1200 calorie a day diet

Options

Replies

• niskmom
    niskmom Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    jemam2015 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I wanted to know if anyone else on here is cutting down to 1200 calories, iv just started two weeks ago and finding it really enjoyable, I like knowing that I’m controlling my portions but still eating foods that I love. I’m starting to get abit repetitive with my food though and need some ideas on low calorie foods. I also go to the gym 3 times a week and I burn 500 calories a time as I go swimming too

I find friends on mfp who publish their diaries are the most helpful. If you publish your food diary for friends I’m happy to accept your friend request. I get good ideas, especially for dinner.

• jemam2015
    jemam2015 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    MFP gave me the 1200 for my calories goal and totally hating it. Recently got to the point where I went eff it and went on a huge binge eating rampage and gained 10 lbs now I got 20 lbs to loose vs 10 😧. Just trying to find a way to make thoes 1200 calories count I guess. Not used to having such a restricted ammout but then again have had a huge lifestyle change too recently.

Oh no ☹️ how many roughly are you used to eating? I probably ate around 3000 probably more as I didn’t watch what I ate at all and I juat grabbed chocolates and sweets and wouldn’t look how many calories they were, I’d have about two takeouts a week so I thought this would be really difficult for me but it’s not.
    I always plan what I’m going to have the next day the night before so I know how many calorie I have left and it stops me wanting to just eat anything. Plus iv lost another 2lb today, so I must be doing something right?

• jemam2015
    Options
    MFP gave me 1200 too. (I’m short 5.1, 117 start)
    I am going low carb to meet that low cal. I miss my bagel and pasta but eating textured food and keeping busy is helping so far.
    If I want to eat high calories, I up the exercise and try burning!
    I see little progress and it keeps me motivated.

You can still have those foods, opt for the thin bagels at juat over 100 calories per bagel and maybe have with a light cheese spread, that’s only around 150 calories then you could have fruit with yoghurt or some cereal with the remaining breakfast calories.
  • jemam2015
    Options
    I'm also supposed to eat about 1200 cals. But it's really hard not too beat myself up after having more than 200 cal. I got really conscious of all the calories I consume daily. Especially since my bulimia turned to anorexia recently, as said by my therapist. I'm supposed to be recovering right now :( . Sorry for my rant. I just really feel trapped in this body. It feels like I've been this way forever, even though it's only been 2 years :/ .

Things take time though nothing happens in a day, if you really want to change then you will, when you first see progress that will do wonders and will motivate you to keep going, aslong as you enjoy it you will succeed! Don’t beat yourself up for having just 200 calories just make sure you have foods you like and you will enjoy it more. Don’t be sorry, people need to talk about these things and be honest it’s all part of the process x
  • jemam2015
    Options
    Just be careful with this one, love. If your body actually needs more than 1200 (especially with working out), all you’ll be doing is throwing your body into starvation mode, which will kill your metabolism and do the exact OPPOSITE of what you want it to do.

Iv checked online and it says I need around 1500 per day it’s strange how your body can go into starvation mode yet I don’t feel hungry
  • jemam2015
    Options
    Sorry I hadn’t read the comments after this, don’t know what to believe now. Il just carry on what I’m doing and maybe just have a cheat meal a week does anyone else do this?
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    123abcfu wrote: »
    fyi - my comment was not intended as a chastise. I work in a related field and simply put you will get all sorts of advice, some good some not. Trust your body and pay attention to how you feel. Without posting your stat's, body fat, age etc etc it is impossible to say if 1200 cal's is appropriate. I initial response was meant for you to do some research of you own and to let you know that 1200 may be fine. If you feel ok you are likely just fine. Good Luck!

Yes, a person will get all sorts of advice on the internet, some good and some nonsense. Yes, do some research, but from reputable sources. Don't be fooled by a "Dr" in front of someone's name, or platitudes like "if you feel OK you are likely fine".

You've attracted a lot of woo on this thread (which is bad, BTW), but this community has a lot of knowledgeable people who have successfully met their health & fitness goals and know what they are talking about, some of them professionals in science & fitness. Taken as a whole, you will find there is a consensus on these matters. You can find much of this excellent advice here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-health-fitness-and-diet-must-reads#latest
  • try2again
    edited February 2019
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Sorry I hadn’t read the comments after this, don’t know what to believe now. Il just carry on what I’m doing and maybe just have a cheat meal a week does anyone else do this?

The problem with eating a bit too little isn't "starvation mode". It's that your body needs a certain amount of fuel (calories) to do what it does. If you are slightly undereating, you may "feel" fine. But many women who insist on starting low do great for the first couple of months and then start to suffer from feeling deprived, and feeling like a failure because they aren't fine anymore with the lowest calories. Eating a bit too little can also affect your energy a little - not enough so you notice it, but enough that you move a little less and burn a few less calories.

And let me tell you a little secret :wink: - many people who insist they are full and happy on 1200 cals aren't using a food scale, are choosing not-so-accurate entries in the database, and are actually eating more like 1500 calories anyway! When I first started, I would've sworn on a Bible that I was barely eating 1400 cals and not losing weight. Then I got a food scale and realized I was eating more like 1700 calories.

Set a realistic weekly weight loss goal, log accurately and consistently, log your exercise and eat back at least some of those calories, and give it at least 4-6 weeks to really start clicking and moving. A wise MFPer once said, the one who eats the most to lose weight wins. No one gets bonus points for being satisfied with less.

Check out these posts when you get a chance, and good luck :drinker:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

I was hoping for more people like you and @estherdragonbat to come along, @kimny72 :)

I often hesitate to mention accuracy in these discussions because I fear if a person thinks it's OK to net <1200 calories anyway, I don't want to give them the tools to be accurate about it ;)
  • jlbtnc
    jlbtnc Posts: 725 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I do 1200 calories because I was told to by my doctor to lose weight. The doctor knows me, my history, weight etc. I am as of right now doing 1250 that MFP recommended, and try to eat some of the calories I work off if get a chance to walk. I lose and have always lost at this percentage. I am 5'2" 52yo, and classified as obese as I have at times been up to 260lbs. This year started out at 229lb in January and started again in February at 225.8; I am now on my way to losing and trying to stay active.
    Me personally using the article mentioned and figuring calories to go by would make me feel very bloated and constantly not meeting my calorie goals.
    However, if it works for most, awesome! We are all here for the same reasons and have to find what works for us.
    @kimny72 I have food scale and do eat the amount of calories mention, actually are under but would agree if did not have food scale yes would actually be eating more than that, lol.

• try2again
    edited February 2019
    Options

Some do this, but many of those who have been successful simply incorporate the foods they love throughout their week in portions that stay within their calorie allowance. Many find that over-restricting during the week can lead to binges that ultimately hamper their progress.

Think about how you are going to want to eat forever and start doing that now, only in smaller portions. Then, when you are ready to maintain, which is the longest part of the process, you will simply continue to do that only with a few hundred more calories to play with.

• MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    niskmom wrote: »
    I’m on the 1200 cal a day too!

I’m doing spin classes at the gym 3 times a week. The biggest struggle I have though is eating at night. I just get hungry around 10-11ish 😓

I go to bed and bring 1 Hershey kids and a bottle of water.

For me it's Werther's hard candies. Three of them total 70 calories, and keep my mouth busy for a good while. i eat them while reading in bed, drink more water, brush teeth & go to sleep!