1200 calorie a day diet

Options
Hi everyone, I wanted to know if anyone else on here is cutting down to 1200 calories, iv just started two weeks ago and finding it really enjoyable, I like knowing that I’m controlling my portions but still eating foods that I love. I’m starting to get abit repetitive with my food though and need some ideas on low calorie foods. I also go to the gym 3 times a week and I burn 500 calories a time as I go swimming too

Replies

• sweetchick8989
    sweetchick8989 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi am here to loose some weight I weigh 185 and I quite smoking and realized that I lost one addiction and gained another
  • sweetchick8989
    sweetchick8989 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to get on this site and start with 12,000 calories
  • keonwlsn
    keonwlsn Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Very nice
  • DeadlineMAY2019
    DeadlineMAY2019 Posts: 19 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I’m on the 1200 cal a day too!

I’m doing spin classes at the gym 3 times a week. The biggest struggle I have though is eating at night. I just get hungry around 10-11ish 😓
  • mtnbkr1966
    mtnbkr1966 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

Thanks for that link. It’s a well-written article and put some things in perspective for me.
  • jemam2015
    jemam2015 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

I’m doing spin classes at the gym 3 times a week. The biggest struggle I have though is eating at night. I just get hungry around 10-11ish 😓

This is me too! But iv learnt to leave around 100 calories out of my 1200 for around 9pm to have a small snack then I’m ok 😊
  • jemam2015
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I like to leave this link on these kinds of threads in case people haven't had an opportunity to evaluate if 1200 calories is appropriate for them :

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

Also, as an fyi, MFP is designed for you to eat back your exercise calories, otherwise you risk netting a dangerously low amount of calories.

I'm sure you'll have others come along soon who are also set at 1200 calories. There are often threads like this. :)

This is good, but long. To try to summarize: Most women, with the exception of those who are short and sedentary, should be eating more than 1200 calories to lose weight safely and effectively. Eating 1200 can be risky for other women because it can lead to a higher risk of falling off your diet as well as lack of energy, muscle loss, and nutritional deficiency.

In certain cases, 1200 is appropriate. But for many women, they should be eating more. Especially if you are working out. If you are working out, and not eating those calories back, you are under eating even more.

I guess it's my crazy hope that some people are willing to spend a few minutes educating themselves before making decisions concerning their health. ;)

BTW, many will say, "but 1200 is what MFP gave me", but that is based on the info you entered into your profile, including your current activity level not including purposeful exercise and your desired weekly weight loss goal. Many go for 2 lbs/week, because who wouldn't, right? But that rate of loss is only intended for those who are quite obese.

wd08cd6r2pi4.png

And be aware that while MFP may give you 1200 calories to lose a certain amount per week, 1200 is the lowest amount it will give any woman, so that may or may not result in achieving the rate of loss you entered (but you shouldn't try to undercut it... it's like that for a reason).

I haven’t read into anything about doing 1200 but I just thought give it a go and if I can’t do it then il have more calories but I seem to be fine. I’m still eating things I like and very rarely go over, only by about 10 calories which is nothing anyway. I thought I’d be more hungry as I work out too but I’m not and I still have lots or energy so so far so good for me il see what the scales say tmro
  • jemam2015
    Options
    jemam2015 wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I like to leave this link on these kinds of threads in case people haven't had an opportunity to evaluate if 1200 calories is appropriate for them :

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

Also, as an fyi, MFP is designed for you to eat back your exercise calories, otherwise you risk netting a dangerously low amount of calories.

I'm sure you'll have others come along soon who are also set at 1200 calories. There are often threads like this. :)

This is good, but long. To try to summarize: Most women, with the exception of those who are short and sedentary, should be eating more than 1200 calories to lose weight safely and effectively. Eating 1200 can be risky for other women because it can lead to a higher risk of falling off your diet as well as lack of energy, muscle loss, and nutritional deficiency.

In certain cases, 1200 is appropriate. But for many women, they should be eating more. Especially if you are working out. If you are working out, and not eating those calories back, you are under eating even more.

I guess it's my crazy hope that some people are willing to spend a few minutes educating themselves before making decisions concerning their health. ;)

BTW, many will say, "but 1200 is what MFP gave me", but that is based on the info you entered into your profile, including your current activity level not including purposeful exercise and your desired weekly weight loss goal. Many go for 2 lbs/week, because who wouldn't, right? But that rate of loss is only intended for those who are quite obese.

wd08cd6r2pi4.png

And be aware that while MFP may give you 1200 calories to lose a certain amount per week, 1200 is the lowest amount it will give any woman, so that may or may not result in achieving the rate of loss you entered (but you shouldn't try to undercut it... it's like that for a reason).

I haven’t read into anything about doing 1200 but I just thought give it a go and if I can’t do it then il have more calories but I seem to be fine. I’m still eating things I like and very rarely go over, only by about 10 calories which is nothing anyway. I thought I’d be more hungry as I work out too but I’m not and I still have lots or energy so so far so good for me il see what the scales say tmro

I don't know your stats, so for all I know, 1200 may be perfectly fine for you.

But as a general rule, I don't think a compelling reason to eat the bare minimum of calories for a woman is because a person can. People who under-fuel their bodies often feel fine... until they don't. And then it can be a long road to reclaim their previous health & energy levels.

Are you eating back any of your exercise calories, because your comment suggests you are not? When a person is already eating the bare minimum of calories, any additional deficit you create through exercise puts you in dangerous territory (again, whether it "feels" like it or not). Why not just use MFP the way it was designed? :)

Yes sometimes I do eat the extra calories iv burnt only if I need them though. I haven’t looked into it properly as you suggest but I am eating lots of vegetables and low calorie foods so I’ll be full which gives me the energy
  • jemam2015
    Options
    Thanks 😊
  • paige07042011
    paige07042011 Posts: 4 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    MFP gave me the 1200 for my calories goal and totally hating it. Recently got to the point where I went eff it and went on a huge binge eating rampage and gained 10 lbs now I got 20 lbs to loose vs 10 😧. Just trying to find a way to make thoes 1200 calories count I guess. Not used to having such a restricted ammout but then again have had a huge lifestyle change too recently.
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    MFP gave me 1200 too. (I’m short 5.1, 117 start)
    I am going low carb to meet that low cal. I miss my bagel and pasta but eating textured food and keeping busy is helping so far.
    If I want to eat high calories, I up the exercise and try burning!
    I see little progress and it keeps me motivated.
  • NotThatImportant1083
    Options
    I'm also supposed to eat about 1200 cals. But it's really hard not too beat myself up after having more than 200 cal. I got really conscious of all the calories I consume daily. Especially since my bulimia turned to anorexia recently, as said by my therapist. I'm supposed to be recovering right now :( . Sorry for my rant. I just really feel trapped in this body. It feels like I've been this way forever, even though it's only been 2 years :/ .
  • Tiamarie619
    Tiamarie619 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 calories a day as well and feel the same way! I don't know if you use Pinterest but there's a lot of low calorie food ideas on there 🙂
  • niskmom
    niskmom Posts: 32 Member
    Options

I go to bed and bring 1 Hershey kids and a bottle of water.