but when I can't that's what I use.
  • BeachGurl815
    BeachGurl815 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Another curly girl here! Minimize sulfate use (sodium larel sulfate - in most shampoos) and also avoid silicones. Use botanical conditioners and I also recommend naturallycurly.com!
  • NYClady71
    Options
    I have curly hair as well. I tried the advice of my stylist and your hair will improve over time. Instead of washing/putting conditioner in it every day, just try going 5 days without the use of this stuff. Go ahead and wet it down if you'd like, but reducing the wash/conditioner will improve your hair's shine and overall condition (pun intended). Not to mention the money you save by not using the stuff every day. Sounds odd I know, but it works!
  • cvaneaton
    cvaneaton Posts: 154
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thanks for all the tips and suggestions I have a fro too...I splurge on Aveda and cheap out on other stuff...I am going to try the Dove though cause i live the soap and shower gel...
  • B_L_A_Z_I_A_N
    Options
    I have naturally curly hair (from butt length cut now to bra length)...

To cleanse:
    2+1 Aussie shampoo/conditioner moist for shampoo, then the aussie conditioner

To Style:
    towel dry hair and then put more conditioner in... scrunch and GO!

I'm a low maintenance type of girl!
  • kellybug123
    Options
    I switch back and forth between Dove and Pantene, but mostly I use Dove products. One of my good friends owns her own salon and she has naturally curly hair, so she gives me all kinds of tips. I've also been using a new product by Dove that is in a small bottle and you only use not even a quarter size of it each day. I know they're a little more than Suave and some other products, but I love them. I normally use Dove's mousse too. Hope this helps.